2020 Toyota Camry May Not Be Ideally Suited For Europe

Started by cawimmer430, July 11, 2019, 08:09:40 AM

cawimmer430

Interesting.  :popcorn:

2020 Toyota Camry May Not Be Ideally Suited For Europe

Europe's mid-size car segment is not only very competitive, but also full of nameplates that are extremely hard to overlook, such as the VW Passat, Opel/Vauxhall Insignia, Ford Mondeo, Peugeot 508, Mazda6, Renault Talisman or the Skoda Superb.

Can America's all-new Toyota Camry actually make a name for itself within that group? Well, based on this in-depth review by Carwow, it seems that it all depends on what your expectations are.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWmoPg7wDow

For starters, while the Camry does technically replace the Avensis, it doesn't exactly fill in for it in every sense of the word. For example, the Avensis used to be available with diesel engines to compete against the TDIs, HDIs, dCIs and TDCIs of the world, but the Camry is about a whole different approach.

European buyers can only purchase it with a hybrid powertrain, comprised of a 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, working alongside an electric motor for a combined output of 218 HP. It does work as an alternative to certain petrol-powered mid-size saloons, says this reviewer, but as an overall product, you might find that rival nameplates will offer you better value for money.

Also, while it does well for itself in terms of comfort and on-board tech, don't expect it to feel in any way engaging to drive, neither in a straight line nor in the corners. If you want a more dynamic car from this segment, you're probably better off with a Mazda6.

In the end though, if you want to steer away from diesels and like the idea of a hybrid powertrain, the all-new Camry will begin making sense.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/2020-toyota-camry-may-not-be-ideally-suited-for-europe/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

I thought the new Camrys were supposed to be more engaging and sporty
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

1. Mat doesn't like anything that isn't a VW product

2. No one really even buys cars of this segment in Europe anyways.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

cawimmer430

The Avensis was also a tad smaller than the Camry. But I all cars in this class have gotten bigger so I guess the Camry will fit right in in terms of size.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

We did get the Avensis in the USA: the Scion tC (totalCrap) was on that platform.
Yes I owned one. [shame]
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

Quote from: AltinD on July 13, 2019, 04:22:44 AM
NOT

Uh, yes. Sales of that model class are flat as hell. Some manufacturers haven't even bothered to craft replacements for aging D segment mainstream cars.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 12, 2019, 04:30:21 PM
We did get the Avensis in the USA: the Scion tC (totalCrap) was on that platform.
Yes I owned one. [shame]

I don't think they were related. This was our last Avensis. Not bad-looking for a Toyota of that era.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 13, 2019, 09:53:03 AM
I don't think they were related. This was our last Avensis. Not bad-looking for a Toyota of that era.

At least according to Wikipedia (which is not always accurate for car stuff, but generally is), they're on the same platform.

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 13, 2019, 09:56:21 AM
At least according to Wikipedia (which is not always accurate for car stuff, but generally is), they're on the same platform.

Isn't the Scion tC smaller? We're talking about this one, right? ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 13, 2019, 10:31:38 AM
Isn't the Scion tC smaller? We're talking about this one, right? ;)

Yup, both on the T270 platform. The Avensis is a good bit longer, but it's all in the overhangs (looks like mostly the rear). They have the same wheelbase.

cawimmer430

I guess that explains the weird side profile design of that Scion coupe.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

The Avensis is basically a long, slightly wider Corolla. The tC and Avensis were on the same platform.

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2019, 09:16:53 AM

Uh, yes. Sales of that model class are flat as hell. Some manufacturers haven't even bothered to craft replacements for aging D segment mainstream cars.

Flat sales (or even falling ones), isn't the same thing as "nobody buys that class of cars"

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2019, 11:03:30 AM
The Avensis is basically a long, slightly wider Corolla. The tC and Avensis were on the same platform.

:ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de