Steering shimmy

Started by AutobahnSHO, February 03, 2018, 01:47:42 PM

giant_mtb

If the bulk of the work/cost is getting the gasket done, I'd just foot the bill and have them do everything else as well so you don't have to worry about it.  If you want to do it yourself, absolutely go for it, but sometimes it's just nice to let the pros kill a few birds with one stone and have it over with.

Payman

Replacing the rear drum brakes on my son's Pontiac G5 was a bitch. The shop wanted $260 to do them, but I decided I could save money by doing it myself. Buying the parts and cleaner to do it was over $100 as it was, but the hours of swearing at seized parts and thumb-stabbing springs convinced me to never tackle that job again. Some things are worth just having the shop do them.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 28, 2018, 12:46:20 PM
If the bulk of the work/cost is getting the gasket done, I'd just foot the bill and have them do everything else as well so you don't have to worry about it.  If you want to do it yourself, absolutely go for it, but sometimes it's just nice to let the pros kill a few birds with one stone and have it over with.

Quote from: Rockraven on February 28, 2018, 12:58:56 PM
Some things are worth just having the shop do them.

Totally agree.

I started wrenching when I was super-broke and they wanted $110 to replace a CV boot on the SHO when I first bought it. Part was $10.   Half a day later.....   

I later tried to do engine internal junk and that's part of what killed the SHO on the Autobahn. :cry:

I can do brakes and simple stuff, it's amazing how different some vehicles are from each other. My 1999 caravan to install a trailer hitch meant removing the bumper cover, drilling holes, fishing a nut through the frame with a wire, and tightening the bolt holding the hitch to that nut.

On my 2003 Honda and 2004 Toyota minivans though, you just move the muffler out of the way, and bolt the hitch to the pre-tapped holes in the frame.
Will

2o6

Yeah you probably have to drop that motor slightly to get it