4Runner

Started by BENZ BOY15, May 31, 2020, 10:18:21 PM

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 01, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Pretty much. They're good vehicles. Benzy, take one for a test drive and see how you like it. They'll get through any snow that your GX could.

I'm going to try my neighbors out. I don't really care about the needing an update part, I like the current one a lot as it is.

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2020, 10:16:10 AM
And fuel economy. Especially in the mountains. But, that's going to be any SUV, pretty much.

Yeah fuel economy sucks, I don't drive a ton of miles so don't really care (the % of my monthly budget that goes to gasoline is de minimus).  But if you have a longish commute it's an issue. 

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 01, 2020, 08:59:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you might be driving clients around sometimes? So FJ would be pretty sketchy.

For real ice on hills nothing beats a real 4wd over AWD. But good tires (even snow tires!) can make AWD pretty good.

Are Foresters shorter wheelbase than Outback? Seem to have as much real seating area. I always loved the 4Runner, neighbor has one she drives into DC for work (LOL). 4door Jeep or Cherokee might be great options for your area. 

Yeah I drive clients around (not right now due to COVID) but I will in the future. I'm not a fan of the way the FJ looks.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 01, 2020, 10:06:26 AM
No

There's this one that drives around town that's military green in color. It's so awful. 

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2020, 10:06:02 AM
Ground clearance. Usable ground clearance. I dunno where Subuaru gets their ground clearance numbers, but I'm pretty sure it's right outta their ass.

Yep, you're right.  Subaru has been lying about it this whole time :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: MrH on June 01, 2020, 12:59:51 PM
Yep, you're right.  Subaru has been lying about it this whole time :wtf:

It's definitely higher than a regular car. Doesn't seem that way when you're driving it, but does when you compare it to something else.

Even still, GX>Outback by far in winter conditions.

CaminoRacer

Aren't most solid axle ground clearance numbers measuring to the bottom of the pumpkin? The rest of the vehicle might have a lot more ground clearance and the bottom of the pumpkin is less of an issue. Whereas Subaru doesn't have solid axles so the ground clearance number is actually measuring to the bottom of the car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on June 01, 2020, 12:40:51 PM
Yeah I drive clients around (not right now due to COVID) but I will in the future. I'm not a fan of the way the FJ looks.

I love them but the first time I peeked in one- I realized the backseat is okay for kids but that and the half-door would make it a hassle for clients. It's just not a real 4-person vehicle.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 01, 2020, 02:05:52 PM
Aren't most solid axle ground clearance numbers measuring to the bottom of the pumpkin? The rest of the vehicle might have a lot more ground clearance and the bottom of the pumpkin is less of an issue. Whereas Subaru doesn't have solid axles so the ground clearance number is actually measuring to the bottom of the car.

I believe that is the case, yes.  I did a little Googling and the Outback's ground clearance is measured at a spot on the exhaust, which is the lowest point.

FoMoJo

If you want the BEST vehicle for those slippery mountain roads, wait for the new Bronco...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3sH5YVhn4

Some pretty clever looking electronics at work.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."