The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Onslaught

Fuck me, it just hit me my MX-5 is 30 years old!
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

It's weird, I still think of NAs as being kind of fresh. If it ain't broke...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Will

shp4man

Just was reading up on these cars, getting the, Ns all strait, reading up. The NC is apparently the red headed step child because it added some comfort and convenience. And this one I'm looking at is a Grand Touring model- the over optioned Caddy of NC Miatas. Which is totally cool with me.   :lol:

Xer0

Personally, I really like the NC and would probably go for it.  It also really helps that its cheap for what it is  :lol:

shp4man

The more I read about the NC, the more I want the car. It's the perfect car for my needs.  :ohyeah:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a23490210/nc-miata-buyers-guide/

Laconian

:ohyeah:

I'm thinking of getting the Flyin' Miata Hush-O-Matic active exhaust for my car. You can hook it into the car's CAN bus, so that your intermittent windshield wiper speed control modifies the level of... uh, exuberance. At full-loud settings, folks say it sounds fruity and characterful like an Abarth exhaust.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 09, 2020, 12:21:36 PM
The more I read about the NC, the more I want the car. It's the perfect car for my needs.  :ohyeah:

Looks great with the chrome black wheels.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 09, 2020, 12:27:25 PM
:ohyeah:

I'm thinking of getting the Flyin' Miata Hush-O-Matic active exhaust for my car. You can hook it into the car's CAN bus, so that your intermittent windshield wiper speed control modifies the level of... uh, exuberance. At full-loud settings, folks say it sounds fruity and characterful like an Abarth exhaust.

So what do you do when you want intermittent windshield wiping? Drill holes in the muffler?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Is it okay to run my NA through a touchless car wash? It's filthy with dirt and road salt.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2020, 01:54:04 PM
Is it okay to run my NA through a touchless car wash? It's filthy with dirt and road salt.

Only one ay to find out!

FWIW, on the first Z3 I owned I took it through an automatic car wash once (was living in an apartment) and the top leaked in several spots. The top was always fine in the rain so I assumed it was something about the pressure or angles from the car wash system.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2020, 01:54:04 PM

wtf bro.

CaminoRacer

Just take it to a spray it yourself place.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
Just take it to a spray it yourself place.

Have you ever stood outside spraying a car at a carwash when it's well below freezing outside?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on February 09, 2020, 04:12:19 PM
Have you ever stood outside spraying a car at a carwash when it's well below freezing outside?

Yup. Denver 2 years ago when I drove cross-country during one of those artic freezes. Fun times.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 09, 2020, 03:59:21 PM
wtf bro.

What? If I can stay in my car while getting it washed, that's what I want to do. However, I'm hesitant to try a touchless car wash, and wanted to know if anyone else has done it with a ragtop with no issues.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on February 09, 2020, 04:12:19 PM

DIY car washes around here have garage doors.  If there weren't doors, lines freeze.  The concrete floors are heated, as is the water.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2020, 04:27:28 PM
What? If I can stay in my car while getting it washed, that's what I want to do. However, I'm hesitant to try a touchless car wash, and wanted to know if anyone else has done it with a ragtop with no issues.

Touchless is pointless. It's the equivalent of taking a shower where all that happens is you get suds sprayed on you and you aren't allowed to scrub.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: shp4man on February 09, 2020, 12:21:36 PM

My Dad had an NC for a while. Great car as long as you're not too tall (top of windshield can block your view). Would make a great DD

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 09, 2020, 04:44:55 PM
DIY car washes around here have garage doors.  If there weren't doors, lines freeze.  The concrete floors are heated, as is the water.

The ones around here don't.  The touchless have doors, the self-spray are open bays.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 09, 2020, 04:44:55 PM

Same with Fort Drum NY.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 09, 2020, 04:47:36 PM
Touchless is pointless. It's the equivalent of taking a shower where all that happens is you get suds sprayed on you and you aren't allowed to scrub.

I'd rather spray the crap off with water to clean it as much as possible before scrubbing it into the paint, though.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2020, 05:26:47 PM
I'd rather spray the crap off with water to clean it as much as possible before scrubbing it into the paint, though.

Well, yeah. That's why you rinse your car before you scrub it......?

SJ_GTI

Its been a while since I used an automatic car wash period, but when I lived in Canada I pretty much only used touchless car washes and I always thought they did a good job.

shp4man

Waxed the NC , even polished up the stainless exhaust tips, took it for ride in the curvy roads in the mountains outside town.
YouTube vids on the various MX-5 generations say the NC has the most body roll of all of them.
Damn, could have fooled me. I need to learn this cars full capabilities. Should be fun as hell.  :ohyeah:

Onslaught

I'd agree that the stock NC has the most body roll of any of the MX-5's. That's not saying it's horrible. It just has the most.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

HurricaneSteve

The NC MX-5 shared a platform with the RX-8 so it wasn't as "pure" as the previous Miatas but for most people it's an excellent sports car.