My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

cawimmer430

Jesus Christ, you just got a new car and are already taking it apart? That German POS will fall apart soon enough! You don't have to do anything!  :evildude:  :lol:

Just kidding of course!  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

G37x has a space saver spare from the factory. As long as the overall diameter is equivalent to the other tires, it's not a problem to get on down the road to a tire shop (for the drive train - such a spare is to be used for very few miles).

CaminoRacer

Locked center console to get through customs? Sounds like a load of nonsense
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Wait, what? They bolted the center console shut?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 20, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
G37x has a space saver spare from the factory. As long as the overall diameter is equivalent to the other tires, it's not a problem to get on down the road to a tire shop (for the drive train - such a spare is to be used for very few miles).

Many space savers are not the same overall OD as the main tires.  Also, the G has open diffs front and rear, which are far more tolerant to a mis-matched wheel diameter than limited slip diffs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Good luck with the new set of wheels. :cheers:

What is your top speed so far?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2016, 02:02:32 PM
Locked center console to get through customs? Sounds like a load of nonsense

Yeah, that makes no sense.  Plenty of imported cars with center consoles that can open and close.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Great looking car, love the color. House is looking good too.

Console thing makes no sense, but no big deal I guess now that it's fixed. Am I understanding correct there was no usable center console space without this workaround?  That would suck.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on August 20, 2016, 01:50:12 PM
Is the spare a full size?  I'd be really leery of using a mini-spare on an AWD vehicle.  Bad for the differentials.

Its the same spare used everywhere else in the world. The outside diameter is about the same as a normal wheel/tire but it is much thinner. Its an 18" wheel also so no issues clearing the brakes.

SJ_GTI

I hear you guys in not understanding why it comes locked but this is how every Golf R in North America is sold. Outside North America it comes usable from the factory. I have no idea why they do this for NA cars but i doubt its for cost since they aren't saving any money on parts.  :huh: the spare tire thing on the other hand seems all about cost cutting.

Quote from: Lebowski on August 20, 2016, 02:22:16 PM
Great looking car, love the color. House is looking good too.

Console thing makes no sense, but no big deal I guess now that it's fixed. Am I understanding correct there was no usable center console space without this workaround?  That would suck.

Correct without doing this there is no usable storage between the seats. Doesn't make sense but i found out about the workaround before i bought the car (did a lot of googling and research after test driving but before deciding to buy).

SJ_GTI

Quote from: dazzleman on August 20, 2016, 02:10:31 PM
Good luck with the new set of wheels. :cheers:

What is your top speed so far?

Only 80ish. Don't want to do anything too crazy until the engine is broken in.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 20, 2016, 02:28:57 PM
Its the same spare used everywhere else in the world. The outside diameter is about the same as a normal wheel/tire but it is much thinner. Its an 18" wheel also so no issues clearing the brakes.

Should work great, then. Except your lap times will be 2 seconds slower with all that extra weight!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2016, 03:41:03 PM
Should work great, then. Except your lap times will be 2 seconds slower with all that extra weight!

Don't forget all that extra weight from all the shit he can put in his center console now that he's unlocked it. :rolleyes:

:devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

My new car present to you. Older VW but still great:

HTTP://youtu.be/9jOPhmr497I
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

dazzleman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 20, 2016, 02:52:19 PM
Only 80ish. Don't want to do anything too crazy until the engine is broken in.

Understood.  Have fun with the new wheels, man!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

veeman

Congratulations!!  Love the color.  Love the look of the dash too...it's appearance is very similar to my Beetles.  Damn, those are some low profile tires.

Laconian

Adaptive cruise is the shiznit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 20, 2016, 02:36:45 PM

I hear you guys in not understanding why it comes locked but this is how every Golf R in North America is sold. Outside North America it comes usable from the factory. I have no idea why they do this for NA cars but i doubt its for cost since they aren't saving any money on parts.  :huh: the spare tire thing on the other hand seems all about cost cutting.

But afaik no other imported car with a center console (which is pretty much all cars) does this. Not saying it's cost cutting, but it's very strange.

GoCougs

The scuttlebutt is it's a safety issue. According to the powers that be in the USA, the design of the lid could cause it to flip open in a rollover and apparently take an arm off or something.

12,000 RPM

Lulz @ them bolting a center console shut, but proudly pumping out carcinogens guaranteed to do people harm. Oh VW

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2016, 09:03:47 AM
The scuttlebutt is it's a safety issue. According to the powers that be in the USA, the design of the lid could cause it to flip open in a rollover and apparently take an arm off or something.

I wouldn't blame them (VW).  The legal liability system is so so very fucked up here. 

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 20, 2016, 01:50:12 PM
Is the spare a full size?  I'd be really leery of using a mini-spare on an AWD vehicle.  Bad for the differentials.

Quote from: MX793 on August 20, 2016, 02:10:21 PM
Many space savers are not the same overall OD as the main tires.  Also, the G has open diffs front and rear, which are far more tolerant to a mis-matched wheel diameter than limited slip diffs.

So which is it ;)

Space-saving spares are not radials and they run at high pressure (like 60 psi), which means they have very little sidewall give. So a spare that has specs that make it seem a bit small is actually equivalent in OD to the factory radial tire since radials have a decent amount of sidewall give. If the space-saving spare came from the factory, and the car has factory-size (OD) tires on it, it will be fine if operated properly (space-saving spares have very limited life and speed, but then again that's not due to OD).

Cars with LSDs and locking transfer cases (WRX STi, Evo) come with space-saving spares from the factory.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2016, 10:11:24 AM
So which is it ;)

Space-saving spares are not radials and they run at high pressure (like 60 psi), which means they have very little sidewall give. So a spare that has specs that make it seem a bit small is actually equivalent in OD to the factory radial tire since radials have a decent amount of sidewall give. If the space-saving spare came from the factory, and the car has factory-size (OD) tires on it, it will be fine if operated properly (space-saving spares have very limited life and speed, but then again that's not due to OD).

Cars with LSDs and locking transfer cases (WRX STi, Evo) come with space-saving spares from the factory.

The last car I had with a space saver was my Mazda, and that spare was inches smaller in OD than the factory tire.  Saw a newer Charger rolling on a spare yesterday and that spare was multiple inches smaller in diameter than the other tires.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

A grossly mismatched spare tire will be tough on any drive train, plus if the difference is "inches" you'd run into all sorts of problems from steering to traction to risking breaking the bead. And really, it's no hard for a manufacture to spec an appropriately-sized spare.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2016, 09:03:47 AM

My A4 had essentially the same center console arm rest (ratcheting and all) and it wasn't locked.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 21, 2016, 11:12:15 AM
My A4 had essentially the same center console arm rest (ratcheting and all) and it wasn't locked.

S4 had something similar. The underlying mechanism might be different though.

But again there had to be a reason. Doing what they (VW) did only added cost/complexity. In any event the fix was pretty simple and it feels completely OEM. It has a nice resistance to movement so you can leave it open and it won't close on its own.

veeman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 21, 2016, 12:32:59 PM
S4 had something similar. The underlying mechanism might be different though.

But again there had to be a reason. Doing what they (VW) did only added cost/complexity. In any event the fix was pretty simple and it feels completely OEM. It has a nice resistance to movement so you can leave it open and it won't close on its own.

If you ever flip (literally) in your car, make sure you keep your arm out of the way of the center console.  On second thought, make sure your arm is in the way so that you can successfully sue VW for a million dollars for having the center console lid bruise your arm.  VW should have been aware, as per multiple blogs on VW forums on the subject, that the center console could be easily tampered with to allow it to be opened and thereby subvert their lock out of it.  VW should have done a recall to prevent easy tampering of the locked out center console.  Poor design followed by an equally poor, easily overcome, lock out remedy.

Fuck our jury system here. 

SJ_GTI

So yesterday (Sunday) I decided to give the car a quick handwash. I had put almost 250 miles on the car in just a couple of days (the drive back from the dealer was about 100 miles FWIW).  :lol: The car is so much smaller than the S4 that it only took me a couple minutes. I felt like I should probably give it another wash just to make it feel like I put some effort it.

I also took the car to get its first fill up (the dealer sold it to me with a full tank). For my first tank I averaged 22.1 MPG. Not bad IMHO. I had been averaging around ~19 MPG on my S4 (short commute + AC). Will be curious to see what the Golf R gets during my normal commuting route over a couple of weeks. I am hoping it can do better than me S4, but its such a short drive (<6 miles each way) that I don't think any (fun) car will get good mileage.

AutobahnSHO

Congrats!!  (A few days late)

Hatches are teh bomb, and those wheels are cool. (like that blue!)
Will

Rich

What color is that?  Some kind of grey with a bit of blue in it?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT