A new bed for Ol' Blue.

Started by shp4man, July 04, 2019, 02:09:11 PM

shp4man

So today, after checking on when I last got a tetanus shot,  ;) started ripping out the exceptionally rotten and rusted OEM bed.

The carriage bolts that hold everything together weren't too rusted, but it's easier just to zap them with an angle grinder.

Going with 3/4 x 4 x 8 exterior grade plywood, will be sealed and painted when done, plus POR-15 the rust on the bed sides that was caused by trash and old leaves staying wet in there for years on end.

Also, scored these period reflectors for the tailgate, which were required by many western states in the 60's. So the truck looks "right" to me with them.

cawimmer430

Love the patina on the rest of the body. Keep it that way. Don't restore that.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

In progress shot. It's too damn hot to work on in the afternoon.

FoMoJo

Looks good.  What's in the cooler?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Nice. Are you going to keep them natural color or stain them darker?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 04:25:58 PM
Nice. Are you going to keep them natural color or stain them darker?

OE was painted black. I even bought some black paint. But the wood grain is nice. What do you think?

CaminoRacer

Light colored might be nicer on hot sunny days. What are you gonna do about the wood sides at the front?

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2019, 04:34:16 PM
OE was painted black. I even bought some black paint. But the wood grain is nice. What do you think?
So sort of heavy duty urethane. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 04:48:44 PM
Light colored might be nicer on hot sunny days. What are you gonna do about the wood sides at the front?

Let them turn weathered and grey. Patina, baby. ;)

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2019, 05:00:44 PM
So sort of heavy duty urethane. :ohyeah:

I was going to thin out the black paint a bit so the wood grain would show through- sort of a fake patina thing. I could stain the pine wood a bit darker, though, and apply some sealer. I mean, wood is really nice looking, but does it fit?

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2019, 05:05:31 PM
I was going to thin out the black paint a bit so the wood grain would show through- sort of a fake patina thing. I could stain the pine wood a bit darker, though, and apply some sealer. I mean, wood is really nice looking, but does it fit?
A darker stain would work, especially with the rust look. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 21, 2019, 06:08:14 PM
High gravity beer?
Actually old books. Needed something to hold down warped wood. I've had some pretty high gravity beer, though. 12%. Damn Trappist monks, how do they do it? Secret of the ages....

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2019, 06:25:01 PM
Actually old books. Needed something to hold down warped wood. I've had some pretty high gravity beer, though. 12%. Damn Trappist monks, how do they do it? Secret of the ages....

St. Bernardus?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2019, 05:05:31 PM

Oh, a thinned black coat would be cool

shp4man

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 06:44:23 PM
Oh, a thinned black coat would be cool

Ya, that's what I'm going with.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2019, 06:49:33 PM
Oh ya.

The Abt 12 is one of my top 5 beers right there. The ABV% may increase the longer it sits in the bottle.

Galaxy

I would not paint the wood. Given the California climate can you you get away with keeping it open pore and just oiling it?

shp4man

Quote from: Galaxy on July 22, 2019, 12:21:53 AM
I would not paint the wood. Given the California climate can you you get away with keeping it open pore and just oiling it?

I could just use a sealant on it. It was originally painted black from the factory.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on July 22, 2019, 12:21:53 AM

The trick with that is wait until its weathered to your liking, and then paint it with Penetrol, a pain additive usually used for increasing adhesion.

It protects the wood, the won't change the look.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Letting the wood weather & dry out a bit before painting or treating is a good idea.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 23, 2019, 06:02:50 AM
The trick with that is wait until its weathered to your liking, and then paint it with Penetrol, a pain additive usually used for increasing adhesion.

It protects the wood, the won't change the look.

Normally people take things to numb the pain, not add it. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 23, 2019, 09:29:14 AM
Normally people take things to numb the pain, not add it. :lol:

I'm leaving it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

GMs original design used the wood as a structural component. When the original wood rotted away, the steps and front of the bed got pretty shaky.
So I braced everything with steel brackets. The wood is no longer a structural member.

CaminoRacer

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 23, 2019, 06:11:50 AM
Letting the wood weather & dry out a bit before painting or treating is a good idea.

+1

That being said, being painted (thinned out) black doesn't sound bad either.