All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

cawimmer430

All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Ladies and gentlemen, these are the very first spy shots of the upcoming 2019 Mazda3 hatchback.

Scheduled to debut later this month at the LA Auto Show both in hatchback and sedan body styles, Mazda's all-new compact model looks promising in these first spy shots.

Our photographers spotted a fully-camouflaged prototype in Europe during testing and even got a peek at its interior. Fortunately, Mazda didn't bother disguising the cabin that much.

As you can see in our gallery, engineers tested the all-new Mazda3 alongside a VW Golf and Audi A3. Furthermore, a current Mazda3 was also part of the test group.

The design may be a bit toned down compared to the Mazda Kai Concept...

Both the bodywork and the cabin reveal clear influences from the Kai Concept, although the 2019 Mazda3 obviously looks a bit toned down in comparison.

The new Japanese compact hatchback displays harmonious proportions and striking details. Those include the sharp headlights and taillights, the gaping grille, as well as the dynamic treatment of the C-pillar. All of the above are influences from the Kai Concept.

Inside, the dashboard is also reminiscent of said study, adopting a similar layout with as few buttons as possible. As with the concept, the instrument panel features three round gauges and the steering wheel has three spokes. The big difference compared to the concept is the addition of a floating central touchscreen that breaks the continuity of the dashboard but is a "necessary evil."

The prototype seems to be a well-equipped model that features red leather upholstery, leather-wrapped dashboard with contrast stitching, and polished-aluminum trim, among other materials.

... but the technology certainly isn't...

The all-new Mazda3 will be the first production vehicle to use the automaker's SkyActiv Vehicle Architecture. The new platform is expected to bring improved refinement, a lower seating position, and better handling.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/new-2019-mazda3-hatchback-looking-sleek-inside-first-spy-shots/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Interesting that they haven't unveiled 2019 yet. Usually they're already on sale by now.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Xer0

And it still has the manual  :dance:

Crisis averted, for at least one more generation.

12,000 RPM

Just heard from a very reliable source this will not have IRS??!??

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I legitimately hate the term "IRS" now.

The Golf I was notable for having "IRS". You know what it was? A torsion beam.

Early drives of the Mazda 3 prototypes talk about the switch to a twist axle out back (cost, weight).

Torsion beams and solid axles aren't the same. The internet has conflated the two.

2o6

Like...y'all make it sound like they took the rear axle off of an old Chrysler van.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 18, 2018, 10:09:14 AM
So, torsion beam?  A step backwards.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 18, 2018, 10:09:14 AM

A very reliable source? Are Big Things ComingTM?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Laconian

So what's the likelihood that this will turn out to be a scourge for reliability?

IMO the fact that this has so much latitude for software tuning means that there's a lot of room for adjustment if Mazda really drops the ball. They could declutch the supercharger, tighten the conditions for compression ignition, adjust the spark timings, and so on.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

It really is a lot, and to be honest I'm worried. It's going to have to run perfectly, with A-1 management of all the parameters.

Mazda has been working on this for a while, so I think if they're putting it out they feel it's ready. But I still think this is a missed opportunity to make fun 3 pedal hybrids.

Laconian

Eh, Mazda's raison d'etre is good performance from low GVWR. They derive their sporting characteristics from weird engineering, not batteries or cubic inches.

After thinking about this, could this be an evolution of the Millenia Miller 2.3 engine? After all, a major part of the cylinder is to use a positive displacement supercharger to increase the effective pressure of the cylinder. Obviously there's a lot more to the solution, but the broad strokes do ring familiar...

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2018, 06:31:46 PM
It really is a lot, and to be honest I'm worried. It's going to have to run perfectly, with A-1 management of all the parameters.

Mazda has been working on this for a while, so I think if they're putting it out they feel it's ready. But I still think this is a missed opportunity to make fun 3 pedal hybrids.

There's a reason nobody does 3-pedal hybrids anymore (not that there were ever many of them for sale).  They aren't that efficient.  Can't run fully electric.  Basically restricted to a mild hybrid where the electric motor gives you some assist (allowing for an undersized IC engine).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2018, 08:01:54 PM
There's a reason nobody does 3-pedal hybrids anymore (not that there were ever many of them for sale).  They aren't that efficient.  Can't run fully electric.  Basically restricted to a mild hybrid where the electric motor gives you some assist (allowing for an undersized IC engine).

The eCVT is an excellent piece of engineering, yet boring as fuck to drive. I think some of the automated functions should be given manual controls. Maybe someone has already hacked a Prius's software in order to do something like that.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

CVTs should come with an airplane throttle lever to control the ratio.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2018, 09:31:25 PM
CVTs should come with an airplane throttle lever to control the ratio.

I've always wanted this, lol!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 18, 2018, 11:29:36 AM
Like...y'all make it sound like they took the rear axle off of an old Chrysler van.
:lol:

It's a downgrade. If torsion beams were equal to IRSs, IRSs would not exist.

To be fair there are great driving cars with torsion beams. But if you had the choice between a (torsion) beam and IRS what would you pick?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2018, 05:03:50 AM
:lol:

It's a downgrade. If torsion beams were equal to IRSs, IRSs would not exist.

To be fair there are great driving cars with torsion beams. But if you had the choice between a (torsion) beam and IRS what would you pick?

Its not always that simple
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2018, 06:02:30 AM
Its not always that simple
Of course not. But that doesn't close the gap

The 3 is a little too big and way too expensive IMO for a torsion beam.

giant_mtb

Virtually nobody that's going to buy this thing gives a fuck about the rear suspension.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2018, 07:46:00 AM
Of course not. But that doesn't close the gap

The 3 is a little too big and way too expensive IMO for a torsion beam.

Not much bigger than a MkIV Golf, and those were torsion beam.  As was the Euro Civic of a generation or two ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

New car buyers expectations on a "good driving" car has been so diluted by the SUV craze and general "buy tons of cheap shit" consumerism that this sort of think no longer matters.

Mazda is just cashing in on their brand equity they built in the late 90s and 00s.  They will need a new CEO with a new direction when they run out of equity.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on November 20, 2018, 09:21:08 AM
New car buyers expectations on a "good driving" car has been so diluted by the SUV craze and general "buy tons of cheap shit" consumerism that this sort of think no longer matters.

Mazda is just cashing in on their brand equity they built in the late 90s and 00s.  They will need a new CEO with a new direction when they run out of equity.

Mazda is making great stuff right now. Ur just mad they killed the RX-8.