The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I guess Taco is a manual.  I can select gears 1-4...manually.

Galaxy

Apropos Manumatics

The Ferrari Mondial had a strange contraption where the clutch was automated, but one could row through the gears via a gated shifter. That could be an alternative to paddle shifters. The Mondial's transmission was by all accountants horrible, but that was because the technology was not really there to make a good automated clutch.

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on July 23, 2019, 11:03:38 AM
Apropos Manumatics

The Ferrari Mondial had a strange contraption where the clutch was automated, but one could row through the gears via a gated shifter. That could be an alternative to paddle shifters. The Mondial's transmission was by all accountants horrible, but that was because the technology was not really there to make a good automated clutch.

Porsche had a similar transmission they called Sportomatic; it was a manual transmission that could not shift on its own, but it had a torque converter and automatic clutch that activated when you started moving the shifter from gear to gear.  But, as I recall, Porsche still described it as an automatic transmission, even though it was not capable of shifting itself. 

https://www.total911.com/porsche-911-rs-book-volume-2-now-on-sale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7p13TdeJw
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

I just try to be specific about it.

"Traditional Auto" or "torque-converter auto"
"DCT"
"SMG"
"CVT"
"stick shift" or "manual"

If someone in the car world calls a transmission "automatic," I assume they are talking about a traditional, torque converter auto.

I wish manufacturers would do the same. Sometimes it's damn near impossible to find technical details straight from the source.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2019, 11:14:24 AM
Porsche had a similar transmission they called Sportomatic; it was a manual transmission that could not shift on its own, but it had a torque converter and automatic clutch that activated when you started moving the shifter from gear to gear.  But, as I recall, Porsche still described it as an automatic transmission, even though it was not capable of shifting itself. 

I think some VW's had that as well. They're very rare and odd.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 23, 2019, 11:27:08 AM
I think some VW's had that as well. They're very rare and odd.

They did, as the autostick. Mostly found in type-3s.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 23, 2019, 11:41:02 AM
They did, as the autostick. Mostly found in type-3s.

Type 3s had a regular automatic. The Autostick was in Beetles from '68-on (in fact, the '68 cars with autostick were the first ones with IRS, too instead of swingaxle. The manual trans Beetles didn't get IRS until '69.

the '50s and early '60s Renault 4CV had a similar setup that used an electrically operated clutch that was activated when you moved the shift lever: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/february-1956/22/impressions-renault-750-frelec-automat

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

And my favorite; the Wilson preselector gearbox.

You had a gear change pedal, instead of a clutch, and you would preselect the next gear you wanted to be in. Pressing the left pedal engaged the (fluid) clutch, changed gears, then released the clutch, considerably faster than most gearboxes of the time.

https://daimlerandlanchester.com/how-to-drive-a-pre-selector/
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2019, 11:14:24 AM

Sounds a bit like the old Chrysler Fluid Drive, but it had a clutch pedal.  They just stuck a torque converter in front of the clutch and gear box so that you could have it in any gear and stop and start without declutching.  If you wanted a more rapid take off, you could shift it into first by the normal method of depressing the clutch and shifting gears or, if you felt lazy about shifting, just leave it in high gear, usually 3rd, and start and stop without the depressing the clutch.  '40s technology.  3rd gear starts were kinda slow though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 23, 2019, 06:14:07 AM
Something something fully semi-automatic.

Yes, it has a clutch, which is also automatic.

Chances are there's also a clutch on the alternator, and the starter motor. They also work automatically.

Technically, a torque converter is a type of clutch (viscous clutch).

For me, it's less about whether it has a manual clutch, automated clutch, or torque converter and whether or not you manually have to command a gear change or if the transmission is capable of changing gears on its own based on a set of external parameters (vehicle speed and throttle position, generally).

I would classify the old SMG Toyota MR-Spyder as a manual because the transmission had no automatic mode.  There was no clutch pedal (the clutch was automated), but it would not, under any circumstances, change gears unless the driver moved the gear selector.  I'd put the old VW Beetle Semi-autos in the same bucket.  The clutch was automated, but the transmission would not change gears unless the driver moved the shift lever.

If the gear selector has a "D" and, upon selecting that, the car's computer decides what the appropriate gear for the situation is, then it's an automatic.  Whether it may also be shifted manually is irrelevant.  Tiptronic is an automatic.  DSG is an automatic.  Different mechanical implementations, but the same user interface and basic operation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Agreed. If the transmission has a "D," it's automatic, whether or not it has a manual mode.

2o6

I understand why this car can and doesn't have a manual transmission, but am I crazy for feeling like cars now aren't interesting to me anymore?

I know obviously there is so much more to driving than changing gear, but at this point I kind of don't care anymore.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on July 23, 2019, 06:12:55 PM
I understand why this car can and doesn't have a manual transmission, but am I crazy for feeling like cars now aren't interesting to me anymore?

I know obviously there is so much more to driving than changing gear, but at this point I kind of don't care anymore.

Cars keep getting "better", which makes them boring and stupid. I just want a Prius now so I can save gas.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Not at all.

I concede the DSG is faster, than manually shifting shouldn't be a deal breaker on a car
so blindingly capable.

I don't care. This doesn't get the blood moving the same way.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 23, 2019, 06:27:53 PM
Not at all.

I concede the DSG is faster, than manually shifting shouldn't be a deal breaker on a car
so blindingly capable.

I don't care. This doesn't get the blood moving the same way.

I'm not sure if its the fact it's an automatic transmission, or the people who vehemently argue against manual transmissions. And this is coming from someone who likes CVT automatics.

FoMoJo

Driving has become a bit too civilized regardless of how capable the car is, unless you take on a track.  I really haven't had any fun driving since I sold my Sunbeam Tiger.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

I really hate paddle shifters.  After spending some time in a Subaru Outback rental with paddle shifters, I found I hated them being there.  I accidentally activated the downshift paddle at one point.  They were frequently in the way of where I wanted to rest my hand, so I had to hold the wheel differently to avoid accidentally pulling one of the paddles.  Or I'd hit them when maneuvering in a parking lot when I had to do some hand-over-hand steering.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on July 23, 2019, 06:47:44 PM
I really hate paddle shifters.  After spending some time in a Subaru Outback rental with paddle shifters, I found I hated them being there.  I accidentally activated the downshift paddle at one point.  They were frequently in the way of where I wanted to rest my hand, so I had to hold the wheel differently to avoid accidentally pulling one of the paddles.  Or I'd hit them when maneuvering in a parking lot when I had to do some hand-over-hand steering.
I have paddle shifters on my Discovery Sport, never intentionally used them though have accidentally pressed them.  Fortunately, they're only activated in sport mode; which I never use.  Kind of silly having them.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 23, 2019, 06:54:40 PM
I have paddle shifters on my Discovery Sport, never intentionally used them though have accidentally pressed them.  Fortunately, they're only activated in sport mode; which I never use.  Kind of silly having them.

On some cars, including the Subie I had, pressing the paddles even in "Drive" engages sport mode temporarily.  I think the idea is that if you want to command a downshift for engine braking down a hill or something, you don't have to engage sport mode, you can just grab the paddle.  Then, after some period of not using the paddles, the car transitions back into regular Drive and puts itself back into whatever gear it thinks it should be in.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

I think part of the excitement around the C8 is that it's the first even remotely new idea in the automotive world in a long time. I think that's part of why people are so crazy about Tesla as well.

Cars have become so predictable and standardized it's understandably hard to get excited. How can one get excited about a formula?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

"Real" driving will eventually be relegated to off road (and the track).  It's one of the last bastions of actually having to pay attention while driving, automatic transmission or not.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 23, 2019, 07:28:51 PM
I think part of the excitement around the C8 is that it's the first even remotely new idea in the automotive world in a long time. I think that's part of why people are so crazy about Tesla as well.

Cars have become so predictable and standardized it's understandably hard to get excited. How can one get excited about a formula?
I'm interested in seeing how the race version performs at Le Mans.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 23, 2019, 07:32:12 PM
"Real" driving will eventually be relegated to off road (and the track).  It's one of the last bastions of actually having to pay attention while driving, automatic transmission or not.

No no no. Stop it. Go away.

r0tor

I use the paddles in the Giulia pretty often for pretty much no real reason other then they feel nice and I like listening to rev matched downshifts
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on July 23, 2019, 07:48:06 PM
I use the paddles in the Giulia pretty often for pretty much no real reason other then they feel nice and I like listening to rev matched downshifts

Those are the same reasons that I like using the paddle stick in Dakota.

BimmerM3

Personally, I care more about being in the right gear at the right time more than I care about pushing a clutch and moving a shifter.

GoCougs

Thing is, the manual transmission has gotten only slightly better where as automatics, no matter their flavor, have gotten infinitely better.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2019, 08:37:02 PM
Thing is, the manual transmission has gotten only slightly better where as automatics, no matter their flavor, have gotten infinitely better.
YUP!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide