2021 Mazda CX-5

Started by Morris Minor, December 15, 2020, 03:54:55 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on December 20, 2020, 08:59:35 AM
Is this a 2020 or 2021?
I've changed the thread title: it's a 2021. I wanted it principally because they vastly improved the infotainment system. I believe the earlier versions did not do CarPlay.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on December 20, 2020, 12:31:22 PM

What you really don't want is a fucking wire hacked, Chinese made alarm system or tracking device that some dealers put in every car.
Then the finance person sells it for 3-4 hundred bucks. Or not. But it's still screwing up the human hair diameter wiring on your new car

That definitely sounds like a California thing.

My dad's VW has an alarm. It came from CA.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

I put in a tankful of premium.  This thing's a real little firecracker under the unassuming identikit CUV skin. Mazda should put this engine in the MX-5. It's got a sort of Subaru throaty flat-4 throb to it.

Eye of the Tiger

I would run premium in it all the time. It's not like it uses any gas.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Coming up to three weeks with the CX-5. Still loving it. It uses more gas, but it's nice to have a car that warms up and has enough heat to give to the cabin. Unlike the Honda there's no "Eco" button with a little green leaf printed on it. Just "Sport" which bumps it a couple of levels up above the normal "Actually-Quite-Sporty-Already."

And brake feel. I love the brake feel. Perfectly modulated.

My main complaint is lack of center cubby & door pocket space in front. It's difficult to keep a discrete Glock in this thing.

CaminoRacer

Center cubby, door pockets? Man I wish I had those in the Miata :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 28, 2020, 07:03:41 PM
Center cubby, door pockets? Man I wish I had those in the Miata :lol:

This doohickey will literally double your in-cabin storage. :lol: :cry:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2248535
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 28, 2020, 03:01:11 PM
It's difficult to keep a discrete Glock in this thing.

:mask:

I saw where they make safes for guns for trucks, I'm "SURE" the CX-5 demographic wants to carry too, right??....
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 28, 2020, 07:38:43 PM
LOL

You know I'm not joking, right? ND doesn't even have a passenger glove compartment.

shp4man

The NC has a cup holder in each door, a net storage pocket on both doors, like for papers, a decent glove box and a small storage area between the seats.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on December 28, 2020, 08:40:30 PM
The NC has a cup holder in each door, a net storage pocket on both doors, like for papers, a decent glove box and a small storage area between the seats.

The ND is a step down all around for storage. The cupholders are little freestanding metal modules which normally sit between the driver and passenger seats, but one of them can be relocated into the passenger footwell when the passenger isn't present. I'm sure all these things add up to some srs weight savings, but still, I'd have killed for them to keep the dashboard glove compartment!

Morris Minor

I think I've figured out why to do for window tint: super-light 90 pc ceramic all round except the windshield. 90% transmission will cut heat and take the already 80% driver and passenger doors to 30pc blockage. Which is around the legal limit. Also helps with the missus' privacy.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 28, 2020, 09:04:58 PM
The ND is a step down all around for storage. The cupholders are little freestanding metal modules which normally sit between the driver and passenger seats, but one of them can be relocated into the passenger footwell when the passenger isn't present. I'm sure all these things add up to some srs weight savings, but still, I'd have killed for them to keep the dashboard glove compartment!

I have never locked the Miata doors so I don't keep anything but some napkins and a pencil in the glove box. I lock the registration etc... in the trunk.

But my glove box and center console don't lock either so.... 
Will

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 01, 2021, 02:16:15 AM
I think I've figured out why to do for window tint: super-light 90 pc ceramic all round except the windshield. 90% transmission will cut heat and take the already 80% driver and passenger doors to 30pc blockage. Which is around the legal limit. Also helps with the missus' privacy.

Is that enough to allow her to communicate with her hands, e.g. at a four way stop? Really heavy tinting makes that tough..

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 02, 2021, 08:13:34 PM
Is that enough to allow her to communicate with her hands, e.g. at a four way stop? Really heavy tinting makes that tough..

Sometimes it's best for the hand gestures to be hidden :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 02, 2021, 09:32:25 PM
Sometimes it's best for the hand gestures to be hidden :lol:

Flipping the bird would at least break the infinite cycle of "no, you" :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 02, 2021, 09:34:42 PM
Flipping the bird would at least break the infinite cycle of "no, you" :lol:

Sitting there and doing a burnout works, too

Morris Minor

Discovered yesterday something else I like about the CX-5. It's got a real attention-getting two-tone horn. The Honda had a penny-pincher pathetic beep.

And C&D's Jan '21 issue has their 10 Best: the CX-5 is one of them (& so, I see, is the lovely Genesis GV80.)

Morris Minor

I gave the CX-5 a chance sprint to a gallop this morning. She torque-steered me, the little minx.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 12, 2021, 08:53:13 PM
I gave the CX-5 a chance sprint to a gallop this morning. She torque-steered me, the little minx.

AWD or FWD?

Morris Minor

AWD. It definitely tugged & squirreled, I think on the 2nd-3rd upchange.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 13, 2021, 04:45:55 AM

Wouldn't have happened on a Subie. :mrcool:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 13, 2021, 04:45:55 AM
Did you floor it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 13, 2021, 03:15:59 PM
Not quite - throttle open 80-85%

You need to floor it and make sure the red line works. :lol:

Morris Minor

I was filling up this afternoon and contemplating the blanked-off filler for DEF, as used in diesel versions. It's a shame that Mazda have given up on diesel CX-5s in the US. They only sold 1,000 or so of them. Anyway I turned round and saw this in the trash bin next to the pump.

Laconian

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2021, 03:14:46 PM
A juice box of urine?
Exactly - at truck stops it's sold at the pump - millions of gallons of pee.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator