Focus transmission issues

Started by Payman, January 09, 2018, 05:13:35 AM

Payman

Sitting here, 7:10 am, waiting for Ford to return my call and send a tow truck. I had the clutch replaced and the transmission remapped under warranty over the holidays. Last night while pulling into an intersection the car stopped driving fwd and the engine light came on. Luckily reverse worked, so I was able to back into a side street. Fiddled a bit, and fwd started working so I nursed the car about a kilometre home. This morning, nothing works. Fuck.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

I don't think he has a normal manual.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on January 09, 2018, 06:00:40 AM
Garbage POS DCT.

AKA PowerShift (TM).  I've been looking for a used Focus or Fiesta to replace my Jetta as a winter car but all of the ones I find for sale are fitted with that POS DCT gearbox.

Wasn't there some kind of class action suit regarding those transmissions?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on January 09, 2018, 07:26:53 AM
AKA PowerShift (TM).  I've been looking for a used Focus or Fiesta to replace my Jetta as a winter car but all of the ones I find for sale are fitted with that POS DCT gearbox.

Manual Focus or Fiesta are terrific cars. Avoid the DCT like the plague. Car is now at the dealer.

2o6

Yeah, the DCT is both Dim-Witted and kind of unreliable.

Sorry to hear! Hope a replacement isn't too pricey!

Quote from: MX793 on January 09, 2018, 07:26:53 AM

(SONIC 1.4T)

shp4man

Sounds like they messed something up when they did the clutch. They typically don't fail completely like that.
There is an issue with chattering on low speed acceleration, but they usually keep working.

Payman

They replaced the clutch and TCM (transmission control module). My money's on the TCM.

CaminoRacer

My brother's had has to go to the dealer a couple times. Nice car, but that DCT is annoying sometimes. I much prefer my mom's Cruze hatch with a normal auto.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Bad TCM. They should have replaced it when they swapped the clutch back in December. The dealer called me this morning... the TCM won't be in until tomorrow, and in the meantime, I need a new battery. He quoted me $335 installed. I said er, no, I'll pick up a battery and install it myself. Did it in the parking lot in 5 minutes, and saved $200. The rest is warranty work.

Payman

Got the car back, shifts pretty smooth now, and no judder on takeoff.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on January 09, 2018, 08:13:54 AM
Manual Focus or Fiesta are terrific cars. Avoid the DCT like the plague. Car is now at the dealer.
Only drove a Fiesta with DCT once on a rental.  Don't know if it was broken or not, but it was crap. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

I had a clutch 'automatic' transmission on a rental smartcar ForFour in Germany. So garbage. It had two modes: accelerate about as fast as your 90yr grandpa, or whiplash on every shift.
Will