Electric Honda E Details Its Full-Width Digital Dashboard

Started by cawimmer430, July 29, 2019, 05:26:18 AM

cawimmer430

Electric Honda E Details Its Full-Width Digital Dashboard

As the debut of the final production version of the electric Honda E approaches, the Japanese car maker decided to shed more light into its high-tech cabin.

Honda's first production EV will feature an impressive "full-width digital dashboard", which is comprised by five neatly integrated HD displays across the width of the cabin.

In front of the driver there's an 8.8-inch digital instrument cluster with all the key information you want, including power and charge status, drive mode selected and safety feature details.

The largest area of the digital dashboard is occupied by the dual 12.3-inch touchscreen displays, with the system offering a range of apps and services via a sophisticated smartphone-style interface that's also customizable. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is of course included as standard.

The dual-screen system allows not only for two applications to be displayed side-by-side but also allows content to be swapped across them. For example, the passenger can swipe the navigation instructions to the driver's side, leaving the right display available for a music playlist.

The infotainment system also features Honda's new Personal Assistant, an AI-powered voice command system that can respond to natural questions and instructions. Thanks to its integrated machine learning feature, the Honda Personal Assistant can develop a greater understanding of an individual's voice over time in order to deliver more accurate responses.

The outer two displays are used by the Side Camera Mirror system, giving a natural feel and vision for the driver, while there's also the Center Camera Mirror system that's driven by a central rear-facing camera for a further enhanced field of vision.

Through a dedicated smartphone application, drivers can remain connected to the Honda E, offering them the ability to control functions such as climate control, security and location monitoring, battery charge and a driving range monitor, among other. The app will also offer a digital key function as well.

Honda's new E compact electric model will make its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in its final production guise. Power comes from a 147hp electric motor and a 35.5kWh battery pack, offering a driving range of "over 124 miles (200km)".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBd-gsW3G3o

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/electric-honda-e-details-its-full-width-digital-dashboard/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

As long as they can keep the price reasonable, Honda should sell a metric fuck-ton of these, especially in Europe.

12,000 RPM

Someone on another forum posted a pic of an E46 interior and I found the lack of screens disorienting

I think this is something we should get back to
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Let's continue to maximize driver distractions until humans can't even drive
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Well like I think I said elsewhere we are probably past the point of no return

I am mentally/emotionally ready for autonomous cars

cawimmer430

I do agree that there is "too much screen" and perhaps "too much information [at once]". Aside from that, lovely car. Love the design and the range is sufficient for city driving, where very likely 90+% of buyers are gonna use this thing.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Quote from: r0tor on July 29, 2019, 08:12:49 AM
Let's continue to maximize driver distractions until humans can't even drive

How else are you to learn about the origins of your favorite Bushwick ska band?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Xer0

I could totally see myself buying this car as a city roundabout.  Its cute, tiny, and looks pretty thrifty.  I'm surprised there's no set US release date.

FoMoJo

It looks cute, but 200 kilometre range is still not good.  In the winter, it would likely be a lot less.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2019, 12:01:16 PM
It looks cute, but 200 kilometre range is still not good.  In the winter, it would likely be a lot less.

More than enough for most urban commutes.  I could get to the shop and back over 20 times. :lol:

Xer0

200km will last me over a week in the city.  That is way more than enough.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on July 30, 2019, 12:27:54 PM
200km will last me over a week in the city.  That is way more than enough.
A suspect the harsh winters often experienced in Chicago with the heater blasting and defrosters on constantly, that range may well diminish somewhat.  Maybe not by all that much, but it is speculation at this point.  My Dyson V10 will vacuum for about an hour at the low setting, but turning it up to high, I get about 15 minutes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2019, 12:40:02 PM
A suspect the harsh winters often experienced in Chicago with the heater blasting and defrosters on constantly, that range may well diminish somewhat.  Maybe not by all that much, but it is speculation at this point.  My Dyson V10 will vacuum for about an hour at the low setting, but turning it up to high, I get about 15 minutes.

Well yeah.  Battery life diminishes in the cold, regardless of whether or not you have the heater on.  Batteries hate the cold.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 12:49:54 PM
Well yeah.  Battery life diminishes in the cold, regardless of whether or not you have the heater on.  Batteries hate the cold.
That too.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on July 30, 2019, 11:15:40 AM
I could totally see myself buying this car as a city roundabout.  Its cute, tiny, and looks pretty thrifty.  I'm surprised there's no set US release date.
How much would you pay for one though. And where would you charge it........

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2019, 12:40:02 PM

C&D observed a 19% drop in eMPG when comparing two Bolts around their fuel economy circuit in different weather, though a non-trivial portion of that was to get the batteries up to operating temps initially. Assuming the same loss for the Honda, that's 160km/100 miles, which is still plenty for a commuter.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 30, 2019, 01:31:17 PM
How much would you pay for one though. And where would you charge it........

Something this size I imagine 20K at the top end.  As for charging it, well...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28524175/tesla-owner-steals-electricity-charging/

Laconian

I wonder how chuckable it is. Honda tends to do brilliant things with their little cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I have a friend who has a Smart ForTwo Electric Drive. On paper it has a range of about 120 km.

On paper.

He lives in Dachau, which is about 35 km from Munich. He tells me that in the winter, with seat heating and the heater turned on he can barely make it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

I'm more concerned about salt and slush in the winter.

giant_mtb