Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 16, 2019, 06:49:20 PM
Phrasing?

People are buying them in California and the EU + China are trying to make them a think like "fetch". I think the big hold up is that we're at like 50% price parity (i.e. EVs from companies concerned with profit cost about 2x what they should). Once something like a Leaf costs what a Versa does then I think they will pick up in sales

I think we also need to get a unified SAE standard for charging (well, at least mandate everyone to follow it) because I don't want to have to deal with USB-C vs Lightening port problems.....but for my car.

giant_mtb

Yes. Standardization of chargers/ports is critical. We all use the same damn gas pump...we're gonna need the same sort of standard when it comes to charging for this EV BS to become widespread.

Currently, charging seems to be Manuf. vs. Manuf. to see who can come up with the bestest most fastest. 

veeman

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car_use_by_country#History

49% of new car sales in 2018 in Norway were electric.  For China it was 4% (over 1 million cars).  For the U.S it was 2% but for California it was 7.8%.

giant_mtb

Impressive, Norway.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 17, 2019, 07:46:04 AM
Impressive, Norway.

No import duties, no registration and sales taxes, no road tolls, and free use of ferries and bus lanes will do that :lol:

A Volvo XC90 starts at around the equivalent of $107 thousand in Norway. A Tesla Model X SUV starts at around the equivalent of $106 thousand there.

In the US a Volvo XC90 starts at around $48 thousand while a Tesla Model X starts at around $81 thousand.

giant_mtb

:confused:

Why so exspensive?  Shipping?

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 17, 2019, 09:08:57 AM

I believe there's still VAT.

Edit:  there was a VAT exemption up until 2018.  EVs purchased in 2018 and beyond are now subject to 25% VAT (reflected in the price) but buyers are eligible for a subsidy reimbursement equal to the value of the VAT (there may or may not be a cap on subsidy limits).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Excited for a private Monticello event this weekend...  Apparently I get test drives with

Alfa Romeo
Maserati
Jaguar
Land Rover
BMW
Porsche

Too bad I'm not a member as they get drives with Ariel and KTM
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

I'm at a sandwich shop for lunch and there's a Golf R parked out front with UMC (Miller Motorsports Park's new name) stickers on the windshield. Nice
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 19, 2019, 12:20:34 PM
Not a bad price, and not too far away.

Well, its a good thing it has a bed, because if I buy it I'll lose the use of mine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Put in a factory order for an Outback today. Locked in my trade in value. No deposit required, so I can walk away with no penalty if I want, but 90% sure I'm going through with it.

Basically had to factory order because what I wanted was rare. Outback XT Limited in green with black interior. All I've seen so far have the beige interior.

This dealership is the best. Really competitive pricing, zero pressure. Everything is based off invoice, including accessories. So for factory orders, you can individually select what accessories you want and they're 30-40% off MSRP, and you don't have to pay labor to get them installed. So I added a trailer hitch, wireless charger, auto dimming side mirrors and a couple of other things for cheap.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2019, 03:07:51 PM
Well, its a good thing it has a bed, because if I buy it I'll lose the use of mine.
I thought it might be a compromise.

r0tor

Just got back from a free event at Monticello.

Cliff notes...

I never got to drive the Giulia QV after 2 failed attempts and 2.5 hrs of waiting. Ughhh!!

The Stelvio Quadrifoglio was a riot. I had to completely adjust my head to what an SUV was capable of. I hit 120mph and 1.0g lateral. Was fantastic.

The Jag FType 400 was not good at all. Sound was nice but the chassis was just numb.

M2 Competition was fun but the brakes were absolutely miserable. I was sort of happy our group hit a slower group so I didn't have to use them hard.

The 911 Carrera 2s is just an absolute weapon. Power, chassis, brakes, sound, and ergonomics are just perfection. I did a track drive and a street drive and that thing was amazing on the track and then able to soak up bumps like a champ on the street. If you can afford one and can deal with basically a 2 seater I could not imagine an excuse for buying anything except that car.

Also got in a parade lap in my car!  :partyon:

I skipped Maserati and Land Rover and street drives with the M8.  Also passed on track drives with the M3 as I've done enough of that.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Wtf was this event??
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

It was "Art in Motion" at the Monticello motorsports club. Private invite (I guess I got hooked up from doing the M Track days) amazing event.  I *really* hope I can get an invite again next year... The 911 track drive will let me die one day a happy man

MrH

If you like the standard 911 that much, you must experience a GT3. It's basically driving perfection. Everything else feels like shit in comparison.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

With the performance and street ability of the 2020 Carrera S I really struggle to find a reason for anyone but a dedicated track rat for the GT3 (well besides looks...)

12,000 RPM

Sound

9000 RPM = the sound of God tearing through the fabric of spacetime.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 20, 2019, 09:44:35 AM
Sound

9000 RPM = the sound of God tearing through the fabric of spacetime.

What about 12,000 RPM? :orly:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 19, 2019, 06:28:38 PM
Just got back from a free event at Monticello.

Cliff notes...

I never got to drive the Giulia QV after 2 failed attempts and 2.5 hrs of waiting. Ughhh!!

The Stelvio Quadrifoglio was a riot. I had to completely adjust my head to what an SUV was capable of. I hit 120mph and 1.0g lateral. Was fantastic.

The Jag FType 400 was not good at all. Sound was nice but the chassis was just numb.

M2 Competition was fun but the brakes were absolutely miserable. I was sort of happy our group hit a slower group so I didn't have to use them hard.

The 911 Carrera 2s is just an absolute weapon. Power, chassis, brakes, sound, and ergonomics are just perfection. I did a track drive and a street drive and that thing was amazing on the track and then able to soak up bumps like a champ on the street. If you can afford one and can deal with basically a 2 seater I could not imagine an excuse for buying anything except that car.

Also got in a parade lap in my car!  :partyon:

I skipped Maserati and Land Rover and street drives with the M8.  Also passed on track drives with the M3 as I've done enough of that.

tl;dr

Something about a shitty Land Rover
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on October 20, 2019, 08:37:59 AM
With the performance and street ability of the 2020 Carrera S I really struggle to find a reason for anyone but a dedicated track rat for the GT3 (well besides looks...)

Everything is sharper. Steering, turn in, feel, noise, excitement.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

I'm so jealous. You must've been marked as a TTBer. How do I get on this mailing list? I want free track days with near-supercars :rage:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

There's an old 11-seater blue absolutely meticulously kept Land Rover here for sale- they want $57k for it.   :confused:  :facepalm:
Will

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2019, 12:53:08 PM
I'm so jealous. You must've been marked as a TTBer. How do I get on this mailing list? I want free track days with near-supercars :rage:

Yea, got to say it feels nice to be mistaken as a TTBer!  Then when I pulled in the attendant told me to park Giulia in the showcar lot.   :tounge:

If I have some critical thoughts on the 911 it's their new ridiculous LCD screens on either side of the tach and some weird toggle lever for a gear selector.  It looks terrible.  Their old setup was so much nicer but I guess you have to pander to reviewers with poor taste.