Odyssey of the Odyssey

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 27, 2017, 01:08:21 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 02, 2017, 12:59:08 PM
So I'm an idiot. There are two little screws with Phillips head that keep the rotor on the hub. Took them off and one more bang with my new trusty sledge and the rotor cake right off.

Got the rest of the job done and back together in about an hour. (Had to help wife some, she's steaming the aftermarket tint off the Impreza door Windows because stupid NY laws... Safety inspection is a month overdue :mask: )

now the OTHER side rear brakes need done.
I just got the van jacked, wheel off, sprayed the screws and through the holes in the rotor to loosen it up some.

Yes it would be nicer to just take it to a shop, but learning the skills and accumulating the tools is nice to just do it in my own garage in the future.

BTW yes it had 215k miles, we bought it at 168k in spring 2015. Former owner literally took it to the dealer for EVERYTHING. Even oil changes. Interior looked so pristine! Said they just took it on road trips.

Yeah, those screws are on all Hondas afaik.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Guess who is the proud owner of a new reciprocating saw???

Changing worn-out sway bar end links, the bolts & nuts were really rusted. The first side was just ridiculous, sprayed with blaster then tried to get the allen key (in the end of the shaft) and nut to come off but no dice. Put a wrench on what seems like it should have been to hold it still to get the nut off, it just spun some after moving where the shaft was sitting. Internet says people regularly cut these things off....

So $50 for a saw and the first side was off.

Second side I'd sprayed with blaster before lunch and I actually broke the nut free and was hoping to just get it off with a wrench but it got stuck on all the rust. LESSON LEARNED: I should have taken the dremel with wire brush to it.

So that one got sawed off too, only I learned from the first one to work the bottom end first. Less room to work and 1st one kept moving around so the saw couldn't get to it so I rigged a plumber pliers (wide wide jaw) with a vicegrip holding them shut tight...   :mask:

Second one was so much faster to cut.  Craziness!
Will

giant_mtb

Welcome to rust.  Virtually every job you do will include this much funness.

CaminoRacer

Lol yup. That's why I'm thinking about building a brand new Factory Five car as my next project.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 18, 2018, 07:31:04 AM
Welcome to rust.  Virtually every job you do will include this much funness.

I know, it's just been a long time since I've really wrenched on anything. Should have known better.

I started on an 11yr old Taurus. :mask:
Will

SVT_Power

Torch that sucker

(Not right after PB blaster, I'd give it some time...unless you want to light your car on fire)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 19, 2018, 09:27:28 AM
That's possibly my next tool purchase   :rockon:

10/10 would recommend. 

AutobahnSHO

Steering shimmy was a way bad tire. It had a couple of gouges an inch away from the rim on the (vehicle) inside sidewall. Went to get the tires balanced as I rotated them and guy saw it right away.

Shouldn't have passed safety inspection last month :mask: and thankfully it never blew out :mask: :mask:

Odyssey now has 218680 miles and 2 new tires on the rear. Got 80k mile Goodyear M&S all-seasons.
Will

giant_mtb

Tire compounds are crazy. 80k miles...I wonder how many rotations that is.  But I'm too lazy for maths.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 22, 2018, 03:16:35 PM
Tire compounds are crazy. 80k miles...I wonder how many rotations that is.  But I'm too lazy for maths.

the 65k tires were a little less.

I don't rotate them anywhere near enough.....  :mask:
Will

AutobahnSHO

I started to worry some about the timing belt in Odyssey. We rolled 123k miles last month. So made an appointment, but it was going to be after our Wyoming trip.

Last Saturday we returned from two week trip from the airport and the van was making a severe shaking and low Woob woob woob sound when braking. Got out, looked, nothing was seriously wrong, just figured it was brakes.

Took it in Tuesday for timing belt, and weird power steering noise, and asked them to look at the rear.
They said the rotor is warped (weird, it's old but it was fine before vacation). Motor mount was bad, replaced that. Out the door it was $1530 with taxes for t-belt, serpentine belts, waterpump, motor mount, coolant flush & replacement.

I get in the van and get up on the freeway and the oil light started blinking. I immediately pulled over (still on the on-ramp), shutoff engine and called them, they said to bring it back in. I check the dipstick, it's bone dry. I was panicked, didn't want to blow up the motor. Did the illegal u-turn, went back to service. Checked again, dipstick is bone dry. Light hadn't come on again.

They and I wondered how it was empty, it had been fine last time I checked (can't remember how long honestly, months?)  I know it probably leaks a little and burns a little bit but this felt crazy. They gave me 5 qts free of synthetic blend. I put 2 in and check dipstick, it's fine. :confused:   Took 3 qts back in, all just very weird.

I've priced out the parts and it will be $140+ taxes for rear brakes with better pads at Autozone. They wanted $320 total for the brakes.   Yay saturday!

(Last time I changed fronts, so hopefully I learned my lessons.)
Will

AutobahnSHO

I posted pics on the FB group, when I changed the oil today the bolt just spun. Pulled it back out and it brought some oil pan threads with it.

I am NOT a He-Man, so I doubt it has been I that cranked it down.

Ended up throwing some weird plug in to hold it till the Goodyear can get the pan in and replace it for me. The nuts holding the cat converter on look like a solid piece of rust. No thank you on getting the bolts holding the y-pipe to the engine off. They're way up inside a bunch of crap. Well worth the $350 to have the garage do it all.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Lol Goodyear said it was way harder than it's supposed to be. Only an hour and a half in the book. He'll have to comp the mechanic a couple hours of work...

Um, yeah, 15yr old exhaust removal. No thanks! $380 after taxes.
Will

shp4man

There is a point at which continuing to repair a vehicle is no longer cost effective. We call it "End of service life".
Or Ecology Auto wrecking... :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on October 05, 2018, 07:45:30 AM
There is a point at which continuing to repair a vehicle is no longer cost effective. We call it "End of service life".
Or Ecology Auto wrecking... :lol:

True but we're not there yet.

I think a big difference was the first owner took it to the dealer for everything, on good schedule. Also it wasn't torn up inside so little has broken or worn out.

We'll roll 229k tomorrow and I'd drive it to Wyoming right now if we had time and gas money....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Sounds like the van is groaning when turning the wheels.
Power steering pump? Or rack?
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 02, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
Sounds like the van is groaning when turning the wheels.
Power steering pump? Or rack?

If its groaning, and not whining, and if its doing it when its cold and stopping later, it might be water in the fluid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2019, 06:31:41 PM
If its groaning, and not whining, and if its doing it when its cold and stopping later, it might be water in the fluid.

We have a winner!!!

Found a good local shop right away- over the phone I start talking with them, he says it's usually not the pump but air or leaky hose. They found 2 bad o-rings right at the pump, replaced them, flushed the lines and reservoir. Good as new!

ALSO, last week the passenger side power sliding door got totally stuck. I had to turn off the power feature and man-handle it to close it. I remembered reading a long long time ago that the roller (wheel) right under the windows is plastic and eventually they break. So I had the shop look at that too. Sure enough, roller needed replacement.

Called last Wednesday, said they were busy until Monday. Dropped it off at 8am and it was DONE at 2pm!!!!  Amazing!!!
Almost $600 after taxes.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Heater blower now has an annoying
faint click that goes in time with speed of motor. :(
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 07, 2019, 07:16:58 AM
Heater blower now has an annoying
faint click that goes in time with speed of motor. :(

That's always annoying. Hopefully just a little chunk of something that will break loose at some point.  Or wear away.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

hahaha Reason why is in the Impreza thread, but we just wired $12,500 for a 2012 Honda Odyssey.

Gloss Black Pearl over tan leather, EX-L trim. Has SUNROOF!, backup cam, BT, sat radio, dual A/C, rear (digital) A/C, OEM DVD player with RCA inputs and 110v power, aftermarket rubber mats throughout (not the nice weathertech brand though). We also now get upgraded from our current van= power rear liftgate, roll-down 2nd row windows, a "cool box" glove box below the radio stack, giant removable center console between front seats, and an extra seat in the 2nd row. The 3rd row is 60/40 split so it's easier to get up and down than our 2003 (which is still a remnant of the 1st generation of "magic seat", it really takes two hands to lift the entire thing up!)

76,xxx miles. 2nd owner, who just bought it a year and a half ago but they are moving to Germany then possibly Romania after and didn't want to stick out as Americans so much so they bought a VW Atlas to take instead.  It has some damage on Carfax- in 2018 a storm blew a neighbor's tree limb off the tree and into their yard, broke the windshield, hit the hood hard enough to replace it, plus scratches on both front fenders were fixed. It has a little bit of scratch on a door we'll want to paint, like a shopping cart side-swiped it or something, and it's kinda dirty inside (family with young kids).

If all goes well we should drive it home tomorrow, then figure out if we sell "Sandy" or "Red".

Will

2o6

Why would they take a VW Atlas to Europe? That model isn't sold there.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2020, 10:39:12 AM
Why would they take a VW Atlas to Europe? That model isn't sold there.

Because they're service members, get the car shipped free, and went to the VW dealership because they think of it as a German company.

They didn't actually research anything.

CALL_911

Awesome man, those are very very nice cars. Congratulations

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 28, 2020, 11:06:51 AM
Because they're service members, get the car shipped free, and went to the VW dealership because they think of it as a German company.

They didn't actually research anything.

Pretty much. Which surprises me, based on he being a Major and his job seems fairly detail oriented.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 28, 2020, 12:51:38 PM
Awesome man, those are very very nice cars. Congratulations

Thanks!
Will

AutobahnSHO

"Puma". It has some scratches we need to touchup.
Skimmed through the owner manual tonight, need to go sync some phones and load some CDs into the "CD library"....
Will