Black Betty

Started by CaminoRacer, April 24, 2016, 01:34:59 PM

CaminoRacer

I got the turn signal working. The ground wire came out of its connector so that was an easy fix.

I also re-wired the stator to bypass the lighting switch. Took it out for a test ride and it was still a bit hesitant to rev, but not as bad as before. I'm wondering if the valves are just a bit sticky from not being ridden for a year? I should probably check them
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Checked the valves today. Luckily the valve cover came off easily and none of the screws or bolts were seized. I need 3 shim changes. Unfortunately it looks like the factory installed the same shim size all around so I couldn't do any swapping. I'll probably stop by the local shop tomorrow and see if they have what I need.

2 exhaust shims are .01 mm loose and 1 intake shim is too tight. I feel like that's probably not enough to cause the rev issue, but who knows.

Eye of the Tiger

I would loosen that intake shim, and leave the exhaust shims. Exhausts are best left on the loose side of the spec, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 23, 2019, 08:25:28 PM
I would loosen that intake shim, and leave the exhaust shims. Exhausts are best left on the loose side of the spec, anyway.

Maybe. I'll order some anyway and play around with it to see what the engine likes more.

CaminoRacer

I tried to call around to some local shops to see if they had shims, but no. One shop didn't know what I was talking about. I think maybe he mistook diameter for thickness? I need 29.5 mm diameter, 2.75mm thickness. I don't even know what he said, but it was something about 8 mil I think. He asked if maybe I needed a shim for the suspension. :wtf: So I ordered them online because they don't deserve my business even if they actually had what I needed.

giant_mtb

A motorcycle shop that doesn't know about shimming valves...?  That's odd.  Did you talk to the service/parts dept. or was it just a salesman or something?

Eye of the Tiger

Well, if you just say "Hey Alexa, order me some shims", you might get a box full of soft wooden wedges for door frames. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2019, 09:43:31 AM
A motorcycle shop that doesn't know about shimming valves...?  That's odd.  Did you talk to the service/parts dept. or was it just a salesman or something?

Service/parts guy. I think that shop also does chainsaws and stuff. :wtf:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 25, 2019, 10:00:07 AM
Service/parts guy. I think that shop also does chainsaws and stuff. :wtf:

Ah, so it's not like a motorsports dealership with a service department, it's more like a small engine shop?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2019, 10:02:33 AM
Ah, so it's not like a motorsports dealership with a service department, it's more like a small engine shop?

Kinda. They sell dirtbikes and side by sides along with lawn mowers and stuff.

https://www.cutlers.com/

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 25, 2019, 01:35:56 PM
Kinda. They sell dirtbikes and side by sides along with lawn mowers and stuff.

https://www.cutlers.com/

On their service department page, there's literally a section labeled "valve adjustment".... :lol:

https://www.cutlers.com/services
https://www.cutlers.com/services/85775/valve-adjustment

Edit:  Though it does seem like they focus on the power equipment end when it comes to service...they don't list anything specific to motorcycles.  Just power equipment.

CaminoRacer

Yeah. I just ordered from Z1 online. I'll just wait a couple of days to put it all back together. I'm in no rush - the thing has been sitting for over a year at this point. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I got the shims yesterday. The intake 2.75 went in well, but the 2 exhaust shims are giving me weird results. I'm wondering if they dug grooves into the stocks shims to make them seem loose, when actually they were too tight. I went ahead and order 2 more 2.75 and 2.70 mm shims to see how they respond to thinner shims.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 29, 2019, 08:34:58 AM
I got the shims yesterday. The intake 2.75 went in well, but the 2 exhaust shims are giving me weird results. I'm wondering if they dug grooves into the stocks shims to make them seem loose, when actually they were too tight. I went ahead and order 2 more 2.75 and 2.70 mm shims to see how they respond to thinner shims.

I told you to leave the exhausts alone :evildude:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 29, 2019, 09:31:42 AM
I told you to leave the exhausts alone :evildude:

When I put the stock shims back in, they gave me tighter measurements too. Wtf yo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 29, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
When I put the stock shims back in, they gave me tighter measurements too. Wtf yo

Temperature change?

CaminoRacer

I think the shims are good now. Just waiting for the new valve cover gasket and I can get it all back together

CaminoRacer

Engine starts up quicker and revs normally. :rockon:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

I'm a dummy and didn't tighten the gas tank bolt before test riding last week and it's gone now. Luckily Bike Bandit has new ones, plus new spacers and rubber bushings. They also have the gas tank emblems so I ordered those. $37 out of my pocket because of the thief.

I also got a new rubber ball for the kickstand. The old one dry rotted off a while ago.

CaminoRacer

I've figured out that when my battery melted down, it probably burnt out any and all lightbulbs that were on at the time. Including my tail light and dash lights. But not the brake light even though it's the same LEDs, so it must have just burned out the soldered connection or something. Luckily a new LED brake light string is $10 on Amazon. I also got some other goodies that I'll post a picture of later this week once it's all installed.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on March 10, 2020, 02:46:46 PM
By a fr/rear set and get a $60 rebate: https://bridgestonerewards.com/

Oh nice. I need to get some more rides in and wear out my Shinkos!

CaminoRacer

My parking light blew out so I got a whole new headlight from Amazon for like $65. When I got the LED H4 bulb before I didn't realize you could get these full LED lights for cheap. I only knew about the $400 ones.

Eye of the Tiger

sweet
those stock headlights are terrible for actual night riding

I AM THE NIGHT RIDER!!! :lol:

CaminoRacer

This has a pretty good beam cutoff too

CaminoRacer

My starting issue wasn't gummed up carbs. The vacuum line for the petcock either came off or I failed to hook it up last time I had the tank off... Explains why the bike started but couldn't rev. Just didn't have enough fuel

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 01, 2020, 05:43:03 PM
My starting issue wasn't gummed up carbs. The vacuum line for the petcock either came off or I failed to hook it up last time I had the tank off... Explains why the bike started but couldn't rev. Just didn't have enough fuel

Sense is not made. Check your spindles for metal fatigue.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 01, 2020, 07:09:41 PM
Sense is not made. Check your spindles for metal fatigue.

I could get the bike started with the primer setting on the petcock but once I got it going and switched it to the normal vacuum setting, it would eventually die. Didn't want to rev or come off the choke because it accelerated the fuel usage and killed it faster...

Runs great now that the vacuum hose is connected