The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Back when people had some semblance of audio knowledge.  Or at least the desire to tune it to their liking.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 09, 2019, 08:57:06 PM
Back when people had some semblance of audio knowledge.  Or at least the desire to tune it to their liking.

My new Kenwood has a lot of equalizer bands, but I have to scroll through digital menus using tiny buttons. The presets are actually pretty good. I use "Jazz" with bass boost on 1, and it's perfect for heavy metal.

afty

My parents had that exact Maxima when I was a kid. Ours made it to 180k miles before we sold it. Great car.

WookieOnRitalin

I called about it. Dealer was willing to move it down another $1000 for me.

No issues with it. Electronics all work.

Should I pull the trigger?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 10, 2019, 10:37:05 AM

Take another $1000

Payman

YES. Not sure where you are, but here that would qualify for Historic plates and be about $95 a year for insurance, $9 year for registration.

BimmerM3

Down $1000 from what?

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Payman

HELL YES. With that mileage and condition, I was thinking $7500-ish.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 10, 2019, 10:42:58 AM
4995 down to 3995.

Demand a timing belt replacement, and mention that you have a phobia of consecutive 9s and prime numbers.

FoMoJo

If it's as good as the pictures, jump on it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2019, 10:46:31 AM
Demand a timing belt replacement, and mention that you have a phobia of consecutive 9s and prime numbers.

Demand they do a $1000 repair job??? Buy it and do it yourself. That's the beauty of these cars. The average schmuck can maintain and repair them. I bet an OEM timing belt/pulley kit from Rock Auto is about $30.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 10, 2019, 11:12:53 AM
Demand they do a $1000 repair job??? Buy it and do it yourself. That's the beauty of these cars. The average schmuck can maintain and repair them. I bet an OEM timing belt/pulley kit from Rock Auto is about $30.

I'd do it for $300+parts

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2019, 11:36:40 AM
I'd do it for $300+parts

They will not do that service.

I, however, called the repair shop that had been doing the maintenance on the vehicle over the last 7 years. I got the entire life story of the vehicle. Belonged to a widowed old lady who's husband used to own a tire shop before he passed (who likely did the maintenance himself). It was a pleasant conversation down memory lane for ol' Mont.

We talked about the car for a bit, the maintenance they had done, and what his impression was of the vehicle. Seemed to believe it was in excellent status.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 10, 2019, 11:44:30 AM
They will not do that service.

I, however, called the repair shop that had been doing the maintenance on the vehicle over the last 7 years. I got the entire life story of the vehicle. Belonged to a widowed old lady who's husband used to own a tire shop before he passed (who likely did the maintenance himself). It was a pleasant conversation down memory lane for ol' Mont.

We talked about the car for a bit, the maintenance they had done, and what his impression was of the vehicle. Seemed to believe it was in excellent status.

Oh, I see. You should buy it, and drive it like you paid $3995 for it

93JC

That Dodge in Falher is only 20 km down the highway from the Comanche in McLennan! :lol:

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on January 10, 2019, 07:32:29 PM
That Dodge in Falher is only 20 km down the highway from the Comanche in McLennan! :lol:

Doge.

Eye of the Tiger

WookieOnRitalin

Well, it's in my carport now. The trip from Memphis was relatively uneventful.

Rides well. Engine is in good shape. For a 32 year old car, I cannot believe it runs that well. The seats are quite comfortable and finding a good seating position was a breeze. The battery is brand new as I watched them install it at the dealer. I really do not think those buttholes did anything to maintain it. If they did, it was the bare minimum.

The electronics are all in working order, but it looks like the switch mechanisms with which to engage them did not stand the test of time. The cruise button will not lock. The trunk release switch is not functional. The gas door release is also a bit janky. Transmission has a little jerkiness to it at highway speeds. Otherwise, all the power systems work minus the fact that I, at this juncture, do not know how to operate them all (there are a myriad of buttons).

I think the vocal alert system is still intact, but I think they disengaged it somehow as they told me the car would talk to them.

Oh, it has no cup holders or if it does, I have not found it. Apparently Japanese in the 80s did not think that a person might want a cup in his or her ride.

I'll obviously give more impressions after I get it inspected. For now, it's operable.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Payman

Cool that you actually pulled the trigger on it.  :ohyeah:

Payman

Like I said, about 30 bucks...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1987,maxima,3.0l+v6,1211274,engine,timing+belt+&+component+kit,5759

I bought new front struts, timing belt kit, brakes, etc for my '86 Cabrio from these guys in the past year. Just avoid the economy stuff. I went cheap on the top strut rubber mounts, and were terrible. Replaced them with units that were only a few bucks more.

Soup DeVille

Very cool.

No, very few vehicles of that age had cupholders. Cupholders really took off with the Chrysler minivans in '87, and slowly spread, virus like, to their current ubiquity.

The trunk release is likely a stuck cable. Get some white lithium grease and hit all the hinges, and lock and latch mechanisms with it.

Lots of switchgear that era has problems with old plastics in the switch giving way, or just degrading and becoming brittle. If you can find NOS replacements, thats the way to go, because junk yard stuff is likely in the same condition.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Yeah, if you find an '87 anything in a junkyard, it's been there 20+ years. Parts are so cheap for '80s cars, installing new ones is a no-brainer.

Payman

First purchase with my old cars is always a Haynes, or even better, a Chilton manual.

shp4man

I'm impressed you actually bought the car. They were nice cars, made at a time when the Japanese manufacturers were building better cars in an attempt to compete with Detroit. You may find other owners out there with a little internet research that could give you leads on parts sources, etc.
Younger people are beginning to warm up to '80's cars these days, unlike my old ass which pretty much thinks everything built after 1971 is a shitbox.  :lol:   

Payman

$6 for front brake pads, $12 for rotors, $20 for bearings... man I love old cars.