BMW To Launch Full Electric 1-Series By 2021, Could Be Branded i1

Started by cawimmer430, October 09, 2019, 11:54:24 AM

cawimmer430

BMW To Launch Full Electric 1-Series By 2021, Could Be Branded i1

BMW's plan to flood the market with electric cars involves launching a battery-powered version of the 1-Series that will be marketed as the i1.

The full electric i1 could arrive in the market as early as 2021, according to Auto Express which had a chat with BMW i boss Robert Irlinger.

"Even in the front-drive architecture you will see fully electrified cars," Irlinger said. "You will see electrification in our whole portfolio. We can rework our front-wheel-drive as well as the rear-wheel-drive platforms and both are able to show all technologies – our customers have the power of choice.

"Whatever they demand they can get – a plug-in hybrid X3, a fully-electric 4 Series, too. That's a big step and a big change in our strategy", Irlinger added.

BMW's EV strategy is to keep its battery electric vehicles visually similar to their ICE-powered counterparts. The German car maker's upcoming i4 will be the EV sibling to the 4-Series while the iX3 retains the same bodywork with the regular X3, so to expect the i1 to be a 1-Series with a blanked-off front grille isn't that far-fetched.

"The i4 is the four-door sports sedan, fully electrified, clearly visible as an iCar," Irlinger explained. "You can see the concept of the 4 Series as a two-door coupé and the i4 is going be the four-door coupé – it's going to be based on the concept, but it's fully electric."

The electric hatch could also offer the option of two electric motors, making it essentially all-wheel driven in addition to the more affordable front-driven version powered by just one motor.

As for the current i3, Irlinger said that you shouldn't expect a direct replacement. "We are not in the normal process of having a car that has to have a successor."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/bmw-to-launch-full-electric-1-series-by-2021-could-be-branded-as-the-i1/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

I'm totally on board with the all electric future.  Besides a few key engines that are legit legendary, most aren't anything special and no one will lament their passing.  No one cries that their car can't be powered by Hyundia's legendary 1.6L GDI engine.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Xer0 on October 09, 2019, 03:13:36 PM
I'm totally on board with the all electric future.  Besides a few key engines that are legit legendary, most aren't anything special and no one will lament their passing.  No one cries that their car can't be powered by Hyundia's legendary 1.6L GDI engine.

+1

I'd rather have a V8 in the El Camino but an electric motor in my DD. Instant torque at any speed, with no transmission, is dope. And I like having a quiet DD because all I'm doing is listening to podcasts not racing people. (except r0asting coal rollers in my EV)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Give me one for $25 thousand that on a full charge goes 350 miles (in the winter in sub freezing temp).  That's not going to happen any time soon in the U.S. where they don't heavily subsidize them as much.  Using fueleconomy.gov, when I compare the annual fueling cost of a Bolt with a 4 cylinder Camry, you save slightly less than $1000 a year with the Bolt.  But when you factor in a lot of the hassles of an EV, including the cost of installing a level 2 charger at home, and the higher initial cost of entry, you don't save any money.  They're cool and all and I'd love to have one, but financially the savings aren't that impressive.  Especially in the U.S. where the price of gas is cheap.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on October 10, 2019, 01:37:37 PM
Give me one for $25 thousand that on a full charge goes 350 miles (in the winter in sub freezing temp).  That's not going to happen any time soon in the U.S. where they don't heavily subsidize them as much.  Using fueleconomy.gov, when I compare the annual fueling cost of a Bolt with a 4 cylinder Camry, you save slightly less than $1000 a year with the Bolt.  But when you factor in a lot of the hassles of an EV, including the cost of installing a level 2 charger at home, and the higher initial cost of entry, you don't save any money.  They're cool and all and I'd love to have one, but financially the savings aren't that impressive.  Especially in the U.S. where the price of gas is cheap.
You have the QX9000 for long distance trips. EV could easily replace your.... Subaru?

As much hate as I have for EVs, one would make a perfect daily for me. On my commute the two things I want most are torque and silence, with decent grip. If someone besides Tesla can make a decent looking affordable EV.... :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs