The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Detailed that Tacoma.  Haven't actually been inside a newer one.  Pretty nice, but I still prefer mine. :devil:

Morris Minor

Some interesting gadgetry here. I like the lightbar they hang up so they can see what they're doing.

https://youtu.be/BI1H0L8LQEw
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

^^ and I like the hint on using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to remove the kick scuffs from the doors. (went very gently & it works)

giant_mtb

That's very satisfying.  Very difficult to find a vehicle that is that dirty whose paint isn't also completely fucked, though, as far as fade and clear coat peel goes.  Gotta be a barn find with minimal sun exposure.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 11, 2018, 07:20:28 AM
White, Red, and blue*

Lol I've been holding my tongue on that
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

68_427

Quote from: 93JC on July 30, 2018, 08:26:16 PM
They do a good job punching through other cars' crumple zones too. Unsafe as hell; no roadworthy car should have one.

Yup a couple years ago a Jeep with one t boned a car, and the stinger went right through the window and crushed the teenage girl's skull.  They're illegal in NY but it's not enforced.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Was hearse day again today.

giant_mtb

OMG IT'S NOT A CENTER COUNCIL, IT'S A CONSOLE.

93JC

giant_mtb

Some of the latest whips.

These wheels were a biiiitch.  Spent about 45 minutes just on wheels/tires/wheelwells on this baby. 

MrH

An Aspen!

My friends have one. What a weird vehicle.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2018, 04:01:03 PM
An Aspen!

My friends have one. What a weird vehicle.

Agreed. I kinda wanted to hate it just cause it's a Chrysler, but it's realy not too bad.  Laid out well, as far as interior goes.  Easy to clean, even with the mess of 3 kids, and the color is nice.

Compared to a fuckin Traverse and those horrrrrrrible rear seat rails...much better for kids.

giant_mtb

Had a Georgia plate. As soon as the husband spoke I was like ahhh, you're the one from Georgia. :lol:

giant_mtb

Hoping Kota approves of my work today.

Morris Minor

I spent the day cleaning & waxing the seven-month-old CR-V. I don't think it had anything in the way of wax protection when it left the factory. Guessing the dealers just peel off the Tyvek and wipe them down for delivery to happy buyers

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 02, 2018, 03:39:31 PM
I spent the day cleaning & waxing the seven-month-old CR-V. I don't think it had anything in the way of wax protection when it left the factory. Guessing the dealers just peel off the Tyvek and wipe them down for delivery to happy buyers

Pretty much. Unless you spend the $600 for the Super Ultimate Miracle Paint and Interior Protection Package, which they can somehow magically apply within an hour while you're signing paper work.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 02, 2018, 03:45:57 PM
Pretty much. Unless you spend the $600 for the Super Ultimate Miracle Paint and Interior Protection Package, which they can somehow magically apply within an hour while you're signing paper work.
Yup - I'd assumed the factory gave it a protective layer of wax or something but, reading around, it's just naked clearcoat.

giant_mtb

Glad you got 'er done. :cheers:

IME, fresh paint/clear will bead water, but only because it has been buffed/polished to remove defects.

HurricaneSteve

'Ey, quick question. On black cars, what kind of cloth material do you use to wash it? A Miata forum member said that he used only terry cloth towels because microfiber can trap tiny particles that can in turn mar the surface and his mid 90's Miata still looks pristine. Yet just about everyone else recommends microfiber rags or mitts. Your thoughts?

giant_mtb

Either is fine.  Just make sure it's a high-pile (ie, thick, plush, deep fibers) cloth which allows the dirt to get sucked up into it rather than being dragged around on the paint.  Rinse the cloth frequently/thoroughly during your wash to avoid buildup of dirt that can cause swirls.  Work top to bottom, as the top of your car is generally cleaner than the lower portions that are near the road getting sprayed with junk.  A grit guard is very good to have.

Keeping black paint pristine is more involved than just making sure your wash process is good and clean.  Diligent polishing/waxing is also key to keeping black paint looking good for years.

Morris Minor

I bought a foam cannon today for my pressure washer. Now I need to learn how to use it.

giant_mtb

I love those lists of shitty detailing "hacks." 

Removing bugs from the front bumper and grill of your car can be tough. Some savvy car owners have found that using a cooking spray like Pam helps them wipe off easier. Others swear that applying a good coating of cooking spray or car wax before taking off on a bug-filled journey will also help.

:facepalm:

And how they also mention using - gasp - car wax to prevent bug buildup in the same sentence as suggesting Pam. :wtf:

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

Aztec's quarter panel is basically rusted through, and he's getting it detailed?

I mean, its already the ugliest car in the world, you could poke a hole through the outside with a kielbasa, and he's paying you to detail it?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 30, 2018, 06:14:29 PM
Aztec's quarter panel is basically rusted through, and he's getting it detailed?

I mean, its already the ugliest car in the world, you could poke a hole through the outside with a kielbasa, and he's paying you to detail it?

Yep!  They were mostly concerned about the fairly-neglected interior as they are looking to sell it.  But yeah, that fender was bad. Open the rear door and it's reallllly bad...pretty much the whole thing is gone.

I've seen worse as far as interiors go, but this one was...up there. :lol:

giant_mtb

I wish FB didn't compress pictures quite so much.  These look great on a phone-size screen, but not so much on a real screen.  In-shop pictures don't seem to turn out quite as well as the outdoor ones, just not enough natural light, or enough light period.  I even took them with my phone on a tripod to help...didn't help much. :lol:

BimmerM3

I'd guess that the background reflecting off of the car makes a pretty big difference - blue skies and green trees look better than toolboxes and random detailing supplies. Could you put up some sheets or something so that you're working with a solid background?

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 06, 2018, 05:24:54 PM
I'd guess that the background reflecting off of the car makes a pretty big difference - blue skies and green trees look better than toolboxes and random detailing supplies. Could you put up some sheets or something so that you're working with a solid background?

My plan is to put white metal corrugated siding type stuff on the walls.  Insulating when I bought the place was priority #1.   With that will come a cleaner shop and a cleaner look.