An NOS distributor for Ol' Blue's 250 inch 6-banger.

Started by shp4man, March 20, 2018, 01:20:06 PM

shp4man

I installed the new NOS distributor I got from a guy on my truck forum. Checked initial timing on the old one, was set at about 8 degrees BTDC. Spec is 4 BTDC, but I've heard from old GM mechanics that timing should be advanced to just before pinging starts on regular gas with this motor.
So installed the new distributor and set initial timing at the same 8 BTDC. Drove the truck to work today- HOLY CRAP! what a difference. Way more acceleration, should have done this a long time ago, but I though the old distributor was OK.
Think I've got the Rochester B carb and the spark timing dialed in pretty good now. Feelin' all those 155 ponies now baby!  :lol:

Soup DeVille

I thought that was good advice for pretty much all engines with standard distributors?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2018, 01:30:50 PM
I thought that was good advice for pretty much all engines with standard distributors?

Some engines can get hard to start if the timing is advanced too far.

shp4man

Thinking about power cleaning the engine and trans (you can see it from the top) and purtyin' it up. OE engine color is blue, but I'm thinking Chevy orange/ nice"Hi-Torque 250" sticker on the valve cover. That or replace the door to cab weatherstrips. Probably should do that 1st.

CaminoRacer

Small blocks can advance more than that. I think mine is at 14* BTDC initial advance, 36* total. Idk if the 6s are okay with that though.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV