CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

SJ_GTI

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 09, 2020, 04:29:38 PM
CX-5 AWD Grand Touring Reserve that comes with the turbo 2.5. And I like the cooled seats.

Question of the day...Is it a seagull?   ;)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Initial thoughts:
It's very peppy with instantaneous throttle response - so different from waiting for the Honda 1.5T to come on boost, and then the CVT to wind up.
It feels very planted - solid handling.
Interior quality is super.
It's very red. Matches my iPhone.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 09, 2020, 04:29:38 PM
CX-5 AWD Grand Touring Reserve that comes with the turbo 2.5. And I like the cooled seats.

You has???
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

veeman

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on December 09, 2020, 05:36:53 PM
Question of the day...Is it a seagull?   ;)

It's a big "M", I think

AutobahnSHO

That color is so sweet! Love it!
Will

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2020, 08:38:06 PM
Superb choice!
Thanks, have not driven it much yet, but I'd characterize it as "willing to play," a totally different feel from the CR-V, digs into curves & corners, tons of torque. It does not hesitate to drop a ratio when needed, and in Sport mode even more so. Interior quality is great & the infotainment via the jog wheel & buttons is so much better than the goofy touchscreen.

Speed_Racer

Excellent choice, those are really great vehicles especially when all decked out!

FoMoJo

I'm wondering if the 2.5 turbo engine is based on the 2.5 NA engine that's been around for awhile.  The 2009 Escape that my wife had, and now our daughter uses, has the Mazda 2.5 NA engine and it has run faultlessly for over 250,000 kilometers (155k miles).  We've always been diligent about maintenance items and its always been a bit noisy (valve lash) but really, really dependable.  Decent mileage as well.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 11, 2020, 12:18:29 PM
I'm wondering if the 2.5 turbo engine is based on the 2.5 NA engine that's been around for awhile.  The 2009 Escape that my wife had, and now our daughter uses, has the Mazda 2.5 NA engine and it has run faultlessly for over 250,000 kilometers (155k miles).  We've always been diligent about maintenance items and its always been a bit noisy (valve lash) but really, really dependable.  Decent mileage as well.

Nope.  That was the MZR family.  They're all Skyactiv based now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Posted on a CR-V forum site,

----
We bought a 2018 AWD Touring just under three years ago. It was a nice vehicle - lots of space and a brilliantly well thought-out interior. But we had several problems that made it non-viable as a long term hold:

• Laggy infotainment system
  • Oil dilution (garage smelled of gasoline)
  • Sluggish throttle response from the CVT/turbo combo
  • Weak air conditioning
  • Engine unable to warm itself while delivering cabin heart
  • Random cascading error messages that the dealer could never explain.
I know Honda extended the drivetrain warranty, and I'm sure the new ones have most of this sorted. But the vehicle, that we'd planned as a 10-year keeper, did not work out for us. A big contrast to the family's 2003 Pilot, that my son still runs, and has clocked over 200,000 miles.

We decided to trade the CR-V in at 32,000 miles, for a new 2021 Mazda CX-5.
---

FoMoJo

Honda likely lost a lot of credibility over this 1.5T? engine.  Trying too hard and took it to the thin edge.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

If it didn't have problems, it would have been a pretty sweet motor.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on December 14, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
Seems the problem is lingering still...Did Honda Fix Their Turbo Engine Problems 2019? – Here's What You Need To Know

They should've just scrapped that engine design and started over.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on December 14, 2020, 10:57:48 AM

:lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Earth Dreams. They dreamt not of reliable transportation, but of the Earth mother.   Turned out to be a Mutha of a vehicle.  :muffin:

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on December 14, 2020, 11:36:09 AM
Earth Dreams. They dreamt not of reliable transportation, but of the Earth mother.   Turned out to be a Mutha of a vehicle.  :muffin:
They dreamed of beating the competition with a state-of-the-art engine that turned out to be highly flawed and they're too embarrassed to admit it.  It happens to the best of manufacturers sooner or later.  Sort of like Honda's more recent F1 attempts. 

Morris Minor

I LOVE the CX-5. It's the car I should have bought three years ago. Will put my impressions up in a new thread when I get a chance. It's so responsive... kind of difficult to articulate... but it's like it wants to play.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 14, 2020, 12:25:44 PM
I LOVE the CX-5. It's the car I should have bought three years ago. Will put my impressions up in a new thread when I get a chance. It's so responsive... kind of difficult to articulate... but it's like it wants to play.

A car you love deserves a thread!

Rich

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 14, 2020, 12:25:44 PM

It's like it's plugged into the brain, Avatar style.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT