Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Man you just can't beat the excitement of a pro-touring style muscle car. So much violence and yet it will stick the road (unlike previous muscle car builds that only went straight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wiPj3jT1g
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2019, 12:21:21 PM
"terrible roads in Germany"- shows one picture of a patched pothole on a rural two-lane.

Mon ami, we've got potholes in city centers that swallow Fiats.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkx5OwWrOhs

ff to 0:30

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M9IeeAMR5EI

HOLY SHIT. Where do all your tax dollars go!?  :mask:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on February 20, 2019, 05:41:28 PM
You call that terrible?  That would be considered average or above average here.  We've got holes that crush steel rims at 20 mph.  A coworker hit a hole so large that it set off the pyrotechnic pre-tensioners in his seatbelts because the engine subframe impacted the ground, prompting him to have to replace all of the seatbelts in his car.

The road I photographed was in relatively "good shape" considering some of the really crap roads we have here. The Autobahn I use almost daily for example has a section with POT HOLES that are about a foot deep from what I can see. They are thankfully in a speed limited section (80 km/h) and I wonder if whoever is responsible felt the need to put up a cheaper speed limit sign than actually repair those pot holes. Driving on that stretch requires constant swerving and attempting to avoid the pot holes. It's disgusting how these things are not repaired in this supposed "First World Country".

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on February 20, 2019, 06:35:14 PM
Since we're sharing war stories, here's how a road I took last June looked:

Hard to see the massive pothole at the hill crest:

:mask:

Quote from: 2o6 on February 20, 2019, 07:48:53 PM
https://www.facebook.com/stephen.meyers.39/videos/2181370025262639/

Here ya go. That's in Missouri.

:mask:

We have similar conditions on some roads in Munich. I will take some shots if I can, maybe on a Sunday when there's less traffic. Unbelievable how roads in First World Nations are allowed to disintegrate.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Here's a random (potentially dumb?) question:  Why, when jump starting a car, are you supposed to ground the vehicle being jumped via the block or some other  non-battery ground?  I've always done so simply out of habit, but what is the difference between that and grounding it via the battery?

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 21, 2019, 01:49:22 PM
Here's a random (potentially dumb?) question:  Why, when jump starting a car, are you supposed to ground the vehicle being jumped via the block or some other  non-battery ground?  I've always done so simply out of habit, but what is the difference between that and grounding it via the battery?

Less chance of causing a spark in proximity of the battery.  Not as much of a problem with newer sealed batteries, but non-sealed batteries can off-gas hydrogen which can create a fireball in the presence of a spark.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Interesting.  Good to know.

CaminoRacer

I always just use the battery posts. And try as hard as I can to avoid the temptation to make sparks.

Soup DeVille

I always figured it was just to bypass any potentially lousy ground wire.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 21, 2019, 03:09:34 PM
I always just use the battery posts.

I've done that a few times as well.  No issues, same results. 

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 21, 2019, 03:11:27 PM
I always figured it was just to bypass any potentially lousy ground wire.

Wouldn't a bad ground wire only be a problem if you were connecting to a chassis ground rather than the battery terminal?

Also, if you connect the terminals in the correct order, the risk of sparks is minimal.  The positive is more likely to spark than the negative, so as long as you connect the positives first and then the negatives, you can connect terminal to terminal with minimal risk.  I've always gone terminal to terminal the few times I've needed to jump start a car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2019, 05:08:36 PM
Wouldn't a bad ground wire only be a problem if you were connecting to a chassis ground rather than the battery terminal?

Also, if you connect the terminals in the correct order, the risk of sparks is minimal.  The positive is more likely to spark than the negative, so as long as you connect the positives first and then the negatives, you can connect terminal to terminal with minimal risk.  I've always gone terminal to terminal the few times I've needed to jump start a car.

Well, assuming you're trying to get power to the starter, no, you'd want to ground to the engine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Stupid Mazda keeps flashing the battery light and I'm supposed to drive down state this weekend. Gonna rent a car because I'm not swapping an alternator on the side of the road in the snow. Nuh uh.

cawimmer430

Was supposed to have a four-SUV shoot today (Audi Q2, Hyundai Kona, Mazda CX-3 and Fiat 500X) but it got canceled due to the rain and moved to Monday. Last night they dropped off the Audi Q2 at my place.

The editor has encouraged me to drive around in the Audi for the weekend. Cool. I shall do that!  :lol:

It's an Audi Q2 30 TDI with 116-horsepower and a 6-speed manual. It's a 1.6-l engine and I think this is a non-Quattro car. Gonna enjoy this weekend - Diesel power and a manual transmission.  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Next consulting check comes, we're ricing out the Optima. Coilovers and 20s. I need new tires and it's probably due for shocks anyway. Make it enjoyable while I'm stuck in it. Recalls have killed all resale so I've accepted being 2 for 2 in writeoffs :cry:

Then accelerating the payoff, hopefully by the end of 2020... and buying the 10th gen Civic EX-L I should have bought 4 years ago :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2019, 06:31:15 AM
Next consulting check comes, we're ricing out the Optima. Coilovers and 20s. I need new tires and it's probably due for shocks anyway. Make it enjoyable while I'm stuck in it. Recalls have killed all resale so I've accepted being 2 for 2 in writeoffs :cry:

Then accelerating the payoff, hopefully by the end of 2020... and buying the 10th gen Civic EX-L I should have bought 4 years ago :facepalm:
What brand/style of Twamps you thinking of getting?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 21, 2019, 05:19:42 PM
Well, assuming you're trying to get power to the starter, no, you'd want to ground to the engine.

Yeah, good point.  That's honestly probably more the reason why they recommend grounding to the chassis than the sparking near hydrogen thing.  I know that the guidance to connect the positive first is to prevent sparks.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me some years ago.  He and my grandfather were at some kind of event (I think it was a NASCAR race) and they see these people having some difficulty starting their car.  Then they see them carrying a battery over to the car that won't start.  My dad asks them what they were doing and they explained that they didn't have any jumper cables, so they were going to jump start the car by just touching the terminals of the batteries together.  My dad then offered them his jumper cables so they wouldn't hurt themselves.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

I've started a car with a battery from another car and just swapped in the dead battery after it was running. Worked fine.

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 20, 2019, 08:43:40 PM
Man you just can't beat the excitement of a pro-touring style muscle car. So much violence and yet it will stick the road (unlike previous muscle car builds that only went straight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wiPj3jT1g

Now that's a car!  My uncle had a car that looked a lot like that - a Chevy Malibu.  I think it was the same body design but without the supercharged power.  His was a 69 or 70.  Before that, he had a 65 Mustang.

Thanks for posting the video, man.  I really enjoyed watching it.  A car like that is what I grew up with as my idea of the ideal car (even though my family never owned anything close to that).  I remember when cars like that were all over the road.  In a lot of ways, cars from the late 1960s and early 1970s are still my ideal, though I am fully aware of how much better today's cars are in a lot of ways.

The guys in the video seems pretty cool, too.  Was the guy on the left Matt Farah?  I've seen him with Rob Ferretti on some other videos.  Who was the guy driving the car?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

^There really should be a resto-mod in your future.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Guy on the left was the owner of the car. Just a normal guy. The guy on the right was someone else associated with Matt Farah. Not really sure what his name is or who he is. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 23, 2019, 09:16:30 AM
Guy on the left was the owner of the car. Just a normal guy. The guy on the right was someone else associated with Matt Farah. Not really sure what his name is or who he is. :lol:

I realized after that the guy on the left was not Matt Farah.  I've seen other videos of his but not for a while.  I went to the website of that group, and it seems the guy on the right is some guy named Zack.  I forget his last name.  It was a pretty cool video and it looked like a fun ride.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

I want a Wrangler so bad.  Some day.  I'd almost consider selling Taco and buying a Wrangler, but having a truck bed is just too convenient for a lot of things I use it for, like transporting dirtbike, mountain bike, dirty stuff, firewood, camping stuff, shovels, snowblower, kayak, ladders, lawnmower, 2x4s/etc., and everything else that makes a truck bed so usable.  No external accessories required.