New rubber.

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 21, 2016, 08:17:38 PM

VTEC_Inside

Wore the Khumo PA31s almost smooth on the CSX. I liked the Khumo but I couldn't find it again for the bargain price I did last time so I decided to try Michellin again for a little more money.

I ended up picking the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (in a rather silly Y speed rating as that's all that was available).

I've only put about 500kms on them so far, but damn what a difference. Steering response is so much sharper its border line twitchy at hwy speeds. Grip is through the roof as well, haven't been able to get a peep out of them yet. Only drove in the rain once, and I was able to get them to slide a little, but still better than the Khumo.

My issue with Michellins in the past has been that their performance goes utterly to shit with 10-15k kms of visible tread life left, leaving that last half a year pretty miserable. I'm hoping that these go close to their rated 70,000kms without going completely to shit.

As of right now I will probably put another set on the RSX in the spring I like them so much.

That said the guys at the tire shop were scratching their heads about mounting up a set of "summer" tires. I'll see how well their claims of "light" winter capabilities hold up first snow fall. I still have the stock rims that I can throw a shit set of snows on just in case.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Eye of the Tiger

I have never bought Michelins because they are usually the most expensive tire in any size. That money usually buys you more quiet/comfort/life on top of the performance, but performance is all that really matters to me. I'm sure they will perform fine in some light snow :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 21, 2016, 08:41:39 PM
I have never bought Michelins because they are usually the most expensive tire in any size. That money usually buys you more quiet/comfort/life on top of the performance, but performance is all that really matters to me. I'm sure they will perform fine in some light snow :mask:

Yeah, price and bad personal experience has kept me away from the brand. The stock Michellins on the RSX were garbage, never did anything well and were completely worn out in 60,000kms, and in this case I mean literally smooth. Other Michellins we've had have had very poor performance in the rain. I'm pretty certain the only good model we ever had was the Harmony, but it was simply a good (if not expensive) pedestrian tire.

Price wise they were about $200 more for the 4 than the Khumos, but there is a $70 rebate promo on right now, and if the treadwear warranty holds up, I should get another year out of them over the Khumos, so in my mind it was pretty much a wash.

As of right now I'm very happy with them, so much so that I've been taking it a bit easy on them because I want the experience to last lol...

As for snow, I've made it most of my driving life on all-seasons. Winters were on the rims currently on the car when I bought them. I can't recall which make, W300 was the model I think. Yes they worked amazing in the winter, but not so much so that I would say I needed to have them. If you live out in the sticks or have to drive in snow a lot then sure. In my case, everywhere I could conceivably NEED to go is plowed or salted to shit before I'd get there.

In any case, I'd expect this modern all season to do a better job than most of the other tires I've had in the snow, at least in the first year when the tread is nice and deep.

CALL_911

I have PS A/S 3s on my car. They're great

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Still loving my DWS06s. Fronts are pretty much toast after only a year... gonna get them replaced before we get into the snow zone... but I like em

Michelin makes great tires but they are too pricey. Only ones I would get would be Pilot Super Sports or above
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 23, 2016, 11:56:17 AM
I have PS A/S 3s on my car. They're great

Almost got those, but read that the 3+ was supposed to have improved "winter" weather performance. It remains to be seen how realistic their claims are, but....

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 24, 2016, 12:04:15 PM
Still loving my DWS06s. Fronts are pretty much toast after only a year... gonna get them replaced before we get into the snow zone... but I like em

Interesting tire. I like the wear down indicators. How many miles did you put on them in that year?

Rainy around here again. There is a light at the top of a small hill here and on the old tires (even with tread), I really had to almost stall the car to get moving without wheel-spin, these things just seem latched to the road, nothing, and this at around 3-5c ambient temps.

Another thing is that they are actually balanced... The Khumos actually balanced up nicely, but the Yokohamas on my RSX were/are horrible in that regard, must have taken that car back like 5 times and eventually had one pair replaced because of it.

12,000 RPM

I put on about 15K miles. To be fair/transparent they were pretty hard miles. About ~1000 of those were with the front seriously out of alignment after I put my coilovers on. So that's what cooked them. I didn't rotate them either. This go round I will though. Even in their awful current condition they grip OK. Just gotta get them replaced before our 2-3 days of snow arrive, hopefully around mid January or so. Gonna get them done with my next service.

CaminoRacer

My DWS (not 06s) lasted 22k on the rear, including lots of hard autox laps and only rotating side to side. The fronts are still good, down to just the DW on the wear indicator. I can probably get 35k out of them, again only rotating them side to side and with lots of hard autox laps. I've got DWS06 on the rear now, will replace the fronts with them whenever needed. Great tires.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

I love Michelin tires.  And on tire rack I don't find them to be significantly more expensive than competitors.  Every car my family owns is now on Michelins, having messed with other brands (Good Year, Toyo, Dunlop, Kumho, etc) for over 20 years or so and been disappointed.

The G37x is on X-Ice Xi3's right now, awesome snow tires, also drives well in the dry.  The summer tires were Kumho, which were not as good even as these snow tires in the dry.  They will be replaced with either Pilot 3 AS+ or Super Sports in the spring

The Z06 is on Pilot Super Sports, absolutely amazing tires, quiet, handles well, grips like crazy.  Previous tires were Toyos (no longer produced), and prior to that OEM was Good Year Supercar F1s.  Both were not nearly as good as the PSS.

The parents Accord has gone through a set of Pilot AS tires that were wonderful, and there is some sort of Michelin tires on it now but I forget the kind.  OEM tires were Dunlops that were not good as the Michelins

Their MDX is on Latitudes HPs, when they bought it, it came with some sort of awful Mastercraft tires.

12,000 RPM

Supersports on teh G37x? Any suspension mods?

Raza

I have never once had good experiences with Michelins (either crap tires at a "reasonable" price where better tires are the same or cheaper, or good tires and an exorbitant price compared to the competition).  I've had a lot of joy in my Bridgestones and Continentals.  Last four sets of tires I've had have been Continentals (DWS and DW) across two vehicles, and they've been superb.  I've had some flats with DWs since moving neighborhoods, but I think that's more the street and the low profile and possible malfeasance than the tire quality. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Versa comes equipped with Continentals from the factory. Low rolling resistance, or something. I think it's just a way of saying no traction, very hard, let's understeer.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

I just tore through the Michelin MXM4s on my G37x in about 35,000 miles. I mean, I've got ~3/16ths left, so in theory legal, but it's starting to tramline on freeway ruts and they are roaring quite a bit. All tires suffer from noticeable declines well before hitting the wear bars. I don't really buy that there is a big difference between tires and manufacturers within the same stat groups.

I just got Bridgestone LM-60 tires on so I'm set for winter. The G w/18" wheels has NVH and ride issues so gonna try for something softer than the MXM4s. The Continental TrueContact has top rading for ride and road noise but it's basically a Camcord tire. Will have to think about that though. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is rated almost as high however.

FoMoJo

Still have the original tires on our '09 Escape, Michelin Latitude Tour.  216K kilometres, but swap them out for about 4 months each year for snows.  Bit worn but still usable.  Best tires we've ever had.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Just get super sports and a louder stereo.  Problem solved.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2016, 08:23:29 PM
I just tore through the Michelin MXM4s on my G37x in about 35,000 miles. I mean, I've got ~3/16ths left, so in theory legal, but it's starting to tramline on freeway ruts and they are roaring quite a bit. All tires suffer from noticeable declines well before hitting the wear bars. I don't really buy that there is a big difference between tires and manufacturers within the same stat groups.

I just got Bridgestone LM-60 tires on so I'm set for winter. The G w/18" wheels has NVH and ride issues so gonna try for something softer than the MXM4s. The Continental TrueContact has top rading for ride and road noise but it's basically a Camcord tire. Will have to think about that though. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is rated almost as high however.

MXM4s are shit tires.  They're not quiet, they're not grippy, they don't have particularly long life.  I couldn't wait to get them off my Jetta.  I think I burned through them in 15-18K.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Its funny I don't think I have ever had Michelin tires. Most cars I have owned either had Continentals or Pirelli. Generally speaking I have liked the Pirelli tires better (sticker IMHO), but have never really had "problem" with Continentals. My current car came stock with Continentals but I am planning to replace them with Pirelli P Zero's once they wear out. Who knows though...every reviewers seems to love the Michelin PSS so maybe I will give them a go.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 07, 2016, 11:51:19 AM
Its funny I don't think I have ever had Michelin tires. Most cars I have owned either had Continentals or Pirelli. Generally speaking I have liked the Pirelli tires better (sticker IMHO), but have never really had "problem" with Continentals. My current car came stock with Continentals but I am planning to replace them with Pirelli P Zero's once they wear out. Who knows though...every reviewers seems to love the Michelin PSS so maybe I will give them a go.

My Mercedes and my Jetta had Michelins.  Can't remember what my Passat had, but I think that had Michelins too.  Boxster had Continentals and I think the Z4 had Bridgestones when I first got it, but who knows if those were OE or not. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

I am hoping my next car will warrant PSSs. That's the goal.

I think I have Michelin Pilot Road 4s on the bike. Kind of like a high performance all season equivalent. Bike came with Bridgestones. The character difference between the two seemed pretty huge. Bridgestones seemed to have a more aggressive profile.... really easy to tip in but less stable. Michelins are more stable and I think provide a little more feel and grip. Hoping my next bike warrants some sport tires.

Rich

And here I am trying to get the slipperiest tires I can find

I bought some Michelin fuel economy tires for the stock wheels last fall.  They stick better than the 10mm wider summer S-Drives on the 15" wheels  :facepalm: :violin: :shakesfist:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Klackamas

Resurrecting: I did not want to start a new thread on tires.

A few years ago, I read in several places that the new standard tire was going to be these run flat tires (basically with fins, spokes or other material in them) and they were going to be all the rage. It never happened. I wonder why or if they're still on the way?

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2016, 06:29:54 AM
I am hoping my next car will warrant PSSs. That's the goal.
:lol:

Klacky, regarding tire tech... there's really 3 drivers: cost, fuel economy, performance. Run flats already kind of suck at everything, and those look to be in the same vein. There was a lot of tech we were "supposed" to get by now :lol:

giant_mtb

If your previous tires were basically bald, you're blind to the actual benefits between the two. A fresh set always feels amazing compared to a bare set.

Regardless, :rockon:.