The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Well, shit.  Let me know if it's any good, eh?

Mustangfan2003

I hope to use some of it this weekend.  Here is a demo of their metal polish and yeah it's pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7G3-76IzQ&feature=related

giant_mtb

hotrodalex

How do you guys apply invisible glass? It's been a little streaky lately, so I've been wondering if it's because of how I put it on. I just spray it on the window and wipe it wih newspaper. Is there a better method?

(lolz iPod tried to change "better" into "heterosexual")

giant_mtb

You always need to do a second, dry wipe.  I've never been a fan of the newspaper method.  Just use microfibers.  Wipe once with a wet side, wipe again with the dry side.  Or continue using newspaper and give the windows a second wipe (not sure if newspaper will work well as a dry wipe; if not, just use microfibers to dry-wipe).

hotrodalex

Do you spray directly onto the glass, or just onto the cloth and then wipe?

giant_mtb

Onto the glass 99% of the time.  Once you're a few windows in, the cloth may be saturated enough to not need to spray the next window, too, which will help cut down on streaking/residue and save you minute amounts of cleaner!

giant_mtb

I acquired me some "glass buffing pads" when I ordered my goods a few weeks back.  Should be interesting to see how they work on nasty glass.

giant_mtb

Vinegar diluted in water makes for a great lubricant for a clay bar.  The vinegar really helps cut through tougher water spots (better than regular ol' spray detailer you might usually use when you clay).  I think I had it diluted something like 4Water:1Vinegar.  Just enough so you can tell the vinegar's there, pretty much.

:ohyeah:

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 24, 2011, 10:36:08 PM
Vinegar diluted in water makes for a great lubricant for a clay bar.  The vinegar really helps cut through tougher water spots (better than regular ol' spray detailer you might usually use when you clay).  I think I had it diluted something like 4Water:1Vinegar.  Just enough so you can tell the vinegar's there, pretty much.

Thanks for the tip. I find clay-barring to be the most satisfying of all car cleaning jobs.
Do you have a recommended brands. The postage-stamp size ones in the kits available in auto parts stores seem ridiculously expensive.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 19, 2011, 04:48:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. I find clay-barring to be the most satisfying of all car cleaning jobs.
Do you have a recommended brands. The postage-stamp size ones in the kits available in auto parts stores seem ridiculously expensive.

Clay is pretty expensive and usually is more expensive at auto parts stores.  I liked the clay I got out of the Mothers kit at WalMart for $20.  Came with a nice microfiber and a bottle of spray detailer and I liked the clay itself much better than the stuff that came with the Meguiar's kit I bought a couple years ago.  Or check out some of these options: http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html

Edit: They have the Mothers kit on autogeek, too, and it has a lot of positive reviews.  It's available anywhere, so I'd really just recommend getting that kit. http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html

Rupert

I used the Mothers kit; it was good. You get two clay bars, too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Morris Minor

Anyone have recommendations for leather cleaning & conditioning products? I've used Zaino in the past, which was great, but it seems very expensive. I have som Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner, but have not been too thrilled with them; the conditioner left the leather feeling greasy.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 15, 2011, 08:12:46 PM
Anyone have recommendations for leather cleaning & conditioning products? I've used Zaino in the past, which was great, but it seems very expensive. I have som Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner, but have not been too thrilled with them; the conditioner left the leather feeling greasy.

Read this first and then decide on how much you'd like to spend on leather cleaner/conditioner.

http://freshstartdetail.com/what-kind-of-leather-do-my-car-seats-have/387

Basically, UV protection is the way to go.  So a product like 303 would be excellent for leather.  Keeping it clean is easy with some light degreasing. 

hounddog

Honestly, I use Lexol on our X5 and never get the greasy feeling on it. 

Perhaps you are using too much, or, not wiping it off thoroughly enough?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 15, 2011, 08:12:46 PM

I like a product called "Gliptone".  It is really good at revitalizing older leather that may have been neglected.  You car will also smell like it has a real leathr interior.

Morris Minor

giant_mtb

Those are so damn cool. 

$$$$$$$

MX793

Didn't read through the thread, so maybe it's already posted, but does anybody have any good tips for removing dried-up, stuck-on bug guts?  Seems like no matter how much I spray with a high pressure washer and scrub with a soft cloth or sponge, I can't get them off.  I'd prefer not using abrasives or gently scraping with a razor blade.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Clay bar. GooGone. Any "tar & bug remover" you can buy at a store.

Or wet sanding!

CALL_911

Any tips on conditioning leather? I have crows feet in my driver's seat that I'd like to get rid of.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

I really notice how the paint on a car's hood takes a beating compared to the rest of the bodywork. Obviously it takes the brunt of wind borne damage, but I think engine heat cooks things in more than equivalent gunk elsewhere on the car.

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 21, 2013, 12:33:29 PM
Any tips on conditioning leather? I have crows feet in my driver's seat that I'd like to get rid of.

Chamberlain's Leather Milk
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 21, 2013, 12:33:29 PM

Getting rid of them won't be easy. That usually requires some steaming, pulling, and ironing...

However, any decent leather conditioner will help prevent further ones.

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 24, 2013, 06:49:58 AM
Getting rid of them won't be easy. That usually requires some steaming, pulling, and ironing...

However, any decent leather conditioner will help prevent further ones.

Goddammit

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed VW leather to be kind of shitty. The leather in my mom's A4 is not in fantastic shape, and even in my car, it's not holding up as well as I would have liked it to. On my dad's BMW, OTOH, it's a completely different story. Honda leather also, while it feels a bit vinyl-y, the shit does hold up well over time. Out of my limited samplings, I think I've been the most impressed by Lexus/Toyota leather, followed by BMW.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 24, 2013, 12:14:36 PM
Goddammit

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed VW leather to be kind of shitty. The leather in my mom's A4 is not in fantastic shape, and even in my car, it's not holding up as well as I would have liked it to. On my dad's BMW, OTOH, it's a completely different story. Honda leather also, while it feels a bit vinyl-y, the shit does hold up well over time. Out of my limited samplings, I think I've been the most impressed by Lexus/Toyota leather, followed by BMW.

Most people aren't fans of BMW leather, which I don't understand. The seats in my car are wonderful.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 24, 2011, 10:36:08 PM

Vinegar smells so god damn bad, I wouldn't use it no matter how well it works.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on May 17, 2013, 07:08:58 PM
Didn't read through the thread, so maybe it's already posted, but does anybody have any good tips for removing dried-up, stuck-on bug guts?  Seems like no matter how much I spray with a high pressure washer and scrub with a soft cloth or sponge, I can't get them off.  I'd prefer not using abrasives or gently scraping with a razor blade.

I use a product from wizards called bug remover(or bug something) works well. If they are real bad you can soak them a few times then wipe them off.

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 24, 2013, 12:26:51 PM
Most people aren't fans of BMW leather, which I don't understand. The seats in my car are wonderful.

Tons of BMW have leatherette seats (some materials I actually like better than leather).

I wouldn't be so quick to classify leathers by brand. They all buy from the same few suppliers, but each of those suppliers have various grades you can buy. There's a reason leather seats on a Mainstreamer feel like crap compared to an S-class.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Had a body guy at my shop do a machine polish on the WRX. Tomorrow I'll fill in all the rock chips, then It's time for some wax. Have your recommendations changed at all with that?