Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2019, 12:03:44 PM
I can keep heated seats on forever. I might be cold blooded.

There's a universal fit kit thatgets installed under the upholstery I bought for the wagon, since I'm redoing the cushion foam anyways- infinite adjustability: I'll let y'all know if they work decently.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 08, 2019, 08:33:10 AM
Only at your local K-Mart!
Although, I prefer Brawny.

I don't have a local K-Mart anymore. The closest one was 30 minutes away and it's a CarMax now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 10, 2019, 05:58:49 AM
There's a universal fit kit thatgets installed under the upholstery I bought for the wagon, since I'm redoing the cushion foam anyways- infinite adjustability: I'll let y'all know if they work decently.

I've heard they work well enough.

68_427

My truck has three heat settings and can do both seat and back, or just back.  Just back feels so :wub:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

I reconnected with a guy I'd lost touch with years ago. He started his own auto service & repair shop and it's been going strong for 15 years.
His preferred brand by far - with the fewest problems - Toyota/Lexus. The rational choice for left-brainers.
Of  the Europeans - Mercedes-Benz only. (He would not touch BMW or VW AG - fine for short leases - but terrible for long-term ownership.)

(He's not heard of it, but was completely unsurprised by the Honda 1.5T oil dilution problem - "ya shoulda got the 2.4 Andrew")
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 10, 2019, 11:00:42 AM
I reconnected with a guy I'd lost touch with years ago. He started his own auto service & repair shop and it's been going strong for 15 years.
His preferred brand by far - with the fewest problems - Toyota/Lexus. The rational choice for left-brainers.
Of  the Europeans - Mercedes-Benz only. (He would not touch BMW or VW AG - fine for short leases - but terrible for long-term ownership.)

(He's not heard of it, but was completely unsurprised by the Honda 1.5T oil dilution problem - "ya shoulda got the 2.4 Andrew")

Interesting. Keep up the Jap superiority idea. How quaint.  :muffin:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on February 10, 2019, 03:34:46 PM
How do you figure? Guy fixes cars of all brands for a living... if he doesn't know who is reliable who does?

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 10, 2019, 07:13:58 PM
How do you figure? Guy fixes cars of all brands for a living... if he doesn't know who is reliable who does?

Ha. The times, they are a changin'. The Japs made the best a while ago, I'll give you that. Not so much any more.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on February 10, 2019, 07:49:56 PM
Ha. The times, they are a changin'. The Japs made the best a while ago, I'll give you that. Not so much any more.
Who makes the best now?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

I have a feeling that the most talented engineers in all companies have been moved off of  ICE cars/drivetrains and are now working on the electrics.

And the ICEs are being saddled with an entirely new generation of efficiency/emissions measures. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Yea, it is a double whammy in that way

I still think the plain hybrid is the most efficient use of resources. EVs are too battery intensive and electric source dependent. PHEVs combine the worst of both worlds and often don't even get charged by their owners. People just get them for the tax breaks. I hope to see a move away from PHEVs.

Xer0

So, I'm planning on replacing the Si with something this year as a birthday present to myself in September.  The current front runner is the Civic Type R so that I can continue the Honda fanboy.  I'll also try and drive a G70 Sport for shits and giggles but the reviews of the manual cars have been pretty tepid. 

Well, I was doing the usual enthusiast exercise of "maybe I could afford this awesome car if it was slightly used" and it turns out that 2017 M2s are being listed between 42-46K with a few examples as low as 40K.  This got the wheels a spinning as its not that far off the Type R, which are going for like 38K new.  Maybe an M2 is in my future  :hmm:

12,000 RPM

Split the difference? New 230i with the 6MT, M-Performance LSD & suspension, and wheels/tires. If you slum it on options you can get a brand new one for around $40K. My friend has a 228i and it's fucking quick.... def not far off from a CTR

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on February 10, 2019, 03:34:46 PM

You do realize that "Jap" is a slur, right?

He also only specifically mentioned Toyota as being reliable.

shp4man

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 11, 2019, 05:09:41 PM

In the motorcycle world, "Jap bike" is pretty common. It wasn't meant to be a racist comment.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 11, 2019, 04:38:46 PM
Split the difference? New 230i with the 6MT, M-Performance LSD & suspension, and wheels/tires. If you slum it on options you can get a brand new one for around $40K. My friend has a 228i and it's fucking quick.... def not far off from a CTR

I just don't see the benefit of saving 5K on a new 230 vs a barely used M2.  I thought a 230/228 might be a good fit for a bit but the way BMW pricing works you have to add a good amount of things to the 2 series to get it where you want vs the M2 which comes with all of it standard.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 11, 2019, 05:09:41 PM

It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like that's the reason it's considered derogatory. If that's the case, why is Jew still acceptable?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on February 11, 2019, 06:52:37 PM
It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like that's the reason it's considered derogatory. If that's the case, why is Jew still acceptable?

Its a mild slur; like kraut, limey or gopnik. Nobody's actually offended by it.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on February 11, 2019, 05:18:29 PM
In the motorcycle world, "Jap bike" is pretty common. It wasn't meant to be a racist comment.

I didn't mean to imply that you meant it to be racist - just letting you know that it has that connotation.

It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like that's the reason it's considered derogatory.

Pretty much. It's not the most vile thing in the world, but I still wouldn't throw it out in casual conversation.

If that's the case, why is Jew still acceptable?

Beats me. I'm not an etymologist.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Is not Jew the name of a people much the same as Roma?  Of course there are many pejoratives of both.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 11, 2019, 08:19:04 PM
Is not Jew the name of a people much the same as Roma?  Of course there are many pejoratives of both.

But Roma is also the name of a tomato.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

In Canada the Golf Sportwagen, and Alltrack have a 40% take rate on the manual transmission. Even VW is surprised. I guess they are kinda eccentric cars there to begin with, and if you go accentric you go all in.

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on February 11, 2019, 09:28:53 PM
In Canada the Golf Sportwagen, and Alltrack have a 40% take rate on the manual transmission. Even VW is surprised. I guess they are kinda eccentric cars there to begin with, and if you go accentric you go all in.
They should go full Jalopnik and make a standard trim out of a stinky diesel engine and Scheißbraun paint.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I hate how the EU wants to literally force everyone to drive an electric car. Until these cars have some range and a charging time of 5 minutes, then I will refuse to drive one.

As of late the EU has really shown its anti-democratic stance by ignoring the wishes of the people and introducing a bunch of censorship laws that are clearly aimed at silencing "regime"-critical voices. Critical voices and conspiracy theorists also believe that the electric car will be another means for the EU to control the population.

Namely:

1) Electric cars have crap range. Citizens can't go anywhere without constantly having to charge. Charging stations are rare.

2) If you're regime (yes, regime) critical the government can shut off your individual charging capabilities making you a sitting duck in your electric car.

George Orwell's 1984 says hello!

I recently saw a documentary about charging stations in Germany. Most charging stations are rated at a slow 20kw/h (IIRC) which slow-charge your car. You're billed by the hour. Seems like a great way to rip off the new electric car drivers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaMe6dbrKt0
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 12, 2019, 02:20:17 AM
2) If you're regime (yes, regime) critical the government can shut off your individual charging capabilities making you a sitting duck in your electric car.
The EU is nuts, but when have they ever cut off someone's electricity for dissent? Don't respond to crazy with crazy.