toot toot Sonic warrior

Started by 2o6, March 29, 2016, 11:25:34 AM

Soup DeVille

But didn't you replace the transmission like the day you got this?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

I'm like 95% sure that Kevin meant "100k miles since the last check-in," which really means 200k+ miles on the car. I don't know normal expected life for all those things, but that doesn't sound too bad to get from 100k to 200k.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on May 13, 2019, 02:35:32 PM
This post reads like one of Wimmer's

"Just replaced 6 ignition coils in the last 5k miles.  Runs great.  Great car, super reliable" :lol:

Yeah, but Wimmer has 77k miles on his car. And you hold onto cars for what...six weeks?

I have 147k miles on my car, and I drive like 900+ miles a week.

I just realized that the initial post makes it sound like I have a 100k check in.

No, I've put 100k miles on the car since I bought it.

Secondly, all of these sensors are really accessible. The coolant reservoir cost $25 and is held on with two bolts. The Map and boost sensors are held on with one Torx T15 screw. The accessory belt is literally factory. The alternator actually still worked, just made noise, and once again the time it took for me to remove the alternator, intake, and replace both and the belt tensioner (it was also making noise) took literally 90 minutes.

I also did spark plugs...since well, I don't think I've ever changed them since I've owned the car.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 13, 2019, 03:14:24 PM
But didn't you replace the transmission like the day you got this?

Dealer did, for a shitty synchro after I complained.

100k miles later, it's fine. No scratches or grinds. Same clutch, even. Holds and engages all gears just fine.

If it makes you feel any better, my first Yaris had a slow synchro on 2nd; and my friends xB didn't have 5th until he decided to actually replace the trans at 228k.

Is it as reliable as say, an equivalent Honda or Toyota? Probably not. But everything so far has been easily serviceable, parts are really cheap, and once again...I've put 100k on the car since I've bought it. I'm still pleased with it. It drives well and looks good.

Not to say that Honda's and Toyota's don't have issues though - i'd Imagine most any car with close to 150k miles would start showing wear and other weird issues, too. All the important parts work; shifts good, holds all fluids. Doesn't use any oil or coolant. No weird sounds or suspension noises.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 13, 2019, 03:33:40 PM
I'm like 95% sure that Kevin meant "100k miles since the last check-in," which really means 200k+ miles on the car. I don't know normal expected life for all those things, but that doesn't sound too bad to get from 100k to 200k.

No, 100k since I bought it.

(147k miles)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 13, 2019, 03:33:40 PM

Maybe, and that would change things.

But he bought the car 3 years ago with 46,000 miles on it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2019, 03:39:09 PM

(147k miles)

Ahh. Well, its kind of a bit better then.

2o6

Also...the problem with a lot of european cars, is that the equivalent parts would be more expensive, and far more of a pain in the ass to fix.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2019, 03:39:09 PM

(147k miles)

Ah, ok. I'll count it as half-right for me. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 13, 2019, 03:43:59 PM
Ah, ok. I'll count it as half-right for me. :lol:

I'll count you as 53% wrong.

2o6

Now, if I were replacing all this shit at say...75k miles, yeah you'd have a point.

But 150k and all this shit, and a great deal of it was preventative maintenance? Sounds pretty good tbh. The integrated PCV/Intake is a dumb design, but the intake is only held on with six torx T30 screws, and it's pretty easy to take off. Tie rods and endlinks are basically wear items.

I think all of that shit combined was about $650  ish for the entire year, including labor for the things I paid to have done. I don't like doing suspension and front end work, so I paid my mechanic to do the tie rods and end links. (Not counting the tire replacements)

Yet and still, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I'm not really pouring money into it every other week. The battery died last August, the tie rods and endlinks I did in November, and the alternator, intake, knock sensor wiring, spark plugs I did two days ago.

The coolant reservoir I'm not even going to count; it took me literally five minutes to change.

CaminoRacer

"Pretty reliable and easy to fix" is better than "crazy reliable but a bitch to fix", IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

yeah that's really pretty good for a car that's being driven (I assume hard) in the city.
Will

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 13, 2019, 04:00:49 PM
"Pretty reliable and easy to fix" is better than "crazy reliable but a bitch to fix", IMO.

Literally every car has problems. I think a good gauge of reliability is how often, easy, and cheap those problems are to fix = reliability.

2o6

Check-in.

The car has 192K miles on it now.

I just replaced all four shocks, lower control arms, outer and inner tie rods, and did a brake job as well. The rear drums and shoes will also need attention soon. I checked about six months ago, and they were nearing the end of their lifespan.

Drums on FWD cars are great. Out of the cars I've owned, I think I've replaced the drums and shoes exactly one car; the Focus. And it had 150K miles.

It feels like a basically new car now, and hopefully it'll last me another 50K miles. It'll nice to be able to drive for awhile with no car payment. I like this car a lot.

mzziaz

Nice. My Punto have rear drums too, actually
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on July 06, 2020, 08:35:32 PM
It'll nice to be able to drive for awhile with no car payment. I like this car a lot.

Awesome!!  Are you saving for that dream car? :lol:
Will