What should I get as a commuter car

Started by NomisR, June 02, 2018, 05:18:58 AM

Xer0

5 hours a week is worth driving a boring car, imo.  Unless you really really really want the Alfa, and it sounds like you do, I would stick with the Bolt/Volt/whatever.

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
IIRC once you get a sticker, you keep it. Friend's '08 Civic Hybrid got a sticker, still good today.

Didn't he say though that the Volt (not Bolt) he already has soon won't qualify or will expire?  I'm assuming he won't be able to renew it.

Payman

Sell everything and move closer to your jerb.

NomisR

Quote from: mzziaz on June 03, 2018, 09:05:52 AM
If you go the Bolt route, make sure you try out the seats properly. They are not for everyone (rather shitty).
That being said, my wife enjoys it. it is zippy and effortless driving. The interior is nowhere near a Giulia, though.

Yeah I've tried it.  It's "ok", I don't know how I would like them on a daily commute though.  One of the reason why I'm looking at another car because I didn't like the Volt's seat that much.

Quote from: Lebowski on June 03, 2018, 10:08:45 AM

"No time" to enjoy your existing fun car and you are even entertaining voluntarily surrendering up to an hour of free time a day?  For a POS Giulia?  Insanity!

And if you're not using the Elise, sell it too.

Time mainly because of kids which means I don't have the ability to drive a 2 seater as much.  With a 5 seater, it can be a family car which I would drive around more often on the weekends as well.  That's the difference...

2o6

Unless you're routinely dropping kids off on your commute, I can't see the point of giving up HOV lane access. Especially when you have an actual fun car you can drive if you wanted to.

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
IIRC once you get a sticker, you keep it. Friend's '08 Civic Hybrid got a sticker, still good today.
Quote from: veeman on June 03, 2018, 11:16:49 AM
Didn't he say though that the Volt (not Bolt) he already has soon won't qualify or will expire?  I'm assuming he won't be able to renew it.

Yeah my current Volt's sticker is expiring, if it wasn't for that, I would plan on keeping it.  And yes I definitely plan on leasing because of the value and based on what I read about HOV stickers for California, they seem to encourage leasing because the current stickers that's being issued now which is red in color expires in 2022.  The stickers I have right now on my car expires in 2019, both Jan.  And pretty much anything purchased after 2020, the sticker will last 3 years and the stickers will be issued until 2025.  So this seems like leasing is the best deal.

Quote from: Xer0 on June 03, 2018, 11:04:36 AM
5 hours a week is worth driving a boring car, imo.  Unless you really really really want the Alfa, and it sounds like you do, I would stick with the Bolt/Volt/whatever.

It might not be 5 hours a week anymore because LA county metro is changing the rules of one of the toll roads I take, I don't know when it takes effect, but pretty much, instead of paying $0 to drive it with HOV stickers, I pay would pay a "discounted rate" which is still pretty expensive, so instead of possible $15 one way, you're looking at $12.75, for example.  And during peak, I've seen the price go up to that much.  It's not in effect yet but we'll see when it changes.  If that's the case then I may just keep the Volt, or maybe get a Giulia because the stretch that I use the HOV is much shorter and not as beneficial. 

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2018, 09:22:26 PM
$12.75 one way...! WAT

Yup, so once they abandon the free toll road scheme, most of the time savings from having an electric car would be gone anyways.

Laconian

How long is your commute? How many toll gates do you go through?

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2018, 10:50:33 PM
How long is your commute? How many toll gates do you go through?

Going to work it's about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 mins give or take depending on traffic.  I might also request a schedule change so I can avoid some of that traffic as well.

12,000 RPM

Man I would def pursue the schedule change. I moved my work time 30 minutes earlier to get my daughter from day care and it makes a world of difference. Probably saves me an hour a day just getting in and out of my damn work parking lot

Then you can have your fun car and actually enjoy it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Up to an hour saved a day? I'd drive a Prius, minivan, whatever if it meant an hour a day. That's a massive quality of life change.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Yup, Bolt for sure, if you legit think you can keep on top of the charging.

The only thing worse than a long commute is running out of "fuel" in the middle of it.

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on June 03, 2018, 01:20:49 AM
The more I look at the pricing, with the discounts that's being offered on the Giula Quadrifoglio, I'm kinda leaning towards that..

:rockon:

Let's just do it and be legends, man.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on June 04, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
:rockon:

Let's just do it and be legends, man.

That man was truly a prophet. Fyre Festival will be remembered.

12,000 RPM

Fuck, thanks for that reminder :lol:

Still working through the logic of buying a nicer car to sit in more traffic.

r0tor

Merc C350e would be my choice off of the list... By an absolute mile
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 05, 2018, 10:30:38 AM
Merc C350e would be my choice off of the list... By an absolute mile
Did not see that. Yes, obvious choice.

BMW 330e looks pretty good as well. Personally I could care less about the plug in factor... but its nice to see some relatively affordable hybrids with style and balls. 30MPG combined and a low 14 second quarter mile sounds pretty damn good to me.

2o6

I feel like the 330e and 550e would lose HOV lane access in the very near future.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2018, 07:59:48 PM
Did not see that. Yes, obvious choice.

BMW 330e looks pretty good as well. Personally I could care less about the plug in factor... but its nice to see some relatively affordable hybrids with style and balls. 30MPG combined and a low 14 second quarter mile sounds pretty damn good to me.

That pretty much exists without the hybrid already. You're setting the bar pretty low. 2015 GTI did it in 14.5 and got combined 28mpg. Sure, it's technically mid 14s, not low, but it's less than 10% off the combined mileage. I would hope that all the extra money, weight, complexity, and potential environmental impact of hybrid batteries could yield more than .2 seconds in the 1/4 and 2mpg.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/gti/2015/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-first-test/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 05, 2018, 08:21:47 PM
I feel like the 330e and 550e would lose HOV lane access in the very near future.

None of them has HOV access in California, the only one that does is the 530e.  But since large part of my HOV access is via a toll road, and if I lose that, then an EV doesn't make as much difference anymore unless I'm looking to not pay anything on gas or maintenance. 

Morris Minor

What are the criteria for HOV-eligible cars?
Also, do I understand correctly that the sticker's non-renewable after the three years are up?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: NomisR on June 06, 2018, 05:15:42 AM
None of them has HOV access in California, the only one that does is the 530e.  But since large part of my HOV access is via a toll road, and if I lose that, then an EV doesn't make as much difference anymore unless I'm looking to not pay anything on gas or maintenance. 

530e maintenance is included 3 years IIRC.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 06, 2018, 03:43:25 PM
What are the criteria for HOV-eligible cars?
Also, do I understand correctly that the sticker's non-renewable after the three years are up?

Something about zero emissions, which is why a lot of the hybrid vehicles don't qualify due to emissions.  Non-renewable so it makes more sense to lease. 

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 06, 2018, 05:52:40 PM
530e maintenance is included 3 years IIRC.

Hmm, yeah, but still not as much fun.  Got an extended test drive of a Guilia a few days ago... I definitely want one.. it feels better than a 3 series to drive. 

NomisR

Coming back to this one, I might end up leasing a Chevy Bolt instead, the long term reviews of the Guilia seems like a nightmare that I don't want to deal with with my commuter car.  Since the carpool sticker will only last till 2022, I figure a lease would be easier since they're relatively cheap and I'll get another one with a sticker that will last another 3 years after this one expires.  Might not be as fun, but i'm at least saving some money from not having to charge at home too. 

mzziaz

Probably a wise choice. I hope you'll be happy with it. You might want to consider buying it outright. A decent amount of Bolts are getting imported here, so the residuals may stay pretty strong.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on October 05, 2018, 08:56:36 AM
Coming back to this one, I might end up leasing a Chevy Bolt instead, the long term reviews of the Guilia seems like a nightmare that I don't want to deal with with my commuter car.  Since the carpool sticker will only last till 2022, I figure a lease would be easier since they're relatively cheap and I'll get another one with a sticker that will last another 3 years after this one expires.  Might not be as fun, but i'm at least saving some money from not having to charge at home too. 

If the narrow seats agree with your butt, then you'll probably like it.

FoMoJo

Makes sense for a commuter car.  Do you have another car for fun?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

How do leases compare with the i3? i3 leases AFAIK are hugely subsidized. If you don't need the Bolt's extra range, the i3 is a far nicer place to spend time in.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)