Mazda 3 Hatchback Review - 2o6 style: "Is this your king?"

Started by 2o6, July 23, 2020, 07:29:03 PM

2o6

I've been doing more writing pieces, and I wrote this piece about a Mazda 3 I drove yesterday as a way to relax from the very heavy writing I've been doing about the shit going on in the world.

https://2o6.kinja.com/is-this-your-king-2020-mazda-3-review-1844481216

"It is a sharp-looking car; the exterior looks particularly expensive. The greenhouse is a bit restrictive, but once again, works - the "two-window" design I think makes the car look rakish. The sides of the car are remarkably unfussy, with the headlights, grille, and taillamps doing most of the heavy lifting showing intricate details. The car has a wide and planted stance, and the car itself looks very low compared to other compacts on the market."

Speed_Racer

Good read! IMO the sedan looks way better with this redesign. I can't find a non-awkward angle of the hatch

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 24, 2020, 10:06:53 AM
Good read! IMO the sedan looks way better with this redesign. I can't find a non-awkward angle of the hatch

I disagree! I think the chunk looks distinctive and classy, like the Alfa Brera.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Good article. I have a newfound appreciation for Mazdas since I got the Miata. The best Japanese brand, IMHO. That's now, not in past decades.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on July 24, 2020, 11:15:44 AM
Good article. I have a newfound appreciation for Mazdas since I got the Miata. The best Japanese brand, IMHO. That's now, not in past decades.

The 90's on up has been a good run for their sports cars, starting with the FD RX7, holy crap.

The Mazda6 marked the transition of their mainstream product from ersatz-Hondas with too much Ford DNA to something special.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on July 24, 2020, 11:05:59 AM
I disagree! I think the chunk looks distinctive and classy, like the Alfa Brera.

That's funny because the sedan makes me recall the Alfa 159 sedan

SJ_GTI

#metoo

2o6

Thanks for the comments, guys!  :cheers:

I think I'm starting to find my groove with this writing thing.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on July 25, 2020, 12:23:11 PM

I think I'm starting to find my groove with this writing thing.
I read the whole thing which says something.  Most reviews I give up about half way through.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Great review.  Stunning looking car.  I dunno in the US how often these small hatchbacks are purchased or leased with the intent of regularly having adult sized rear seat passengers.  I know you used your Sonic as an Uber car though. 

Meaning in the U.S. someone who regularly has adult rear seat passengers... why would they get a small hatchback?  Just wondering out loud.  A Mazda CX5 is basically the same price as this car. 

I'd love this car as a daily driver to work.  I agree with you.  It's too expensive.  Just looks great though, exterior and interior. 

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on July 26, 2020, 12:04:57 PM
Great review.  Stunning looking car.  I dunno in the US how often these small hatchbacks are purchased or leased with the intent of regularly having adult sized rear seat passengers.  I know you used your Sonic as an Uber car though. 

Meaning in the U.S. someone who regularly has adult rear seat passengers... why would they get a small hatchback?  Just wondering out loud.  A Mazda CX5 is basically the same price as this car. 

I'd love this car as a daily driver to work.  I agree with you.  It's too expensive.  Just looks great though, exterior and interior. 

The previous generation can fit full size adults in the back with no problem. The new 3 sedan has a reasonable amount of legroom. It's just the current hatch that's problematic.. sigh..

Speed_Racer

I've been sitting in a bunch of Mazdas as my GF is shopping around for her next ride. I'd expect the 2020 Mazda3 hatch is a hard sell when a 2yr old CPO CX5s comes in at a similar price ($23-26k). But the CX5 has more a comfortable rear seat and larger usable trunk space. The 3 (and CX30) have such a raked hatch that it cuts into the usability of the trunk for larger items like furniture.

veeman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 26, 2020, 12:42:16 PM
I've been sitting in a bunch of Mazdas as my GF is shopping around for her next ride. I'd expect the 2020 Mazda3 hatch is a hard sell when a 2yr old CPO CX5s comes in at a similar price ($23-26k). But the CX5 has more a comfortable rear seat and larger usable trunk space. The 3 (and CX30) have such a raked hatch that it cuts into the usability of the trunk for larger items like furniture.

In the US a brand new Mazda CX-5 base model (sport) and next level up (touring) start from 25 - 28 thousand depending on FWD vs AWD. 

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on July 26, 2020, 12:34:23 PM
The previous generation can fit full size adults in the back with no problem. The new 3 sedan has a reasonable amount of legroom. It's just the current hatch that's problematic.. sigh..

What I'm saying is Mazda doesn't have to make the rear seat that roomy or with good sight lines because it's not really meant for regularly carrying adult sized rear passengers.  They have the equally priced Mazda CX-5 and Mazda 6 for that.  This car is meant to be a real stylish upscale good driver single person or two person car which can occasionally be used to take on additional passengers. 

In the US I don't see a lot of small hatchbacks being used as family cars with adult sized rear passengers.  I see Camcords or mostly SUVs for that.  Small hatchbacks are bought as work commuter cars, delivery driver cars, people who don't have kids cars, and empty nester cars. 

AutobahnSHO

Fantastic writing- really the only criticism I could offer is take off the dealer plate from the body if you're going to take photos in a parking lot! :thumbsup:
Will

Payman

Agree 100%

CaminoRacer

I didn't like the rear view when it first came out, but in-person it looks great. Very muscular yet classy.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2020, 06:36:00 AM
Fantastic writing- really the only criticism I could offer is take off the dealer plate from the body if you're going to take photos in a parking lot! :thumbsup:

:hesaid:

It was entertaining and informative. It actually posited an opinion, too! That's something that is sorely lacking with today's anodyne advertorial review fare. Nobody provides actual criticism anymore.

2o6

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2020, 11:03:07 AM
:hesaid:

It was entertaining and informative. It actually posited an opinion, too! That's something that is sorely lacking with today's anodyne advertorial review fare. Nobody provides actual criticism anymore.

It drives me crazy when I search for a car review and just get spec comparisons. Total clickbait garbage to get $0.000001 from ad revenue.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

It could be a nice car for you, depending on your needs and how much money you're willing to spend.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie