Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

MrH

I think they're smart to target SUVs and trucks though.  Lots more money in that segment than others.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2019, 01:28:50 PM
Ford has dropped the ball on tech in general - leaning on turbos, ignoring EVs and autonomous driving - but Ford knows that trucks buyers are the most loyal.

IF this makes it to production, it'll go like Tesla - some initial sales success but for the market at large, it won't mean much (it'll be too expensive and too untenable of a business venture).

The truck market is already ridiculously overpriced.  There will be little price disadvantage to electric.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on February 15, 2019, 03:34:23 PM
The truck market is already ridiculously overpriced.  There will be little price disadvantage to electric.

This, plus the sheer volume of fleet sales. It's appealing to large companies, visually and financially, to install charging facilities and run an electric truck fleet.

GoCougs

By definition, the truck market is not overpriced - lots of competitors - lots of alternatives (since most truck buyers don't use their trucks as trucks) - lots of volume. It's a very efficient segment (i.e., pricing is spot on).

But 180 kW-hr battery? 4 motors? Nah, that's a $100k vehicle. There are cheaper versions, but anything less than a base MSRP of $75k seems virtually impossible and that's were only the very highest-end current 1/2 tons top out.

r0tor

Trucks prices are being protected by the chicken tax.  A damn F150 can now hit $72k and an average 4x4 truck is in the $50s... all with a large profit margin

Fat prices and terrible fuel mileage combine for a prime electric takeover
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Huh? Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra have been on the market for 15+ years at equivalent prices. Plus don't forget the small/medium size truck market.

Lots of choices, lots of alternatives, yet, here we are. "Overpriced" is an impossibility.

A $75k-$100k electric truck is a non threat to that market.

AutobahnSHO

People will buy them though.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2019, 09:07:14 PM
Huh? Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra have been on the market for 15+ years at equivalent prices. Plus don't forget the small/medium size truck market.

Lots of choices, lots of alternatives, yet, here we are. "Overpriced" is an impossibility.

A $75k-$100k electric truck is a non threat to that market.

They are forced to be built in the US to avoid the chicken tax...  Or have the chicken tax applied which increases the price.  There are a hoard manufacturers that would enter the market if the tax didn't exist.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2019, 09:17:16 AM
They are forced to be built in the US to avoid the chicken tax...  Or have the chicken tax applied which increases the price.  There are a hoard manufacturers that would enter the market if the tax didn't exist.

So who else builds full-size pickup trucks in the world? (No one.)

Even if they did, it'd go just about how it went with the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra - decent product but no notable sales volume.

If it's not a Chevy, Ford or Dodge/Ram, it's not gonna sell worth a damn, esp. if it's vastly more expensive.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 16, 2019, 10:52:29 AM
Toyota Hilux?

Is this a challenge to me?

The current Hilux is smaller than the Tacoma (i.e., nowhere near full size), plus no V8.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 16, 2019, 10:52:29 AM
Toyota Hilux?
Compact trucks, foreign or domestic, died in the US for a reason. I have no idea what that reason is, but it was pervasive enough to kill off the whole segment.

As for trucks being overpriced, lol. I do think the impending credit crunch will be a reckoning of biblical proportions for the industry. Profits will plummet either by sales volume, or more likely incentives at levels we've never seen. But in the medium term they'll be fine
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 16, 2019, 11:35:02 AM
Compact trucks, foreign or domestic, died in the US for a reason. I have no idea what that reason is, but it was pervasive enough to kill off the whole segment.

As for trucks being overpriced, lol. I do think the impending credit crunch will be a reckoning of biblical proportions for the industry. Profits will plummet either by sales volume, or more likely incentives at levels we've never seen. But in the medium term they'll be fine
This is a mystery to me too.
People have insane love for their old S-10s, Rangers and B2000s. Kids love them - they're ridiculously customizable. And they're a great proposition for people who just want a bit of practicality without having to have a chrome-laden Tonka Toy giant occupying all of their garage space.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2019, 10:38:40 AM
So who else builds full-size pickup trucks in the world? (No one.)

Even if they did, it'd go just about how it went with the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra - decent product but no notable sales volume.

If it's not a Chevy, Ford or Dodge/Ram, it's not gonna sell worth a damn, esp. if it's vastly more expensive.

Why not talk to a long list of compact trucks we don't get offered... Offerings from Mercedes, VW, Fiat, Renault, Mitsubishi, Toyota, ect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pickup_trucks

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 23, 2019, 06:17:42 AM
People have insane love for their old S-10s, Rangers and B2000s. Kids love them - they're ridiculously customizable. And they're a great proposition for people who just want a bit of practicality without having to have a chrome-laden Tonka Toy giant occupying all of their garage space.

No mystery... When there are obstacles to competition, there is no real need for the big 3 to produce trucks that have smaller profit margins

giant_mtb

I could count on one hand the number of full size pickups I saw on the streets of Quito while I was there.  I'd need hundreds of hands to count all the Hiluxes, D Max's, et. al.

Laconian

I thought the Chicken Tax was a pretty good explanation about why there's no competition in the small truck sector. We can't import small trucks without ridiculous tariffs,
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 23, 2019, 08:05:19 AM
Why not talk to a long list of compact trucks we don't get offered... Offerings from Mercedes, VW, Fiat, Renault, Mitsubishi, Toyota, ect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pickup_trucks

Why? Americans don't want small trucks, and have only a mediocre appetite for mid-size trucks. That's the market speaking, not taxes.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 23, 2019, 06:17:42 AM

People love 'em, sure, for say $2000 - $5000, but paying say $25k - $30k for them new? Tough sell. The market would rather spend ~$5k more to get a lot more truck, or $10k to get like 3x more truck.

2o6

Also, a lot of those "compact" trucks aren't even small!

A real "compact" truck would be something like the coupe-utilities that they sell in Mexico et al. Basically a subcompact car with a bed.

Eye of the Tiger

Americas need trucks to pull their houses and live like nomadic tribes of outlaws in campers. A private residence is not a smart investment because of mortgage interest, property taxes, oppressive property use laws, and trashy neighbors with old and disgusting pickup trucks in their front yards. How far can a Riverinian electric truck pull a 5000# camper with fat dogs riding in the back? 23 miles.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2019, 11:24:01 AM
Why? Americans don't want small trucks, and have only a mediocre appetite for mid-size trucks. That's the market speaking, not taxes.

They want them, just not at the price the manufacturers can make them for in the US. Government interference messes up the import market, so.....
Will

Laconian

A cheap little truck that cost the same as a Civic would sell really well among small businesses, landscapers, etc. It wouldn't even have to be AWD/4WD.

They claimed that the little Ford Transit Connect van wouldn't sell in the USA, it's for tiny European streets, etc. but it obliterated the truck-based van competition.

Average Muricans who use quad cab trucks as ersatz luxury sedans obviously wouldn't bite.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2019, 11:38:13 AM
Also, a lot of those "compact" trucks aren't even small!

A real "compact" truck would be something like the coupe-utilities that they sell in Mexico et al. Basically a subcompact car with a bed.

For real. New mid-sizers look and feel as big as a full sizer from a couple generations ago.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2019, 01:58:08 PM
A cheap little truck that cost the same as a Civic would sell really well among small businesses, landscapers, etc. It wouldn't even have to be AWD/4WD.

They claimed that the little Ford Transit Connect van wouldn't sell in the USA, it's for tiny European streets, etc. but it obliterated the truck-based van competition.

Average Muricans who use quad cab trucks as ersatz luxury sedans obviously wouldn't bite.

Like this

Laconian

That's all most people need, really. :rockon:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 23, 2019, 06:11:18 PM
What is it?

A Volkswagen Saveiro, based on the super-cheap VW Gol (not Golf: Gol); made in Brazil. Remember the VW Fox, from the late '80s to early '90s? This is a pickup version of the Fox's successor 20 years down the line.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on February 23, 2019, 07:05:12 PM
A Volkswagen Saveiro, based on the super-cheap VW Gol (not Golf: Gol); made in Brazil. Remember the VW Fox, from the late '80s to early '90s? This is a pickup version of the Fox's successor 20 years down the line.
I see.  I looks nice and simple.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."