Stick Your Favorite ’80s Cassette Player In This 49k-Mile IROC-Z Convertible

Started by cawimmer430, September 01, 2020, 05:42:47 AM

cawimmer430

Stick Your Favorite '80s Cassette Player In This 49k-Mile IROC-Z Convertible

GM's F-Body platform cars like the third-generation Pontiac Firebird and the third-gen Chevrolet Camaro have aged pretty well when it comes to popularity, despite some of them being almost 30 years old.

The latter can be seen here in this Bring a Trailer ad in IROC-Z convertible spec, with 49,000 miles (79,000 km) on its odo. According to the ad, this is a one-owner car purchased new from Elco Chevrolet of Ballwin, Missouri. Doesn't it just make you want to go back to highschool?

Alright, that might sound a little weird, but you know exactly why it would. The IROC-Z spec was an icon, just like the Trans Am as far as the Firebird was concerned.

This Dark Red Metallic example comes with a typical black soft top and gold IROC-Z badges. Other features include the front fog lights, body-color side mirror caps, power antenna, tinted windows, dual exhausts and factory standard 16-inch five-spoke alloy wheels, finished in silver and gold with IROC-Z center caps.

Step inside the cabin and you'll quickly notice that it isn't exactly mint. Still, nothing looks particularly bad, and you do get Light Brown leather seats with tan cloth inserts, matching door panels, air conditioning, cruise control, tilt steering wheel, a Delco cassette stereo, Chevy-branded floor mats, power windows, mirrors and locks.

Compared to the plain vanilla Camaro Convertibles, the IROC-Z came with upgraded suspension, a lowered ride height, different shocks, larger sway bars and more. Moreover, its 5.0-liter LB9 V8 sent 195 HP to the rear wheels through a four-speed automatic gearbox and an optional limited-slip differential, which this car has.

While the third-gen Camaro isn't a very heavy car at just over 3,300 lbs (1,500 kg), don't expect it to feel particularly quick to drive – which, given the low output of that V8, is understandable.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/stick-your-favorite-80s-cassette-player-in-this-49k-mile-iroc-z-convertible/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

IROC Zs were the white trashiest of cars and super popular among the dropout set of my high school. Blechhhhh.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Quote5.0-liter V8 - 195 Horsepower
OOF

Quote4-speed automatic
DOUBLE OOF

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2020, 11:27:45 AM
IROC Zs were the white trashiest of cars and super popular among the dropout set of my high school. Blechhhhh.

My dad had one when I was a little kid. He is indeed a high school drop out (though he did eventually get his GED).  :lol:

If I had a big enough garage and enough free time to maintain it I'd enjoy having one just for the nostalgia factor alone.  :praise:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2020, 11:27:45 AM

Not Monte Carlos?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 01, 2020, 12:29:45 PM
Shut yo face :heated:

Hey, I actually like both; wobbly chassis, brittle plastic, dead steering and all.

But ya gotta admit, there's a type they're associated with...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Most positive thing about these cars is they can be crushed and recycled.  It's all about the environmentalism.
:rastaman:

Laconian

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 01, 2020, 02:18:19 PM
195hp from 5 liters
190hp from 1.5 in my grocery getter CR-V

Yes,  it also means any number of bolt-in 400 HP crate V8s are available for it with next to no fabrication needed.

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 01, 2020, 01:58:42 PM
Teal Irocs were the cars for the echo mullet set.
Having not had a haircut for about 6 months, I've got the mullet to go with it. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

I loved the IROC-Z when I was in high school.  High school kids who owned one weren't white trash though.  White trash kids walked or rode BMX bikes to school because they couldn't afford a car or if they had one, it was a 10 to 20 year old clunker sometimes with a rear bumper made of wood. 

A high school kid who drove an IROC-Z was an upper middle class white kid who was probably a jock. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on September 02, 2020, 09:43:38 AM
I loved the IROC-Z when I was in high school.  High school kids who owned one weren't white trash though.  White trash kids walked or rode BMX bikes to school because they couldn't afford a car or if they had one, it was a 10 to 20 year old clunker sometimes with a rear bumper made of wood. 

A high school kid who drove an IROC-Z was an upper middle class white kid who was probably a jock.

+1
and the trash kids who were drug dealers could at least afford a rusty Chrysler K car or Ford Tempo.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: veeman on September 02, 2020, 09:43:38 AM

WORD!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide