Can I clean my engine compartment with a pressure water sprayer?

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2017, 12:28:22 PM

cawimmer430

My engine compartment is quite dirty. It's the place I never clean when I clean my car. But I would like to give it a makeover and ensure that is in great visual condition.

Here's my stupid question: Can I clean it using a low/medium-pressure water sprayer?

They have these low/medium pressure water sprayers at local gas stations and it says on them it's "safe" to wash your engine compartment with them. I am just worried about the electronics...

If the experts here tell me to abstain from this, I'll gladly clean my engine compartment manually. Can anyone recommend any specific cleaning sprays/liquids that might come in handy? Thanks!

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

It should be fine. Try to avoid spraying the coil packs and plug wires directly, but stuff like the valve covers, engine block, fender wells, etc. can all be safely hosed off. Some places have engine bay cleaner as an option on the pressure washer. If not, you could pick up some degreaser at the store and spray it on before hosing it off.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2017, 12:31:14 PM
It should be fine. Try to avoid spraying the coil packs and plug wires directly, but stuff like the valve covers, engine block, fender wells, etc. can all be safely hosed off. Some places have engine bay cleaner as an option on the pressure washer. If not, you could pick up some degreaser at the store and spray it on before hosing it off.

Good info, thanks!  :ohyeah:

I wouldn't spray the water on wires directly (afraid of electronic issues afterwards).

And should I do the initial water spraying when the engine has cooled down somewhat?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2017, 12:31:14 PM

+1

If you're feeling ambituous, take a scrub brush to scrub extra grimy areas.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
And should I do the initial water spraying when the engine has cooled down somewhat?

Yeah, you could open the hood and let the heat escape for a few minutes before spraying it.

MX793

I personally wouldn't use high pressure.  Nothing more than a regular garden hose pressure.

Don't spray water on an engine that's too hot to touch with your bare hands

Avoid spraying high pressure water on electrical components or connectors (fuse box, spark plug coils, etc).  These can get wet, but a direct, high pressure stream can force water past weather seals and cause a short circuit.

Avoid spraying high pressure water at the air box.

Avoid spraying high pressure water at the radiator, you can damage the fin stock
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Pressure washers lose a lot of oomph at distance, so if you're not right on top of it, it'll be fine.  Just keep the wand up at head height, a solid few feet from the engine itself. I usually go the extra mile and cover stuff like air intakes, alternator, and fuse boxes with rags, as those can just be wiped down later.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on October 01, 2017, 02:00:44 PM
I personally wouldn't use high pressure.  Nothing more than a regular garden hose pressure.

Don't spray water on an engine that's too hot to touch with your bare hands

Avoid spraying high pressure water on electrical components or connectors (fuse box, spark plug coils, etc).  These can get wet, but a direct, high pressure stream can force water past weather seals and cause a short circuit.

Avoid spraying high pressure water at the air box.

Avoid spraying high pressure water at the radiator, you can damage the fin stock

Great info, many thanks!  :cheers:

Perhaps the best thing for me to do is do this manually. I'd still have to do this at a gas station since washing/cleaning your car on the street is illegal here...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 01, 2017, 02:12:05 PM
Pressure washers lose a lot of oomph at distance, so if you're not right on top of it, it'll be fine.  Just keep the wand up at head height, a solid few feet from the engine itself. I usually go the extra mile and cover stuff like air intakes, alternator, and fuse boxes with rags, as those can just be wiped down later.

:ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

I need to wash the engine bay of the S2000 soon. Personally, I'm going to avoid the power washer. Going to try to steam clean instead. Should be a lot safer I think.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

No matter what you use, it's safe if you're not an idiot. :huh:

The fear people have of cleaning their engine bay is similar to the fear people have of buffing. 

cawimmer430

I'm gonna do it manually. Gonna go to the supermarket tomorrow to look for specific engine cleaning sprays/liquids etc. My local supermarket has a chemical section which offers all sorts of car cleaning supplies.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Is there a point to cleaning the engine bay of a car that's not a show car?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2017, 09:55:35 AM

It just makes me feel better if my engine bay is clean. I mean it wouldn't hurt to clean it once in awhile. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2017, 09:55:35 AM

Not really.  Most cars go their entire lives without the engine bay ever being cleaned.

Raza

Figured as much. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something damaging by not cleaning it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2017, 10:25:06 AM
Figured as much. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something damaging by not cleaning it.

It's the thing under the front hatch in your car that's no good for storing vintage leather briefcases in.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 04, 2017, 07:09:23 AM
It's the thing under the front hatch in your car that's no good for storing vintage leather briefcases in.

Joke's on you, my last sports car didn't even have an engine bay. Both trunks were vintage leather briefcase storage units.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

shp4man

If the spark plugs are at the bottom of deep Wells, then don't put water on the engine. I've made a bunch of cash fixing misfires caused by this shit.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 04, 2017, 08:15:53 AM
Joke's on you, my last sports car didn't even have an engine bay. Both trunks were vintage leather briefcase storage units.

Ridiculous.

One of those was clearly meant for a golf bag.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on October 04, 2017, 01:17:22 PM
If the spark plugs are at the bottom of deep Wells, then don't put water on the engine. I've made a bunch of cash fixing misfires caused by this shit.

Just remove the plugs and coils before spraying water on top of the engine so they stay dry.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: MX793 on October 04, 2017, 03:47:38 PM
Just remove the plugs and coils before spraying water on top of the engine so they stay dry.

Well, if you take out the plugs, where will the water go? Yep, that's right!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on October 04, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
Well, if you take out the plugs, where will the water go? Yep, that's right!

Crank the engine a couple times without the plugs, then reinstall.

A little bit of water isn't bad. It'll steam clean junk off the top of the pistons and valves.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

The coilpacks are probably on their way out anyways so put em out of their misery and blast away
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on October 04, 2017, 01:48:57 PM
This explains why your coils keep crapping out.

The last time they went sour was at 40,000 km+. I now have 120,000 km+ and the only thing which has since gone wrong between that time was a faulty brake light bulb. I know what you're thinking: WHAT A POS.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer