VW ID Batteries To Be Backed By Eight-Year Warranty

Started by cawimmer430, June 18, 2019, 12:41:24 PM

cawimmer430

By the way, Auto Motor und Sport was able to drive one with the mid-range battery pack. Review is in German. The car and parts of the interior are still covered with camo. The review is positive...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3vccIQn2g

VW ID Batteries To Be Backed By Eight-Year Warranty

Prior to Volkswagen launching the all-electric ID.3 before the end of the year, the German automaker has announced that the vehicle's battery pack will come with an eight-year warranty.

Volkswagen says it will guarantee the capacity of the battery packs used in its forthcoming range of ID vehicles for eight years or 160,000 km (100,000 miles). These batteries will also retain at least 70 per cent of their usable capacity after this period is over.

"Our goal is to make sure the ID. batteries last as long as the cars," head of the Center of Excellence at VW Frank Blome said.

The VW ID.3 will be available in three configurations. Powering the entry-level model is a 45 kWh battery pack that offers up a range of 205 miles (330 km). Those looking for some additional range can opt for the 58 kWh version with a claimed range of 261 miles (420 km). The ID.3 family is then topped out by a 77 kWh version which can driven for 342 miles (550 km) on a single charge.

Volkswagen confirmed earlier this month that it had secured 20,000 pre-bookings for the ID.3 and is aiming to have 30,000 bookings secured by the time the Frankfurt Auto Show opens its doors in September. The first 30,000 examples bound for the production line will be special ID.3 1ST models fitted with the mid-range battery pack, available in four different colors, three trim levels, and outfitted with larger wheels, voice control, and a navigation system.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/vw-id-batteries-to-be-backed-by-eight-year-warranty/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

In related news, VW also announced last week that it is buying 20% of Swedish battery startup Northvolt, which is currently building Europe's first Gigawatt battery cell factory in Sweden. They claim that they are sourcing all of their resources like lithium, cobalt, and graphite within Scandinavia. Northvolt will also build a second Giga plant in Salzgitter, Germany to supply VW. Nothvolt was founded by  Peter Carlsson and Paolo Cerruti who both previously where executives for Tesla setting up the battery plant in Nevada.

I guess VW is fed up with LG Chem.

12,000 RPM

Interesting stuff. Looking forward to see when our reviewers get their fat greasy freedom hands on one. Still not sold on the viability of BEVs as mainstream or default choices.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

If they intend to sell them in the US, they'd better be warrantied for at least 8 years.  Federal regulations in the US require batteries carry an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty, so every Hybrid and EV currently on sale in the US has at least that as a warranty.  Certain states mandate even longer warranties (California is 10 years, 150,000 miles) on batteries.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2019, 01:30:13 PM
Interesting stuff. Looking forward to see when our reviewers get their fat greasy freedom hands on one. Still not sold on the viability of BEVs as mainstream or default choices.

What if charging times are roughly the same as filling a gas tank or better? Graphene batteries are starting to hit the market and supposedly charge something like 12x faster than current batteries.

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 21, 2019, 09:34:14 PM
Graphene batteries are starting to hit the market and supposedly charge something like 12x faster than current batteries.

They are!? What products have them? I thought they were still a ways off.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 21, 2019, 09:34:14 PM
What if charging times are roughly the same as filling a gas tank or better? Graphene batteries are starting to hit the market and supposedly charge something like 12x faster than current batteries.
Hit the market for real? If they are commercially viable for automotive use the conversation changes. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

cawimmer430

Regarding those graphene batteries, this would make the lithium batteries in most available electric cars today OBSOLETE.

On a side note, watched about five minutes of a Formula E race today and I was... un-thrilled (is that a word?). It was so... QUIET. All you hear is a little swoosh sound. Boring.

What makes racing exciting to me is the engine sound, obviously provided by internal combustion engines. When a car is accelerating and preparing to take over, when there are gear changes... all that creates these amazing sounds and I do feel that this provides an emotional and "soul" aspect to the race. Formula E was painfully dull to me.

That was also one of the issues I had when I was testing the Hyundai Kona EV and Hyundai Nexo Fuel Cell cars. They were so quiet. It's an unnerving feeling, especially when you're used to having an ICE make some noise. It's obviously a question of getting used to the feeling, but as a passionate car enthusiast I really think I'll have a difficult time adjusting to driving an EV / Fuel Cell car.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

I've read articles saying something to the effect of "Li-Ion is the best we have for a while, deal with it". That's why I'm dubious about the near-term availability of graphene.

The silence of electric cars is definitely nice for residents and workers that live near roads. Some of the bus lines here are going all-electric and it's nice to not have the deafening racket of a diesel engine climbing a hill when I'm walking on those roads. And this arterial street that I live near, which just keeps getting busier and busier, would become quieter.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 22, 2019, 12:03:08 PM
What makes racing exciting to me
Since when do you care about racing.

And no swipes, but low revving 4 cylinders are not exactly the best ICE noise makers. Even 3 cylinders are more interesting. If there's any engine that makes a case for killing off ICEs with BEVs, it's the standard issue 2.0T 4 popper.

Laconian

I think the turbo 2L engines are objectively pretty freaking amazing, they just sound bad.

Eye of the Tiger

The sound of the 1.0 Ecoboost is actually pretty sweet. It reminds me of a little V6, except with turbo whooshing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

For sure, they are pretty remarkable 2.0Ts. But if we're trading character for torque/response/efficiency, aside from the huge battery issues BEVs are the logical conclusion.

"The 2040 Bentley e-Arnage. Ascend to new heights with the same 500kW motors that power the elevators in the Burj Kalifa"

AutobahnSHO

Electric may look & sound tame but that acceleration!!!!
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2019, 10:55:25 PM
They are!? What products have them? I thought they were still a ways off.
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2019, 08:29:37 AM
Hit the market for real? If they are commercially viable for automotive use the conversation changes. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

I think I misread something. There's a company claiming that they've developed batteries for eBikes and similar applications - I thought I had read that they were actually selling a bike.

But still, it looks like graphene batteries could start hitting consumer electronics within the next couple of years. Evidently, a team of researchers recently figured out that one of the reasons graphene-based products have yet to live up to their lofty promises is due to imperfect silicon used to make the graphene. Hopefully now that they figured that out, they can figure out how to fix it.

Laconian

MrH

Graphene batteries will come to the cell phone world well before it ever makes an appearance with autos.  Much shorter development cycles, much less stringent validation standards, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

The scale is nuts. Figure that there's 4GwH of batteries made for phones every year. That's about 53K cars. So they'd have to scale that up like a hundredfold to make meaningful scale.

That said, assuming there's no rare earth metals or w/e involved, we do have plenty of carbon. And some companies seem very hopeful (as a smart company should :lol: )

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 24, 2019, 12:40:12 PM
Graphene batteries will come to the cell phone world well before it ever makes an appearance with autos.  Much shorter development cycles, much less stringent validation standards, etc.

True
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV