Big(ish) 2-row SUVs

Started by Morris Minor, September 17, 2020, 10:52:30 AM

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2020, 02:52:17 PM
CTVs generate tons of heat.  An AT gearbox does not (except for the torque converter when not locked and slipping)

Even with the TC locked, you're still pumping fluid, which generates some heat.

Was watch Matt Farah's review of the 2021 Supra 4-banger and he mentioned he overheated the AT on one of the canyon roads and was stuck in limp mode for half an hour.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2020, 01:25:12 PM
There are fewer friction parts in a CVT than an AT, no?

Yes, but they require a lot of tension toy maintain enough friction to work. Super high failure rate in most automotive applications, and they aren't used at all in heavier vehicles for a reason.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Hyundai Santa Fe's  are very roomy.  Grand Cherokee's look awesome.  I would seriously also consider a new or certified Lexus RX, especially knowing what a stickler you are for quality.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on September 18, 2020, 10:04:28 PM
Hyundai Santa Fe's  are very roomy.  Grand Cherokee's look awesome.  I would seriously also consider a new or certified Lexus RX, especially knowing what a stickler you are for quality.
Grand Cherokee is at the end of its model cycle - so bugs are ironed out and prices should be reasonable as dealers offload them for the '21s. RX presses all the buttons except in the looks department - face like a badger's ball bag.

MrH

Test drive an Outback. I much prefer the seating position vs the competitors. More car like with your legs in front of you than sitting on a barstool feeling like most crossovers and minivans.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 19, 2020, 05:31:37 AM
Grand Cherokee is at the end of its model cycle - so bugs are ironed out...

It's a Fiat-Chrysler product.  The bugs are never ironed out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2020, 07:33:08 PM
It's a Fiat-Chrysler product.  The bugs are never ironed out.

It's product of Daimler - it's bugs were worked out 10 years ago
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2020, 05:51:20 AM
It's product of Daimler - it's bugs were worked out 10 years ago
It's an outlier in Consumer Reports; most Fiat-Chrysler stuff has abysmal reliability ratings. The GC is okay. 300 does alright too.

Eye of the Tiger

Do they still make the Doge Journey? What a piece. I bet you can get one super cheap.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2020, 06:23:41 PM

My CR-V is coming up to three years. It's uncomfortable enough and has enough design issues, principal of which is the 1.5T oil dilution thing, to prompt a replacement. So I'm sniffing around for something with a bit more width & refinement.

The Edge and the Grand Cherokee are ideal for the size segment & it occurred to me that there aren't to many others in that slot.

What?????

I agree with others Outback is certainly worth a close look. I'd prob look at the RAV4 too, it's been redesigned since you bought the CRV and looks to be improved.

I agree there should be more 2 row midsized SUVs, I really have little need for a 3rd row. I'd recommend the 4runner if it wasn't ancient and you didn't say you're looking for more refinement.

2o6

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

r0tor

The interesting thing on the Atlas Cross sport is it has the same wheelbase as the larger Atlas... So essentially you get the rear legroom of a larger class of vehicle
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

There's a few options for you to choose from:

Honda Passport

VW Atlas Crosssport

Chevy Blazer

Ford Edge

Nissan Murano

Audi Q5

BMW X3 (both are smaller than those cars, but are more refined)

Subaru Outback, I think it really pushing the definition of an SUV. It shares a lot of body stampings and ergonmics with the Legacy sedan, which I guess isn't a bad thing, but in my mind, it's firmly a station wagon.

Hyundai Santa Fe

Kia Sorento - the Sorento will be all new for 2021. I think the 3rd row is optional.

Lincoln Avaitor (sort of)

Lincoln Corsair (kind of small, but once again - it's nice)

Toyota Venza (basically a nicer, slightly longer RAV4, but hybrid only)

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on October 01, 2020, 12:37:07 PM
The interesting thing on the Atlas Cross sport is it has the same wheelbase as the larger Atlas... So essentially you get the rear legroom of a larger class of vehicle
I wonder what proportion of three-row SUV buyers actually use the third row and, if so, how often. I agree about the Outback - it's a station wagon. Nothing wrong with that - a nice little niche.

r0tor

3rd row usage is extremely rare IMO...

For most 3 row SUVs you can only for children who are old enough to not be in a car seat but not yet fully grown either - out some extremely limber adults you really don't like... Every then if you found passengers it will be for a short drive and under the occasion when you don't need practically any use of the cargo area

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 04, 2020, 07:07:53 PM
I wonder what proportion of three-row SUV buyers actually use the third row and, if so, how often. I agree about the Outback - it's a station wagon. Nothing wrong with that - a nice little niche.
Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2020, 07:44:02 PM
3rd row usage is extremely rare IMO...

For most 3 row SUVs you can only for children who are old enough to not be in a car seat but not yet fully grown either - out some extremely limber adults you really don't like... Every then if you found passengers it will be for a short drive and under the occasion when you don't need practically any use of the cargo area

I used the third row in my prior Buick Enclave and current Infiniti QX56 quite a bit.  I've myself sat in the Buick Enclave 3rd row for a 10 hour trip (although I was post pulling an all nighter shift in the hospital and slept the whole time).

3rd row for adults in most 3 row SUVs is not comfortable but it's doable unless you're very tall and/or fat.  Some are quite a bit better than others though.  Prior generation Tahoe/Yukon weren't comfortable at all because your knees would be up by your chin.  Current new generation has fixed that.  Expedition/Navigator has always had pretty decent third row seats. Highlander is very small.  Acura MDX is small. Audi Q7 is small. Honda Pilot is OK. GM Traverse, Acadia, Enclave are decent.  None are as roomy as a minivan obviously.

They're super handy if you have more than 2 kids or elderly parents and kids.  You don't have to take two cars to your destination.  Plus carpooling to kid's sports practices is much easier. 

We use our third row probably 2% of the time which while a really low percentage it's those times you need it, you really miss it if you don't have it.  For people without kids it's not necessary or desired probably. 

Back in the 1970s and 80s, you would just stick extra kids in the back of the station wagon.  Make a nice bed for them surrounded by luggage.  Newton's laws of physics in an accident be damned. I remember in 8th grade going on a school competition.  The vice principal drove us in his woody wagon.  The math teacher sat in the passenger seat.  Two kids in the back seat.  Me and another kid in the trunk. 4 hour drive back and forth.   

AutobahnSHO

Yeah my parents have used the third row in pilot whenever grand kids (my brother,) are around. So every month or two.... But day to day it's just the two of them.
Will

Morris Minor

My kids are thousands of miles away - it's just the two of us & the elderly pooch. The rear knee room in a mid-size SUV is more appealing than a third row.
What sparked this was a family that just moved in here who have a new Edge - seemed to me to be in the Goldilocks zone - bit of elbow room, not too big & not too small.

r0tor

Discovery Sport had really good rear leg room thanks to being able to move the rear bench seat

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 05, 2020, 05:48:22 AM
My kids are thousands of miles away - it's just the two of us & the elderly pooch. The rear knee room in a mid-size SUV is more appealing than a third row.
What sparked this was a family that just moved in here who have a new Edge - seemed to me to be in the Goldilocks zone - bit of elbow room, not too big & not too small.

I hear ya- your quest is about what mine will be some day.

I want to keep Minivan for space, Miata for fun/ commuting. For middle car I'd go with same as you're looking at, or something like a Bolt. It's amazing how much easier Impreza is to get in an out of than Miata. And how much easier it is to just slide into Odyssey compared to Impreza....
Will

AutobahnSHO

hmmmm the towing capacity on this and I'm a sucker for sunroofs...... 

https://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-augusta-land-rover-discovery-ii-se/7208267141.html

(Totally not shopping for SUV or Truck right now though)

Would this be reliable with the mileage/ age? (this particular one looks like it's had paint/ body damage).
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 05, 2020, 08:11:38 PM
hmmmm the towing capacity on this and I'm a sucker for sunroofs...... 

https://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-augusta-land-rover-discovery-ii-se/7208267141.html

(Totally not shopping for SUV or Truck right now though)

Would this be reliable with the mileage/ age? (this particular one looks like it's had paint/ body damage).

That will be a pit ... a money pit  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)