1985 BMW 518i With Reasonably Low Mileage Looks Good But Goes For $22k

Started by cawimmer430, September 23, 2019, 07:36:44 AM

cawimmer430

Lovely car, but man, these photos are terrible.

1985 BMW 518i With Reasonably Low Mileage Looks Good But Goes For $22k

A rare 1985 BMW 518i imported into the United States has been listed up for sale from European Motor Studio in Arizona on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $21,995.

The E28-generation 5-Series in question started out life in Japan before making its way over to the United States. It retains the original Platinum Green Metallic paint and only has 22,898 miles (36,850 km) on the clock.

Buying any car of this vintage is a risk as issues are all too common. However, the 5-Series appears to be in superb condition and there is reportedly no signs of accident repair or rust across the undercarriage – the Bimmer even features its original wheels and has obviously been well looked after.

The cabin seems pristine with no signs of cracks or discoloration across the black panels and importantly, all of the electronics are said to be in perfect operating order, including the original radio, power antenna, power windows and power locks.

Powering the E28 518i is a small 1.8-liter four-cylinder that makes 103 HP and 107 lb-ft (145 Nm). Despite its age, it is described to be in perfect running order and doesn't blow smoke on start up or during acceleration.

There's no doubt that $22k is a lot of money to spend on a 34-year old 5-Series, particularly when you consider that V10-powered E60 M5s can also be had for the same money, though that's a different beast altogether. Decisions, decisions...

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/would-you-pay-22k-for-a-low-mileage-1985-bmw-518i/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

I always wondered if these 80s vintage cars would ever have any collector value.
They are a difficult restore, as the plastic panels and old electronic components would have to be reproduced. Not easy.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on September 23, 2019, 08:13:56 AM
I always wondered if these 80s vintage cars would ever have any collector value.
They are a difficult restore, as the plastic panels and old electronic components would have to be reproduced. Not easy.

They just need enough demand. Repro'ing the plastic panels isn't a big deal and they do it for late 60s muscle cars already, since enough people restore those.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Really, a 518?  I can see higher spec models being desirable down the road as they still look pretty cool, but not the poverty spec cars.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Xer0 on September 23, 2019, 11:52:09 AM
Really, a 518?  I can see higher spec models being desirable down the road as they still look pretty cool, but not the poverty spec cars.

Poverty spec cars are the ones least likely to survive.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on September 23, 2019, 08:13:56 AM

Go to BMW Classic for help. They can provide you with the original factory-spec spare parts.  ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on September 23, 2019, 11:52:09 AM

I wouldn't really call it "poverty spec" as it does have some high-end features like an automatic transmission. Keep in mind that BMW (and other German manufacturers) built special cars for markets where engine capacities over a certain cc would get the hell taxed out of them. Italy, Spain, Portugal and France are such markets in Europe for example, and Japan is also pretty tax-savvy when it comes to engine cc.

Therefore some buyers in these markets would want a luxury car with a smaller displacement engine, but didn't want to miss out on the cool features that could be ordered with it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 23, 2019, 06:13:37 PM
I wouldn't really call it "poverty spec" as it does have some high-end features like an automatic transmission. Keep in mind that BMW (and other German manufacturers) built special cars for markets where engine capacities over a certain cc would get the hell taxed out of them. Italy, Spain, Portugal and France are such markets in Europe for example, and Japan is also pretty tax-savvy when it comes to engine cc.

Therefore some buyers in these markets would want a luxury car with a smaller displacement engine, but didn't want to miss out on the cool features that could be ordered with it.

All the high end feature of the automatic does for this is make it even slower and more lethargic.  Plus, this car isn't being sold in those markets but in the US where that doesn't mater.  I'd be curious to see if someone actually buys this thing.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on October 01, 2019, 10:22:44 AM
All the high end feature of the automatic does for this is make it even slower and more lethargic.  Plus, this car isn't being sold in those markets but in the US where that doesn't mater.  I'd be curious to see if someone actually buys this thing.

It was never sold in the US. This specific car was offered on sale in Japan and probably made it over to the US after the 25-year-rule on cars. In Japan this thing probably was driven in the city, on state roads (generally 60 km/h speed limit to my knowledge) and on their highways (100 km/h speed limit) so its "slow" acceleration wouldn't matter much.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2019, 04:17:59 PM
It was never sold in the US. This specific car was offered on sale in Japan and probably made it over to the US after the 25-year-rule on cars. In Japan this thing probably was driven in the city, on state roads (generally 60 km/h speed limit to my knowledge) and on their highways (100 km/h speed limit) so its "slow" acceleration wouldn't matter much.

Yes, when new, 35 years ago where other cars around it are comparably slow in Japan.  That's irrelevant though because now its being attempted to be sold in the US where everything from a Versa and up is faster than it.  This is not exactly some forbid fruit to the average US enthusiast here  :lol:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 02, 2019, 09:45:34 AM
A very uninspiring looking BMW.

I think it looks good.

My favorite 5-series is the early/mid-90's one though (E34).

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 02, 2019, 10:56:43 AM
I think it looks good.

My favorite 5-series is the early/mid-90's one though (E34).

It looks okay, but compared to some earlier models, 2002 for example (my favourite), it looks very humdrum.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on October 02, 2019, 09:38:01 AM
Yes, when new, 35 years ago where other cars around it are comparably slow in Japan.  That's irrelevant though because now its being attempted to be sold in the US where everything from a Versa and up is faster than it.  This is not exactly some forbid fruit to the average US enthusiast here  :lol:

Maybe someone just wants to cruise in it? Or do an LS swap?  :lol:

Besides, it's definitely quicker than some of those 1970s land yachts that struggled with weight and detuned engines - and those are apparently rising in popularity as sought-after classics.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 03, 2019, 09:31:49 AM
Maybe someone just wants to cruise in it? Or do an LS swap?  :lol:

Besides, it's definitely quicker than some of those 1970s land yachts that struggled with weight and detuned engines - and those are apparently rising in popularity as sought-after classics.

Huh, they are?  Wimmer, did you move to the states and start gobbling up all the oldies you've long pined for?!  :lol:

shp4man

Some of the late 70s stuff is becoming more desirable. Some of it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on October 03, 2019, 09:49:43 AM
Huh, they are?  Wimmer, did you move to the states and start gobbling up all the oldies you've long pined for?!  :lol:

In another thread Soup DeVille told me how some 1970s land yachts are becoming quite appreciated on the classic car market. You know, the smog-detuned stuff. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de