New TLX unveiled, Turbo 3.0 Type S with AWD coming in Spring 2021.

Started by 565, May 29, 2020, 07:21:16 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32687740/2021-acura-tlx-sports-sedan-photos-info/

They are guessing 350hp,  I'm hoping for more.  Sounds like it will be the same motor in the MDX.  Probably the MDX will have the 2.0T and the 3.0T options as well to evenly compete with their German rivals.

Xer0

It looks very good and sounds like Acura is ready to go back to "offer as much power as the Germans at a lower cost".  Which is good.  I hope they give the TLX a trick, 450hp hybrid version and tie it into the NSX too.  Honda can craft a nice, hybrid performance niche with Acura.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Xer0 on May 29, 2020, 08:58:58 AM
It looks very good and sounds like Acura is ready to go back to "offer as much power as the Germans at a lower cost".  Which is good.  I hope they give the TLX a trick, 450hp hybrid version and tie it into the NSX too.  Honda can craft a nice, hybrid performance niche with Acura.

Yeah, but...450hp on FWD?  No thanks.

Looks awesome, though.

Xer0

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 29, 2020, 09:58:16 AM
Yeah, but...450hp on FWD?  No thanks.

Looks awesome, though.

It wouldn't be FWD.  Acura's performance hybrid set up has electric motors in the rear wheels (or front wheels in the case of the NSX) creating an AWD powertrain. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Xer0 on May 29, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
It wouldn't be FWD.  Acura's performance hybrid set up has electric motors in the rear wheels (or front wheels in the case of the NSX) creating an AWD powertrain. 

Ahhh that's right. That would be a fun machine.

GoCougs

I am moderate disappoint. Have been waiting for this reveal for MONTHS, and have postponed a purchase because of this.

All this hype about the RDX power train, which by all accounts underperforms despite the class leading stats on paper, and no mention of the turbo V6 stats, and 10-year-old infotainment tech (touch pad :smh:).

At least they put a shifter back in, and overall it does look quite good on the outside. Probably still overall a better car than the S4, C43, M340i, but not worth waiting another year for.

2o6

I think it looks good inside and out.

This, or Genesis G70?

MX793

If this was supposedly built as an all-new from the ground up, clean sheet sports sedan, why is it FWD/FWD-based AWD?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on May 30, 2020, 12:02:32 PM
If this was supposedly built as an all-new from the ground up, clean sheet sports sedan, why is it FWD/FWD-based AWD?

Cause marketing and timing.  I don't doubt that when those claims where made they are completely true and the platform was/is exclusive to the TLX.  But I also don't doubt that you will see some version of this platform being used in the next gen Accord and various other Honda/Acura products going forward. 

SJ_GTI

It could also be they think FWD has more sales potential (given price/packaging constraints). Audi has its own platforms that are FWD/AWD.

Rich

10 speed auto and electric power steering. 

Just buy a CRV and be done with it
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: Rich on June 01, 2020, 11:30:57 AM
10 speed auto and electric power steering. 

Just buy a CRV and be done with it

Next CRV will probably be on the same platform!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 01, 2020, 10:51:27 AM
It could also be they think FWD has more sales potential (given price/packaging constraints). Audi has its own platforms that are FWD/AWD.

FWD is loads cheaper to manufacture and repair than RWD. Of course engineering to include AWD mitigates that, but they often use the same platform for either...
Will

Raza

Remember manual transmissions? I got excited for this until I saw that it's a 10-speed, like my old mountain bike. I really don't know what I'm going to do when manuals die off completely. There are already so few available.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 03, 2020, 08:58:39 AM
FWD is loads cheaper to manufacture and repair than RWD. Of course engineering to include AWD mitigates that, but they often use the same platform for either...

Manufacture, yes.  Repair?  Not necessarily.  In fact, I'd say RWD is generally easier to work on, IME.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2020, 08:02:16 AM
Remember manual transmissions? I got excited for this until I saw that it's a 10-speed, like my old mountain bike. I really don't know what I'm going to do when manuals die off completely. There are already so few available.
Lots of manuals in the used/classic car inventory.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2020, 08:09:45 AM
Manufacture, yes.  Repair?  Not necessarily.  In fact, I'd say RWD is generally easier to work on, IME.

I've always heard that there's more room under the hood of RWD cars.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 04, 2020, 08:12:34 AM
Lots of manuals in the used/classic car inventory.

I suppose. But some of the tech in new cars is really cool, I do feel like I'm missing out sometimes. I just can't drive an automatic like some plebe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2020, 08:17:48 AM
I've always heard that there's more room under the hood of RWD cars.

Generally, yes.  The biggest access issue I've had with RWD is when you have relatively long engines and short hoods.  The rear cylinder(s) can end up under the cowl and getting at spark plugs can be nearly impossible.  Cargo vans typically have this issue and some pickups (older 5.4L Fords were notorious).
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2020, 08:18:42 AM
I suppose. But some of the tech in new cars is really cool, I do feel like I'm missing out sometimes. I just can't drive an automatic like some plebe.
Don't know if you've ever driven a "raw" sports car, that is one with no nanny features.  Maybe the Z3/Z4 but even they are pretty modern.  It's an entire different experience if you go back a few decades and experience a sports car/roadster than can give you a real feel of the road.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SJ_GTI

Its certainly getting tougher to find manual transmissions. Strangest to me is that it even in sportier cars they are going away. Corvette? Z4? Supra? I am curious to see if the next 370z keeps a manual.

That being said I think I will be sticking with manual for the foreseeable future. I am hoping to keep my Z3 forever, and when it comes time to replace my Golf I am fairly certain MT equivalents will still be around (WRX, another Golf R maybe).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2020, 08:24:59 AM
Generally, yes.  The biggest access issue I've had with RWD is when you have relatively long engines and short hoods.  The rear cylinder(s) can end up under the cowl and getting at spark plugs can be nearly impossible.  Cargo vans typically have this issue and some pickups (older 5.4L Fords were notorious).

But mid engined + RWD = race car.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2020, 08:02:16 AM

But a 10 speed manual would be awesome

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 04, 2020, 08:25:50 AM
Its certainly getting tougher to find manual transmissions. Strangest to me is that it even in sportier cars they are going away. Corvette? Z4? Supra? I am curious to see if the next 370z keeps a manual.

That being said I think I will be sticking with manual for the foreseeable future. I am hoping to keep my Z3 forever, and when it comes time to replace my Golf I am fairly certain MT equivalents will still be around (WRX, another Golf R maybe).

Supra didn't offer a manual with the turbo even back in the 90s (some years had the option).
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 04, 2020, 08:29:06 AM
But mid engined + RWD = race car.  :lol:

Mid-engine has the same advantages/disadvantages as FWD WRT manufacture and repair.  Easier to put together, harder to work on.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on June 04, 2020, 08:33:37 AM
Mid-engine has the same advantages/disadvantages as FWD WRT manufacture and repair.  Easier to put together, harder to work on.

Yeah, I hate working on cargo vans. I think we should raise our labor rate by 50% on anything cargo van.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 04, 2020, 08:25:49 AM
Don't know if you've ever driven a "raw" sports car, that is one with no nanny features.  Maybe the Z3/Z4 but even they are pretty modern.  It's an entire different experience if you go back a few decades and experience a sports car/roadster than can give you a real feel of the road.

Elise? No traction control, no power steering, manual transmission, no roof.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 04, 2020, 08:25:50 AM

I'm seriously considering a Golf R for my next car. And then I think I'll replace the Z4 with either a 964 Cabriolet or an F-Type Roadster (one of the manual versions).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2020, 08:47:19 AM
Elise? No traction control, no power steering, manual transmission, no roof.
Elan or Lotus Super Seven would be better.  Even an MGA/B, but I imagine an Elise would be less fettered than most.

Not saying you should buy one, just have the driving experience.