El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Today I figured out that one of the high beam headlights is out. The list grows...

Gotta-Qik-C7

Good excuse for a HID conversion?  :rockon:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 10, 2008, 08:27:41 PM
Good excuse for a HID conversion?  :rockon:

Do folks make those for that body style?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2008, 08:34:06 PM
Do folks make those for that body style?
You have to buy the whole headlight assembly. They sell them ( round and rectagular) on Ebay. Then you have to buy the HID kit. A friend of mine has a set on his 1980 Cutlass. His takes a 9006 bulb in each headlight.

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 10, 2008, 08:37:22 PM
You have to buy the whole headlight assembly. They sell them ( round and rectagular) on Ebay. Then you have to buy the HID kit. A friend of mine has a set on his 1980 Cutlass. His takes a 9006 bulb in each headlight.

9006 isn't HID...

Are you talking about projectors with halogen bulbs?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2008, 08:43:48 PM
9006 isn't HID...
You have to buy your HID kit according to the number of the bulb that was origanally in the car. For example I have a 12k (blueish purple),9006 kit in the Z28! The kits go from 3k (yellow) to 30k (violet) but the HID bulbs are still numbered like regular halogen (9006.9005,H4,etc.)bulbs!

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 10, 2008, 08:47:03 PM
You have to buy your HID kit according to the number of the bulb that was origanally in the car. For example I have a 12k (blueish purple),9006 kit in the Z28! The kits go from 3k (yellow) to 30k (violet) but the HID bulbs are still numbered like regular halogen (9006.9005,H4,etc.)bulbs!

Oh ok, thanks.  I'm not too familiar with the retrofit business, but that makes sense.

hotrodalex

I might do that. I still need to check the wiring to make sure it's actually out and not just a wiring issue. If the bulb is actually out, I'll check the prices for HID conversions.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 11, 2008, 05:51:21 PM
I might do that. I still need to check the wiring to make sure it's actually out and not just a wiring issue. If the bulb is actually out, I'll check the prices for HID conversions.
The guy I get mine from cost about $72.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 12, 2008, 12:03:11 AM
The guy I get mine from cost about $72.

Lawl wut. I have Hella eurocode headlights in place of the crappy sealed-beams, but a brighter light would be cool, and would probably work fine with the low cutoff these things already have. Can I just get the bulbs and the ballast or does it need a different housing to handle the heat?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 12, 2008, 01:07:26 PM
Lawl wut. I have Hella eurocode headlights in place of the crappy sealed-beams, but a brighter light would be cool, and would probably work fine with the low cutoff these things already have. Can I just get the bulbs and the ballast or does it need a different housing to handle the heat?
If your eurocodes have halogen bulbs in the rear than you'll only need the HID kit (bulbs and ballast) for your car. If it (I'm assuming your talking about the Miata) still has sealed beams than you have to get the new housing. Now the kits I have only have (both are 9006 so my high beams are still regular bulbs) low beam. The dual beam setups (bi-xenon) cost a bit more. So you won't have a high beam unless you order a bi-xenon kit. With the output of these kits you will very rarely need high beams anyway.

Here's where I get my kits. The price is down to $69.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390001066603&ru=http://motors.search.ebay.com:80/390001066603_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

hotrodalex

Hmm, I could get yellow ones. Those could be cool. Of course I could just lower the voltage and get the same effect.

S204STi

Ugh, ebay kits ftl.  Aweful glare for other drivers.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 12, 2008, 07:36:48 PM
Hmm, I could get yellow ones. Those could be cool. Of course I could just lower the voltage and get the same effect.
:nono: 10 or 12k!

hotrodalex

Well I fixed the light. Just needed to snap everything into place.

I figured out where the engine came from. It's a 305 from a '79 Camaro. Makes 130 hp. I'm pretty sure it's making more than 200 hp now.

I also figured out where the engine out of my Camaro came from. Ironically, I think it's from an El Camino (but from 1971). I took most of it apart yesterday and it's in great shape. Not much wear and tear except for 2 cylinders. I plan on taking it to a local shop to get it cleaned up and painted. I'm also going to get a new cam. My dad knows a couple higher-ups at Edelbrock so he can get me one for cheap.

hotrodalex

Got a catalog from OPG a few days ago. Went through it all and figured out what I'm going to need. So far it's up to $5000...  :confused:

:lol:

Here's most of the list:

- floorboards
- seats
- seat belts
- door sills
- passenger door (they are mismatched right now - the passenger door is from a 1970 model and is different)
- door panels
- might get new dash components
- glove box
- tach
- horn
- center console
- shifter bezel & boot
- pedals pads
- bed mat
- tonneau cover
- weatherstripping
- various molding pieces
- passenger side mirror
- new interior door handle / windows cranks
- new tailgate skin
- tie rod
- new power steering box (lower ratio and lower boost level)
- disc brakes
- heater

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 03, 2008, 10:20:19 PM
Got a catalog from OPG a few days ago. Went through it all and figured out what I'm going to need. So far it's up to $5000...  :confused:

:lol:

Here's most of the list:

- floorboards
- seats
- seat belts
- door sills
- passenger door (they are mismatched right now - the passenger door is from a 1970 model and is different)
- door panels
- might get new dash components
- glove box
- tach
- horn
- center console
- shifter bezel & boot
- pedals pads
- bed mat
- tonneau cover
- weatherstripping
- various molding pieces
- passenger side mirror
- new interior door handle / windows cranks
- new tailgate skin
- tie rod
- new power steering box (lower ratio and lower boost level)
- disc brakes
- heater

All of that adds up to $5000? Muscle cars are expensive as shit.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

That's what it adds up to if I get brand new parts from the catalog. Chances are I won't do that for everything. I could make it a lot cheaper if I wanted, but I like to do things right and get them done nicely.

By the way, if that finished up the car (with the exception of paint), the total for the car would be under 9k. Not bad.

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 05, 2008, 05:45:41 PM
That's what it adds up to if I get brand new parts from the catalog. Chances are I won't do that for everything. I could make it a lot cheaper if I wanted, but I like to do things right and get them done nicely.

By the way, if that finished up the car (with the exception of paint), the total for the car would be under 9k. Not bad.

Certainly not bad at all, considering these cars actually tend to gain value with the amount of money you dump into them.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2008, 05:56:25 PM
Certainly not bad at all, considering these cars actually tend to gain value with the amount of money you dump into them.

Early El Camino's are going up in value. :rockon:

hotrodalex

Ordered some engine parts from Edelbrock. The biggest being a new cam :rockon:

It matches the intake on the 350 I have sitting out in the garage. I've decided to clean it up and put it in. Not sure what I'll do with the 305 yet.

Also got some valve springs.

And finally a box full of Edelbrock goodies. My dad knows Steve Whipple (VP of sales) at Edelbrock so I got him the stuff through him. Guess he decided to throw in some extras. :lol: Just a couple hats and shirts. Think there was a catalog or something too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 19, 2008, 07:18:57 PM

And finally a box full of Edelbrock goodies. My dad knows Steve Whipple (VP of sales) at Edelbrock so I got him the stuff through him. Guess he decided to throw in some extras. :lol: Just a couple hats and shirts. Think there was a catalog or something too.

Yeah, they do that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

What kind of heads do you have on that 350?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 19, 2008, 07:21:36 PM
Yeah, they do that.

It's more than usual though. Unless they upped the usual amount of stuff since I last mail ordered parts from them.  :huh:

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on November 19, 2008, 07:26:42 PM
What kind of heads do you have on that 350?

Not sure. Whatever came on the engine when I bought my Camaro. I really don't know much about the engine, just that the block came out of a '71 El Camino (ironic, huh?). I know what the intake and carb are because I put those on. Other than that it seems mostly stock, except the headers. It's in great condition except for 2 cylinder walls that have some wear marks. When I take it to a machine shop I'll see what they can do about those.

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

Got the third package from Edelbrock this afternoon, this one with a new timing chain in it.