Jeep Wrangler JL

Started by giant_mtb, December 06, 2017, 11:34:09 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Galaxy on November 15, 2018, 01:05:07 PM
The one thing that bothers me is the weird cut out of the rear doors. In 4 door Wrangler this is where the wheel arch would be, but on the truck the wheels are further back. They really should have made new doors for this, since this looks like a back alley shop cobbled it together.

I noticed that too, but from a practical sense, that's the part of the interior where the seat is, so it's not really blocking anything, and while I know this is a stretch for a justification (I'm sure the real reason was to avoid having to retool a few machines on the production line), I suppose that there's a small chance that a rock on some 4x4 trail could prevent the door from opening if it were in *just* the right place and it was a full door.

93JC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 15, 2018, 02:02:04 PM
I noticed that too, but from a practical sense, that's the part of the interior where the seat is, so it's not really blocking anything ... (I'm sure the real reason was to avoid having to retool a few machines on the production line)...

:hesaid:

Galaxy

It got a 1 star rating in EuroNCAP.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/Jeep/Wrangler/34192

Did not expect it to do that bad.  :mask:

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on December 05, 2018, 04:13:02 PM

Euro NCAP heavily weights driver assist/automation features (auto emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, etc).  IIRC, the Mustang got a pretty poor rating on Euro NCAP, not because of how it actually held up in a collision, but because it didn't have various automated assist features.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Yeah, I went through the PDF of that report. And although it didn't do super well in general crash testing, it seemed like a lot of its negative rating was coming from a lack of bullshit like "active hood" or automatic crash-avoidance crap.

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on December 05, 2018, 04:52:12 PM
Euro NCAP heavily weights driver assist/automation features (auto emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, etc).  IIRC, the Mustang got a pretty poor rating on Euro NCAP, not because of how it actually held up in a collision, but because it didn't have various automated assist features.

The Wrangler would have gotten a two star rating with all of the tech features.

The main problem with the Mustang was that the dummies slid underneath the seat belts. 

BimmerM3

I have literally never looked at a crash test rating when I was looking into cars to purchase. I doubt Jeep is gonna lose many customers over that - maybe a few parents who are buying vehicles for their kids.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 05, 2018, 05:20:32 PM
I have literally never looked at a crash test rating when I was looking into cars to purchase. I doubt Jeep is gonna lose many customers over that - maybe a few parents who are buying vehicles for their kids.

Yeah, it's really just a marketing tool towards the paranoid and parentals.

r0tor

I'd be more worried about "death wobble"... But jeep buyers don't care about that so who cares about crash ratings or death wobble when your cruising around with the doors off and the top off
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 05, 2018, 06:01:40 PM
I'd be more worried about "death wobble"... But jeep buyers don't care about that so who cares about crash ratings or death wobble when your cruising around with the doors off and the top off

Is death wobble still a thing?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 05, 2018, 06:22:18 PM

On motorcycles and old Jeeps that people have done half assed axle flops on.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 05, 2018, 06:22:18 PM

NHTSA is investigating on the new JL after a bunch of complaints
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on December 05, 2018, 07:16:58 PM

lol really?

Also it seems like the world just forgot about that whole faulty frame weld thing. I guess the problem wasn't as bad as originally reported?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 05, 2018, 07:16:58 PM

I wonder of it has something to do with lift kits ... and stupid yoooge wheels/tires

Morris Minor

Lift kits, yooge wheels, Mad Max body & window cladding, and at least three million-lumen LED light bars are the thing around here on Wranglers. And black/dark grey camo paint obviously. Menacing is the look to go for.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 05, 2018, 07:47:39 PM
lol really?

Also it seems like the world just forgot about that whole faulty frame weld thing. I guess the problem wasn't as bad as originally reported?

The quality expectations of Wrangler owners is a fairly low

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 05, 2018, 07:49:29 PM
I wonder of it has something to do with lift kits ... and stupid yoooge wheels/tires

Some complaints seem to be stock wranglers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2018, 06:15:14 AM
The quality expectations of Wrangler owners is a fairly low

It's funny how much Alfa looks like Wrangler when you spell it that way.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 06, 2018, 07:14:19 AM
It's funny how much Alfa looks like Wrangler when you spell it that way.

The key difference is after a 5 minute road test, any potential buyer knows a wrangler is a complete utter POS on the pavement... and will still buy it just because of image.

An alfa buyer will be so in love after a 5 minute road test that they no longer care.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2018, 07:38:40 AM
The key difference is after a 5 minute road test, any potential buyer knows a wrangler is a complete utter POS on the pavement... and will still buy it just because of image.

An alfa buyer will be so in love after a 5 minute road test that they no longer care.

Probably  :lol:

giant_mtb

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 06, 2018, 09:41:34 AM
If by "a bunch," you mean...11.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/jeep-wrangler-death-wobble-nhtsa/

That article is almost 2 weeks old. It could easily be up to 12 by now.

It would be interesting to see how many of the complaints are for 2 door Wranglers compared to 4 door. Either would be just as likely to experience the condition but it would tend to be more destabilizing on a shorter wheelbase vehicle.

Galaxy

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 05, 2018, 07:47:39 PM
Also it seems like the world just forgot about that whole faulty frame weld thing.

The world got their Wrangler frames from China, they did all of the welding correctly. The US Wrangler frames are from Detroit they had their difficulties.  :devil:

93JC

Quote from: Galaxy on December 05, 2018, 04:13:02 PM

Interesting reddit post about it: "NCAP tests of Jimny vs. Wrangler: same issues, very different scores."

The gist: actual test results weren't all that bad for the Wrangler, but...

QuoteAlthough dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger dummy, structures in the dashboard were thought to present a risk to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions, and protection of this body area was rated as marginal.

So... even though the actual test result was decent EuroNCAP assumed that the dashboard design posed a "risk" and they downgraded the results. They also just didn't perform a crash test into a pole at all, and gave the Wrangler zero for that, skewing the results even further downward.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 05, 2018, 05:20:32 PM
I have literally never looked at a crash test rating when I was looking into cars to purchase.

Nor I. As I have said before, scores on a crash test will tell you how well the car performs within the narrow parameters of that particular test. In generally it's likely to correlate with actual real-life "safety", but not necessarily so. The difference between "1-star", "4-star" is a matter of millimetres.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on December 06, 2018, 02:35:48 PM
The difference between "1-star", "4-star" is a matter of millimetres.

and headrest adjusting shenanigans.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2018, 07:38:40 AM

We get it. Anything that goes offroad deeply offends you because it isn't a sports car. lol

Raza

These things were all over the place when I was in Hawaii.  I came very close to renting one when I realized I've still never driven one.  I mean, I can only say they're bad on-road because I've been told they're bad on-road.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2018, 02:42:42 AM
These things were all over the place when I was in Hawaii.  I came very close to renting one when I realized I've still never driven one.  I mean, I can only say they're bad on-road because I've been told they're bad on-road.

It's bad if you have the wrong expectations.  Like if I were to take an Aston off road and be like "omg it's bad off road."  Well, no shit.  A Wrangler is a solid-axle, purpose-built off road machine. Why people act surprised when it doesn't drive like a Ford Escape is beyond me.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 11, 2018, 09:40:00 AM
It's bad if you have the wrong expectations.  Like if I were to take an Aston off road and be like "omg it's bad off road."  Well, no shit.  A Wrangler is a solid-axle, purpose-built off road machine. Why people act surprised when it doesn't drive like a Ford Escape is beyond me.

They're great for Utah roads. Damn construction workers can't build a parking lot entrance to save their life. They always have 2" curbs and steep inclines. Perfect for a Jeep, hell for compact cars with low profile tires.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

There's a reason why you hear that they're bad on-road. They're slow, loud, the interior is made of interlocked Rubbermaid totes, and they get 16mpg for no apparent reason.

The throttle does that truck thing where 50% of its travel yields louder fuel guzzling sounds but no actual acceleration.

What did you think of Hawaii?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT