CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

This is not the Honda way :(

I still believe :(

Odd that it's only specific to the CR-V. Haven't heard anything from the Accord/Civic camps.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Agreed Sporty, this is not the Honda way.
My old 2003 Mk1 Pilot is still in service: my son & daughter-in-law's daily driver. It's a lovely vehicle.

shp4man

Like I said before, with a few exceptions, all the manufacturers are about equal in pluses and minuses.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 31, 2019, 05:17:15 AM
This is not the Honda way :(

I still believe :(

Odd that it's only specific to the CR-V. Haven't heard anything from the Accord/Civic camps.
Civics in China have been recalled for the same problem...https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2018/02/13/honda-to-recall-350000-cars-in-china-over-engine-issue/

The recall involves the CR-V sport utility vehicle and the Civic car equipped with a 1.5-litre turbo engine, Honda's joint venture with Dongfeng Motor Group Co Ltd said in a statement on Monday.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I getting an oil sample taken next week. Will send it off for analysis. Then I'll forward it to one of the attorneys involved in bringing the suit.
Honda will settle & do what it needs to do. Reputation is everything in this game

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 31, 2019, 10:33:12 AM
I getting an oil sample taken next week. Will send it off for analysis. Then I'll forward it to one of the attorneys involved in bringing the suit.
Honda will settle & do what it needs to do. Reputation is everything in this game

Don't settle for the first offer! I went through the lemon law case with my Versa, and went back and forth with my attorney for a month before getting an acceptable settlement offer. They want the problem swept under the rug and kept out of court, and they will pay for it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Oil sample was taken today. Oil had 4,000 miles on it. Mailing it off tomorrow

Morris Minor

2% gasoline in oil that's got 4K miles on it.

RomanChariot

Assuming that your vehicle holds 4 quarts of oil and that fuel % is by volume, you have about 1/3 cup of fuel in your oil. It would be interesting to know if that number increases with mileage between oil changes or if it is more dependent upon whether the engine is run hot enough to burn off the fuel.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 14, 2019, 05:20:41 AM
2% gasoline in oil that's got 4K miles on it.

Do you make a lot of short trips or generally trips long enough to run at operating temperature for more than a few minutes?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Xer0

Is there an amount of gas that can get in the oil that's considered normal and safe?

shp4man

Quote from: Xer0 on February 14, 2019, 10:00:29 AM
Is there an amount of gas that can get in the oil that's considered normal and safe?

I don't think there are any specs on that. Modern oil is pretty thin already, though.
But hell,  two strokes run gas mixed with oil for lubrication. So there's that.

FoMoJo

I would think that the garage smells of gas is an indication that it's a bit much.  I've had cars that smelled of gas, but they were wrecks.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 10:10:42 AM
I would think that the garage smells of gas is an indication that it's a bit much.  I've had cars that smelled of gas, but they were wrecks.

Carburetors that leaked down and open vented fuel tanks  used to mean it wasn't uncommon.

No modern car should.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Maybe?

The main effect will be to reduce viscosity, so going to a heavier weight oil might be a good idea; or it might not. Honda's variable valve timing and belt tensioner use hydraulic pressure to operate, and messing with the viscosity might not work out.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 14, 2019, 10:16:46 AM
Carburetors that leaked down and open vented fuel tanks  used to mean it wasn't uncommon.

No modern car should.
Even when you didn't have a garage.  However, for those of us who like the smell of raw gasoline, it was a bonus.

GoCougs

Interestingly, 2% (by volume?) fuel content is noted at the maximum of okay. I'd want a spec/report/standard that says that however. Does sound like a lot to me, as a layman.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 10:20:01 AM
Even when you didn't have a garage.  However, for those of us who like the smell of raw gasoline, it was a bonus.

2-cycle exhaust, sawdust, and unburnt diesel and ether from the trucks starting in the morning are smells that taks me right back to childhood.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 14, 2019, 11:15:28 AM
2-cycle exhaust, sawdust, and unburnt diesel and ether from the trucks starting in the morning are smells that taks me right back to childhood.

I'm with you on the first 2 and throw in a smoke from a wood fire.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 14, 2019, 10:53:04 AM
Interestingly, 2% (by volume?) fuel content is noted at the maximum of okay. I'd want a spec/report/standard that says that however. Does sound like a lot to me, as a layman.

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about where they got that value from.

The flashpoint value looks worse though, assuming the gray column is reputable. And both of the viscosities are near the low end of the acceptable range.

Morris Minor

2% fuel is the limit per Blackstone. This car is driven 30-miles  twice per day and gets fully-warmed up.  Reports from other owners, who do shorter journeys, are of far higher dilution levels.

Xer0

Yikes, this engine is not looking good for Honda right now.  It almost feels like they are taking the "if we just ignore it, maybe people will forget" line of thinking. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 14, 2019, 01:30:17 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit curious about where they got that value from.

The flashpoint value looks worse though, assuming the gray column is reputable. And both of the viscosities are near the low end of the acceptable range.

Flashpoint seems fine. Oil temp is never gonna get over 300.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 14, 2019, 02:40:50 PM

Fair enough. I was just basing that off of the spec listed on the sheet.

r0tor

Looks like you should drop to a 3k oil change interval...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 14, 2019, 02:40:50 PM
Yea we'd def have heard of CR-Vs exploding by now.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

FoMoJo

What does Honda consider 'extreme cold temperatures'?