JDM Gem: Toyota Gives Crown Luxury Sedan A Mature “Sport Style” Treatment

Started by cawimmer430, October 05, 2019, 05:51:52 AM

cawimmer430

JDM Gem: Toyota Gives Crown Luxury Sedan A Mature "Sport Style" Treatment

Alongside the Century flagship, the Toyota Crown represents the pinnacle of the Japanese automaker's lineup in Japan.

In June last year, Toyota launched the 15th-generation Crown in its home market and now the executive sedan has received a sporty-flavored special edition. Aptly named "Sport Style," the new model is based on the S and S Four grades and brings special equipment that gives the premium sedan a sportier appearance.

On the outside, the Crown Sport Style gets unique multi-spoke 18-inch aluminum wheels which are said to produce less noise during driving than the standard ones. The standard specification also includes smoked LED headlights and taillights, as well as a dark treatment for the grille, fog lamp rings, and rear license plate garnish.

Changes made to the interior are equally subtle and effective, and consist of an all-black cabin offset by red accents on the seats, dashboard, center console, door panels and floor mats when the optional leather seat package featuring genuine leather is selected. Otherwise, the seats are a combination of fabric and synthetic leather, with the door cards also lined with synthetic leather.

All in all, Toyota says the Crown Sport Style goes for an "adult sporty" look, which we assume is the opposite of a "boy racer" look. This is one tasteful package although the bright red and blue available exterior colors might not be everyone's cup of tea in a society like Japan that values restraint more than anything.

The Toyota Crown Sport Style also comes with an extended safety kit including blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic auto brake. There are two engine choices available for the special edition model. The first is the base 2.0-liter turbo-four gasoline unit rated at 241 HP (245 PS) and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque. It drives the rear wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The second choice is a 2.5-liter hybrid with a combined output of 222 HP (226 PS), offered in both rear- and all-wheel drive configurations. Available from October 2 across Japan, the Toyota Crown Sport Style starts from 5,073,200 yen (approximately $47,475).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/jdm-gem-toyota-gives-crown-luxury-sedan-the-sport-style-treatment/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

By googling, a Lexus ES starts at the equivalent of $51,500 in Japan.  I'd rather have that.

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on October 05, 2019, 07:39:48 AM
By googling, a Lexus ES starts at the equivalent of $51,500 in Japan.  I'd rather have that.

Toyota sells the Lexus ES in Japan? I had no idea. Is it still based on a Toyota design that they also sell in their domestic market?

The current ES is also sold here, but I've only every seen one on the road, well a parking lot and it was clearly a dealer car.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 05, 2019, 06:07:27 PM
Looks handsome to me. Better than a lot of new messy/busy designs
Does it look sporty?

Ironing out the wrinkles would improve the looks of most cars.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 05, 2019, 06:18:10 PM
Does it look sporty?

Ironing out the wrinkles would improve the looks of most cars.

The changes they made are what many people might do to their own car to give it "sport style."  Wheels, smoked lights, blacked out grille...

Sport Style.  Not Sport.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2019, 06:40:32 PM
The changes they made are what many people might do to their own car to give it "sport style."  Wheels, smoked lights, blacked out grille...

Sport Style.  Not Sport.
Adult 'sporty' vs. juvenile 'sporty'.

veeman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2019, 09:52:42 AM
Toyota sells the Lexus ES in Japan? I had no idea. Is it still based on a Toyota design that they also sell in their domestic market?

The current ES is also sold here, but I've only every seen one on the road, well a parking lot and it was clearly a dealer car.

Yup! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/273253/2019-lexus-es-digital-mirrors/amp/