No Garage

Started by Eye of the Tiger, December 07, 2018, 11:51:28 AM

RomanChariot

The first trailer you showed is about the same size as mine and you would not want to tow that very far with a 1/2 ton truck, especially with a 4.3. The second trailer looks like a good size but you probably want something with a fixed queen bed if you are going to be living in it full time.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2019, 09:18:22 AM
The first trailer you showed is about the same size as mine and you would not want to tow that very far with a 1/2 ton truck, especially with a 4.3. The second trailer looks like a good size but you probably want something with a fixed queen bed if you are going to be living in it full time.

I will not be touring the country in an 88 GMC 1/2 ton with the 4.3, with or without a trailer. I would buy the trailer,  tow it to the campground, and park it for a year. I might move to a better spot when a space opens up. And then I will tow it to LAND, once LAND is prepared.
Queen bed is irrelevant. I always stay on my side.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

I think camper life may be the life for me. When I play FPS video games, people always call me a camper. Camping is cheap, efficient, low carbon footprint, and slightly illegal as it pertains to state residency situations.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2019, 10:04:18 AM
I think camper life may be the life for me. When I play FPS video games, people always call me a camper. Camping is cheap, efficient, low carbon footprint, and slightly illegal as it pertains to state residency situations.

You can always become a South Dakota resident. It's very easy to do from what I hear.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2019, 10:06:54 AM
You can always become a South Dakota resident. It's very easy to do from what I hear.

I heard that, but I'm already a resident here. I'll just rent a mailbox with a street address ($9.99/month with scanning and shredding service. I would pay that just so I don't have to sort junk mail!

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2019, 09:49:22 AM
I will not be touring the country in an 88 GMC 1/2 ton with the 4.3, with or without a trailer. I would buy the trailer,  tow it to the campground, and park it for a year. I might move to a better spot when a space opens up. And then I will tow it to LAND, once LAND is prepared.
Queen bed is irrelevant. I always stay on my side.

Camper life in South Carolina should be pretty good since you don't have to worry about hard winters. As long as you as you have full hookups (including sewer) at your campsite you should be good to go.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2019, 11:35:34 AM
Camper life in South Carolina should be pretty good since you don't have to worry about hard winters. As long as you as you have full hookups (including sewer) at your campsite you should be good to go.

Yeah, there are only a few days per year where I might worry about freezing pipes.

Eye of the Tiger

One thing that I don't see in any camper is a computer desk. I guess I'll have to build it, myself.

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 20, 2019, 07:49:27 PM
I really like the looks of this 28' camper. The slide out really opens up the floor, which is important for doges.

https://www.carolinarv.com/product/used-2009-forest-river-rv-salem-le-28ddss-998805-29

Sell GMC and buy extended cab Dooley GMC then you can be just like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on February 21, 2019, 05:05:57 PM
Sell GMC and buy extended cab Dooley GMC then you can be just like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.

It would have to be cheap. <$3000

Eye of the Tiger

What about a Dogde? The rodeo dus not work, but I can fix that. Only 149 miles.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/concord-dogde/6806254644.html

Soup DeVille

Lol. Exactly as advertised.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 21, 2019, 05:32:22 PM
Lol. Exactly as advertised.

Not exactly. You can't forget the extra .899 miles.

CaminoRacer

Awh shucks the rodeo don't work
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

A big truck tows better, but my GMC is fully serviced and delitized. You guise have no idea just how much work I've done to it. I would drive it anywhere with confidence. It has a reverse beeper. It must be my tow rig.

Submariner

RomanChariot

This is what you need.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/d/winnebago-minnie-2001/6824625326.html

No towing concerns and you get to keep your 3 car minimum rule.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 22, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
This is what you need.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/d/winnebago-minnie-2001/6824625326.html

No towing concerns and you get to keep your 3 car minimum rule.

I don't want a damn motor home. I want to keep it modular, so I can tow it with any truck that I happen to have. Plus the overall cost lf a motorhome is levels above a trailer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on February 22, 2019, 08:50:34 AM
Boom.  Roasted.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/willimantic-1998-gmc-sierra-3500-sl/6824398931.html

It even has had a nice polyethylene reupholstery job done.

Comes with a bottle of brake fluid. Not a good sign.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2019, 10:30:08 AM
I don't want a damn motor home. I want to keep it modular, so I can tow it with any truck that I happen to have. Plus the overall cost lf a motorhome is levels above a trailer.

Which is exactly why I have a trailer and not a motor home. Maybe you should get a massive toy hauler and you could keep the Fiesta inside of it.  :lol:

BimmerM3

I mean, even if your current truck wasn't capable of towing whatever you end up with, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just rent a truck when you need to move it once a year than to get a new vehicle just for this purpose?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 22, 2019, 10:35:19 AM
Which is exactly why I have a trailer and not a motor home. Maybe you should get a massive toy hauler and you could keep the Fiesta inside of it.  :lol:

Yessssss, a toy hauler!

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 22, 2019, 10:36:05 AM
I mean, even if your current truck wasn't capable of towing whatever you end up with, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just rent a truck when you need to move it once a year than to get a new vehicle just for this purpose?

Yeah, but I still need to get around, and I'm not towing a tow dolly behind a trailer .

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2019, 10:31:22 AM
Comes with a bottle of brake fluid. Not a good sign.

The seller doesn't want you to go thirsty.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on February 22, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
The seller doesn't want you to go thirsty.

I don't drink and drive.

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 22, 2019, 04:12:09 PM
I don't want that rusty northeast shit, although I do like that International. I wonder what kind of fuel mileage it gets empty. 12 MPG? GMC gets 13-14, so whatever. I might could rebuild the throttle body.

Being a pre-emission diesel, you could theoretically run it on fuel oil.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 22, 2019, 04:29:56 PM
Being a pre-emission diesel, you could theoretically run it on fuel oil.

Oddly enough, "off road only" kerosene is insanely expensive around here. It's much cheaper to buy taxed diesel fuel.

Eye of the Tiger

In order to prepare GMC for potential Camper towing, I need to do some schit...

-Replace mini-spool with the spider gears so I don't tear up the pooor campground when parking.
-Replace rear axle seals while I'm at it.
-Add brake controller to trailer wiring. Right now it only has a 4-pin connector.
-Fix the dimmer switch so I can use high beams and low beams + aim headlights.
-Fix the other dimmer switch, or just hardwire it so the instruments light up at night.
-Fix range sensor so I have backup lights and backup beeper! (only working intermittently now)
-Service transmission. New filter and fluid. No problem.
-New AC compressor! It gets hot around here.
-Secret hidden kill switch so nobody steals my rig. Right now I just pull random fuses out of the fuse box. That works, too.
-Flush brake fluid in the front calipers. The rear is already done.
-Maaaybe new shocks, depending how it handles a trailer. These 1988 shocks still seem to work.
-Tachometer? Maybe. Fix the fuel gauge. It works, but gets stuck halfway. Maybe just find an entire gauge cluster.
-Aux. transmission cooler? Yes, with a temp gauge.
-New seat cover and flooring.

Holy crap, this is like $1000 worth of stuff. I should just buy a new truck. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Thinking of more stuff ...

-High volume engine oil pump
-Toolbox in back with all the tools to fix anything. I already have the box sitting in my living room ... kek
-Weight distribution hitch with sway control
-Upgraded alternator, battery, and new battery cables, and an inverter to temporarily run 30-amp camper electrics.
-Aux. gas tanks, somewhere. The towing range with the current 25 gal tank at 8-9 MPG will be something like 220 miles.
-More marker lights all over, for safety
-Train horn, for safety
-$Texas