SC Speed traps

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 30, 2015, 12:12:11 PM

AutobahnSHO

So Sunday morning (5:30am) left the GA/SC border and headed east on I-20, to meet ex and drop kids off (near I-95 interchange), then return.

I set the cruise at 10mph over the 70mph limit. About 3/4 of the way there saw a duo of Troopers pulled people over.

On the westbound return trip, some black Camry went zooming by at least 10-15 more than me. Not even 3min later see the troopers  with the Camry still slowing/pulling over and some other car getting pulled over as well.

---- --- ---- ----

I assume it was just because of Thanksgiving weekend, but I had never seen the duo thing before.
Will

MX793

I've seen multi-car traps locally when they are doing traffic enforcement initiatives, generally around major travel holidays or when trying to crack down on DWIs (which generally takes in far more tickets for non-DWI offenses than DWI offenses).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Cops elevating patrol over a holiday weekend??? What?!

CALL_911

Lol oh god you should've seen NYS rt.17. Looked like all the dunkin donuts in the country relocated along that road

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 30, 2015, 01:24:58 PM
Lol oh god you should've seen NYS rt.17. Looked like all the dunkin donuts in the country relocated along that road

Interesting.  I think I saw one trooper on I-90 on Thanksgiving sitting at a spot where there's always a trooper on traffic duty. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Lol
Will

dazzleman

Route 17 is a heavily patrolled road all.the time, it seems.  So many people I have known have gotten tickets on that road.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2015, 12:12:11 PM
So Sunday morning (5:30am) left the GA/SC border and headed east on I-20, to meet ex and drop kids off (near I-95 interchange), then return.

I set the cruise at 10mph over the 70mph limit. About 3/4 of the way there saw a duo of Troopers pulled people over.

On the westbound return trip, some black Camry went zooming by at least 10-15 more than me. Not even 3min later see the troopers  with the Camry still slowing/pulling over and some other car getting pulled over as well.

---- --- ---- ----

I assume it was just because of Thanksgiving weekend, but I had never seen the duo thing before.

I've seen Connecticut use the tag team strategy to nail people for speeding,  with one cop identifying the speeder and signaling the driver to pull over from the shoulrer, and then radioing ahead to a different cop to pull up behind and write the ticket.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on November 30, 2015, 05:46:58 PM
Route 17 is a heavily patrolled road all.the time, it seems.  So many people I have known have gotten tickets on that road.

I've gotten a few tickets on that road. Took it all of college, am gonna be using it for the next 4 years, and perhaps even after that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

NJ does it a lot on the Atlantic City Expressway.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on December 01, 2015, 03:44:35 PM
NJ does it a lot on the Atlantic City Expressway.

I have seen some major stings in New Jersey, with a big line of cars pulled over.  Luckily, it was on the other side of the road, and I went flying by at high speed.... :devil:

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2015, 12:12:11 PM

Coming back after Thanksgiving Missouri was crawling with State Highway Patrol cars.   We saw at least 20 which averages to one every 16 or so miles.

12,000 RPM

I got clipped doing 92 in a 65 or 70 in the Z somewhere up in NJ over a holiday weekend. It was a similar setup. Funny story actually. Someone stole and replaced my plates, so when the tags didn't match they called for back up and swarmed. In any case I think that whole confusion pretty much guaranteed the ticket didn't go on my record.

I would not be surprised if cops had bait cars out getting people to speed. I was following an X5
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 09, 2015, 08:01:55 AM
I got clipped doing 92 in a 65 or 70 in the Z somewhere up in NJ over a holiday weekend. It was a similar setup. Funny story actually. Someone stole and replaced my plates, so when the tags didn't match they called for back up and swarmed. In any case I think that whole confusion pretty much guaranteed the ticket didn't go on my record.

Did you know they were swapped? How badly did the cops beat you?

I would not be surprised if cops had bait cars out getting people to speed. I was following an X5

Oh that would be dirty.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 09, 2015, 08:01:55 AM

You just can't stay out of trouble.

sparkplug

One tactic the police use in FL is to have a man in a helicopter running radar and the police on the ground pulling people over.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

dazzleman

Quote from: sparkplug on November 19, 2016, 09:19:44 PM
One tactic the police use in FL is to have a man in a helicopter running radar and the police on the ground pulling people over.

New York State Police have been doing this for a long time on certain roads, like I-84.  The Connecticut State Police were doing this over Thanksgiving weekend on I-84 through the state.  I drove that road on Thursday with no issue, however, and I didn't see anybody pulled over.

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on November 27, 2016, 10:27:00 AM
New York State Police have been doing this for a long time on certain roads, like I-84.  The Connecticut State Police were doing this over Thanksgiving weekend on I-84 through the state.  I drove that road on Thursday with no issue, however, and I didn't see anybody pulled over.

They supposedly use aircraft enforcement on I-81 as well.  One giveaway, besides signs saying they use aircraft, is there will be obvious mile-marker lines painted across the road.  Aerial spotters then time vehicles between the lines to estimate the speed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on November 27, 2016, 10:48:01 AM
They supposedly use aircraft enforcement on I-81 as well.  One giveaway, besides signs saying they use aircraft, is there will be obvious mile-marker lines painted across the road.  Aerial spotters then time vehicles between the lines to estimate the speed.

That makes sense.  I don't have much concern about it either way.  There are so many other cars on the road speeding that my odds of getting popped are not that great, whatever the enforcement method.  I drove from Fairfield, CT to Boston on Thursday and while the traffic was moving along nicely, it was pretty heavy, and I never was in any danger of getting nailed.

Driving home this morning was a bit different.  I ran into a speed trap on I-90 outside of Boston at 90 mph (speed limit 65) but there were two staties simultaneously busy with two other customers when I came through, so I skated past it.  A bit earlier, maybe they'd have gotten me.  If so, more power to them.  I'll take my occasional penalty and continue speeding.  It's not worth worrying about too much.

12,000 RPM

I got clipped at 92 in the Z somewhere in Jersey. VA and NJ are about those traffic dollars. Thank god for Waze.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2016, 06:56:01 AM
I got clipped at 92 in the Z somewhere in Jersey. VA and NJ are about those traffic dollars. Thank god for Waze.
92 is badass though.  That's a ticket worth framing.

MrH

I haven't had a ticket in probably 7 or 8 years.  Waze is the best.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on December 02, 2016, 09:31:10 AM

I didn't know what Waze was 'til this summer.  A friend was visiting from Chicago and he talked about "using Waze" and I was like wtf is that and he was hilariously distraught when he realized "YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE WAZE HERE?!"  :lol:

Nope.  No Waze.  Just a sharp eye and good sense of direction. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on December 02, 2016, 09:31:10 AM

I guess Waze is making radar detectors obsolete.  And it also helps with laser, which is more difficult to detect until you are right upon it.

I used to use a radar detector a long time ago, but found it to be more trouble than it was worth.  Never had a laser detector.   I have not yet used Waze.  I need to give it a try.

Rich

Waze hasn't caught on much in Spain. Only good for the permanent speed cams. Anything that's time sensitive is not being caught.

But it'll work great with more users
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: Rich on December 04, 2016, 11:24:58 AM
Waze hasn't caught on much in Spain. Only good for the permanent speed cams. Anything that's time sensitive is not being caught.

But it'll work great with more users

Aren't the speed cameras their primary enforcement mechanism?

Rich

Yep. Occasionally I'll see cops on the side of the road waiting. I think 2-3 times so far in one year
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: Rich on December 04, 2016, 03:49:50 PM
Yep. Occasionally I'll see cops on the side of the road waiting. I think 2-3 times so far in one year

Do you speed up when you see them?  :evildude:

Morris Minor

I took a car service from Heathrow Airport to my mother's place last month. The driver knew every inch of the road and where every speed camera was located. It was amazing, even the stealth ones, no radar detector, no Waze; it was all in his head. I was half out of it but awake enough to realize he was periodically dropping from 85-90 to 70 for no obvious reason.
"Why are you doing that?"
"Speed camera here sir. Don't worry."
"Oh OK"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤