The Miata

Started by Rich, November 21, 2013, 01:16:55 PM

Rich

I took the door panel off the Miata. Looks like an aftermarket remote lock/unlock actuator has been installed. I never received a remote unlock fob for it.

Options? 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Is there a brand or part number on the actuator?  May be able to track down a replacement remote.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

Says Baron

Manufactured feb of 99. No other info. Tried to google it and came up with nothing

Rich

I need some electrical help

How do I remove this remote lock receiver and do it correctly?

I've unplugged and taken the receiver out. I've removed the wire that went to the door lock actuator. I'm not sure what to do with this multicolor wiring connector. Do I leave it as is?  Do I need to cut it off and wrap the wires in electrical tape?  Or do I need to complete some kind of electrical circuit so the car will function correctly. (I've disconnected the battery to avoid issues)

AutobahnSHO

I would try just plugging battery in and seeing if the car still works. Won't hurt it but maybe the alarm(?) will go off?

Why did you remove the receiver? Didn't work?

I would SUPER avoid cutting OEM wiring. If anything you might need a jumper from one to another (or maybe a couple)
Will

Rich

I left the reciever out and the harness not plugged into anything and it worked.  So I'll wrap it with electrical tape and affix it to something.

Also, upgrayyyyeds:

New battery that's the correct size, and made just for the Miata from Orielly's.  The old one was a bigass spanish battery that I got when the car died in Spain

Also, new speakers:

CaminoRacer

Those speakers should be a yuuggggee upgrade. :rockon:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

Speakers sound great!  I've ordered a new battery tray as the stock one had been crushed by years of shops stuffing oversized batteries on top of it. Also some stock looking side market lights to replace the aftermarket ones installed to make it Europe legal.

Rich

I've got to check to see if some oil has gotten onto the alternator and try and clean it out.  If it's not oil then I'll be replacing an alternator over thanksgiving weekend. 

I was thinking as I drove the Miata to work yesterday how much I wish I could just keep driving instead of going to work.  I never get that thought in the 86, even when I'm going to work. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on November 16, 2018, 11:06:21 AM
I've got to check to see if some oil has gotten onto the alternator and try and clean it out.  If it's not oil then I'll be replacing an alternator over thanksgiving weekend. 

I was thinking as I drove the Miata to work yesterday how much I wish I could just keep driving instead of going to work.  I never get that thought in the 86, even when I'm going to work. 

So the answer is Miata.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on November 16, 2018, 11:06:21 AM

HAHAHAHAHA   And now I wake up anxious to go to work just to drive Miata. But then I get to work and just can't wait to get out of work to drive Miata.

---------- ------------------

Just ordered plates: SKR4PPY.    :thumbsup: All the better variations were taken.

And for realz I'm super happy with the car- but spent some "quality time" with it today.

I was off work so went to get the safety/emissions done. I was a bit scared as the check engine came on last night for the EGR thing, but I cleared it and they were cool with that today. But the center brake light was out.

They wanted $13 to fix it, I ran down 2 blocks and popped a new bulb in. But it didn't light. Go home and dig out multimeter, 9v battery is dead, no replacements; go to Wal-mart. Come home and check the wiring, getting some voltage at the connecter but not enough for bulb light.

Was there previous work on it before? There was an odd aftermarket wire going from trunk to splice then behind padding in the front of the trunk from right to the left (driver) side then into some weird connector. I checked everything I could, still no dice. So I ended up splicing a new wire from right-side brake light to the center and now it works.

------- -------------- ------------

Funny enough when I bought my NA in 2012 the center brake light didn't work either. I had to splice a wire because the one was broken right at the trunk bend. That car had been rear-ended at least twice, so I guess they didn't mount the wiring right so it got pinched over time.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Speaking of rotors, (different thread)-

Got 4 new tires on Scrappy when I came back from Kuwait. Plus is they aren't crazy bad in rain any more. Minus is they are not half as grippy on dry pavement as the old ones. Got done fairly cheap 75k mile warranty all seasons.

They said I needed front brakes. Today was telework day so I skipped a little and pulled the front wheels off.

Pads were TOTALLY worn down. :mask: I haven't done brakes on this car since I bought it, so 5 years ain't bad!!! Luckily the slotted rotors were fine!

This is over of the first car jobs that actually went smoothly for me- got the nuts loose, lifted and put on jack stands, went to parts store. Figured I would change the oil too.

Old pads came off easy, realized I didn't have anything to push the caliper 'closed', had to go get a $6 c clamp from Lowe's. New pads went on and everything was fine there.

I HATE where the oil filter is, but got that done without too much mess. I had a slight panic moment, I started up and backed up and there is a slight hill in the driveway, pedal on the floor and I'm pumping like crazy to not roll into a tree :lol:

All good though!
Will

AutobahnSHO

I think it's time for front wheel bearings? I hear some weird rubbing "wub wub wub" sounds as I pull into the garage with the wheel turned to the right a lot..
Will

AutobahnSHO

Scrappy got a new valve cover, motor mounts and welding on a loose heat shield this week. $600.

It was rattling so bad it was kind of embarrassing. So nice to go out multiple times top down today!
Will