Another year another car (VTEC content inside)

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 08, 2019, 05:37:16 AM

AutobahnSHO

Congrats! fun fun.

It cracks me up when young guys don't heed the dad advice about how much kids changes everything (car buying, house buying, life priorities). So your comments about car seats being a major decision factor just make me go: "yup".

We just got rid of booster seats about a year or two ago, my youngest two are like a head shorter than everyone in their grades. Son is sprouting though.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Probably should have gone with a Toyota. The Avalon is quite sporty.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 08, 2019, 04:16:15 PM
yeah but it tends to bring out the rabble rabble rabble too. :lol:

Bah, it's the good kind of rabble.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

These new rear facing cold seats really are gigantic and for no real reason when you look at them.  Just tons of wasted space. Designers should be given a design constraint of the leg space needed for an adult - which is what a car is designed for.

I mean really, how can a 2 foot kid sitting upright take up more then 3 feet of legroom???

I don't remember this for the step son 12 years ago.  His seat fit in everything really easily.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on August 08, 2019, 02:21:22 PM
I kind of wish you kept us abreast of your buying process. Vicarious car shopping is fun.
I did on TCL, and they started calling me out for selling wolf tickets :lol: Plus 93JC was getting really angry at my financial irresponsibility :lol: Plus last time I got consensus I ended up in a Kia Optima :pee:

I had to do some soul searching and thinking on my own. Big realization I came to is that I am a car guy through and through and need something I'll enjoy. I might have ended up in something like a Mazda 6 if people had talked me into it :facepalm: I needed something a little more extreme but still responsible. I think this worked out

Quote from: r0tor on August 08, 2019, 06:36:46 PM
These new rear facing cold seats really are gigantic and for no real reason when you look at them.  Just tons of wasted space. Designers should be given a design constraint of the leg space needed for an adult - which is what a car is designed for.

I mean really, how can a 2 foot kid sitting upright take up more then 3 feet of legroom???

I don't remember this for the step son 12 years ago.  His seat fit in everything really easily.
Toddlers are closer to 3 feet tall, but it is a bit ridiculous. I look at the seats and all the material they could have removed. You look at something like a race seat for example. But that's neither here nor there. I think I will flip my seat around once she turns two. I'll do more research on seats if we have another one
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

For the record, I completely tried to talk you out of the optima  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Car seats are crazy these days. I'm all for safety, but damn. Strollers, too. :lol:

veeman

Congratulations!!  Nice car.  That's really good gas mileage although I'm assuming that's on premium 91 grade rather than the Optima's regular 87 grade.   

12,000 RPM

Yea, only takes 93, but the mileage improvement is bigger than the cost increase so it's still a net gain. I was initially adamant about getting a car that took 87 but in the context of all the other things I wanted it was minor. I'd wager my Optima would be a lot more efficient if it were... optimized :winkguy: for higher octanes.

giant_mtb

I put a tank of ethanol-free premium in the Taco the other day.  Turned a ~$45 fill up into a ~$60 fill up, but I like to run a tank of The Good Stuff once in a while.  Taco is now optimized.  :lol:

RomanChariot

Ethanol free I can agree with. If your Taco isn't designed to run higher octane you are just sending more unburned fuel through your exhaust. Premium is only The Good Stuff if your car is meant to drink it.

Laconian

You sure? I thought that higher octane only prevented unwanted combustion. Even with octane, it's probably still combusting fully in the presence of compression + spark.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 09, 2019, 11:08:18 AM
Ethanol free I can agree with. If your Taco isn't designed to run higher octane you are just sending more unburned fuel through your exhaust. Premium is only The Good Stuff if your car is meant to drink it.

Yeah, I did/do it more for the ethanol-free aspect than the octane...wouldn't bother if it was just the octane difference.  And even then, a tank of ethanol-free probably isn't really doing anything...it's not cleaning deposits or anything like that.  Alas, I do it anyway.  Or just dump the occasional can of Seafoam in with a fill-up.

12,000 RPM

When I lived near the lake I'd try and get ethanol free 93 for the Z. Anything to get above the typical 18-21 or so MPG it got

Ethanol lifts octane though which is why all the tuner bois drive 30 miles out of their way for fillups to say "I got dat E85 tune yo"

RomanChariot

Quote from: Laconian on August 09, 2019, 11:16:08 AM
You sure? I thought that higher octane only prevented unwanted combustion. Even with octane, it's probably still combusting fully in the presence of compression + spark.

In pump fuel the higher octane fuels burn slower so they have different timing requirements. If your vehicle doesn't call for high octane fuel it may not adjust the timing to adjust for the slower burn which can lead to incomplete combustion. This can lead to lower fuel economy and increased emissions. This does not apply to race fuels where you can get high octane, fast burning fuels.

Eye of the Tiger

Ecoboost Fiesta gets 93, just to be safe, because low speed preignition is a thing. The manual says it will be fine on 87, but come on, a high compressiom turbo is what it is.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2019, 11:37:15 AM
When I lived near the lake I'd try and get ethanol free 93 for the Z. Anything to get above the typical 18-21 or so MPG it got

Ethanol lifts octane though which is why all the tuner bois drive 30 miles out of their way for fillups to say "I got dat E85 tune yo"

It lifts octane, but reduces mileage, as ethanol only as about 75% the energy density of dinosaur juice.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 09, 2019, 11:52:32 AM
In pump fuel the higher octane fuels burn slower so they have different timing requirements. If your vehicle doesn't call for high octane fuel it may not adjust the timing to adjust for the slower burn which can lead to incomplete combustion. This can lead to lower fuel economy and increased emissions. This does not apply to race fuels where you can get high octane, fast burning fuels.

Bahhhhh Taco has VVT.

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L (3,956 cc) version, designed for longitudinal mounting in RWD and 4WD pickup applications. It has a bore and a stroke of 94 mm × 95 mm (3.70 in × 3.74 in). Output is 236 hp (176 kW; 239 PS) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb⋅ft (361 N⋅m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 240 hp (179 kW; 243 PS) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb⋅ft (377 N⋅m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1.

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2019, 12:30:27 PM
Bahhhhh Taco has VVT.

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L (3,956 cc) version, designed for longitudinal mounting in RWD and 4WD pickup applications. It has a bore and a stroke of 94 mm × 95 mm (3.70 in × 3.74 in). Output is 236 hp (176 kW; 239 PS) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb⋅ft (361 N⋅m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 240 hp (179 kW; 243 PS) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb⋅ft (377 N⋅m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1.

Good thing you got new tires to handle all that extra horsepower :rockon:

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 09, 2019, 01:58:58 PM
Good thing you got new tires to handle all that extra horsepower :rockon:

HELL YEAH BROTHER.

12,000 RPM

I put the 20s on.... will grab a pic, then take them off. Just worse in every way and they don't look good on this car. IF I get different wheels they will be light weight 18s or 19s but I kind of like the stockers

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

I really feel like this is gonna stay stock out of pure laziness :facepalm:

We are on vaca now... drove it down instead of the MKX; much more enjoyable. LKA worked OK and came in handy. And we were able to bring down all the crap associated with a toddler. If we had 2 kids or brought the dog it would be different. I still kind of want wifey to get another sedan though

r0tor

Lux Sport Sedan life is just awesome.

I would love to take the Giulia on vacation for the long drive but we go for the week and (the wife) bring way too much crap.

Morris Minor

I'm very late to the party on this Sporty. The last few weeks have been busy enough to distract me from important stuff like this.

Anyway many congratulations. Good choice. It looks great. You made me jealous.

(My 10 year-old G37 and the "Essence Sans Plomb - Eau de Parfum" CR-V have me sniffing around the manufacturer sites.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

I am still enjoying it and really feeling no pressure to modify it, which are both good signs. Gas mileage has dipped a bit but I don't mind. Still have to get rid of the Optima :facepalm:

As for your plight... CX-5 Turbo looks good