My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Rich on August 22, 2016, 07:58:43 AM
What color is that?  Some kind of grey with a bit of blue in it?

Are you talking about my car?  :confused:

Its not grey. Its a dark blue color. Sitting next to my S4 it seemed like it had a slight purple tint to it. The official/VW name is Lapiz Blue.

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 22, 2016, 08:12:29 AM
Are you talking about my car?  :confused:

Its not grey. Its a dark blue color. Sitting next to my S4 it seemed like it had a slight purple tint to it. The official/VW name is Lapiz Blue.

hmmm looks more like a grey/purple mix with a hint of blue to me
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

Does this really belong in Luxury Talk?

:lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on August 22, 2016, 08:40:50 AM
Does this really belong in Luxury Talk?

:lol:

Probably not now that you mention it.  :lol: I am so used to posting in this section because of my S4 (and most of the other cars I was considering as replacement - S3, 2-series, 3-series - would have made sense here) it never occurred to me to post it somewhere else.

If any mods want to move this thread to mainstreamers I am Ok with that.  :ohyeah:

12,000 RPM

I wanted to make the same joke but I thought it was too soon :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

It may not belong in Luxury Talk but it makes the cut for The Fast Lane IMO.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Nah, it should be in Jalopies

#Char

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 22, 2016, 08:55:32 AM
It may not belong in Luxury Talk but it makes the cut for The Fast Lane IMO.

Eh, I think this is a candidate for mainstreamers.  SJ is maturing.

cawimmer430

SJ_GTI,

Some well-meant photographic advice below!  :cheers:

I hope you will change your new signature photo soon! From a photography POV the car is crammed into the tight frame, the cars in the background are distracting and the direct sunlight messes with the design by hiding detail!

Take a road trip soon (aka "HAVE DRIVING FUN WITH THE CAR") and take some shots in the late afternoon (nice soft light) of your ride in a nice location! Check out the image below (I grabbed it from Google): the car is not crammed into the box and the background and location help the car stand out. Obviously the car in this photo wasn't shot here (it's clearly a studio shot) but you get the idea, hopefully!

Or you can book me and I'll come over and photograph the hell out of your new ride!  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on August 22, 2016, 08:25:11 AM

The light green metallic flakes really make it pop
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Is they gray that you're seeing just the reflection of the clouds off of the paint?

68_427

Same color as Dave's car
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Definitely picking up that slate metallic mixed in. Looks great.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on August 22, 2016, 05:03:34 PM
Same color as Dave's car

And we all know Dave's car is BLACK!!!  :rockon: :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Oh to me it looks dark gray
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

This must be an issue like the blue/black vs white/gold dress issue from a few years back: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/white-gold-dress-heres-science-5241292

To me, it's quite obviously blue. The picture in SJ's sig is pretty dark, so I can see where you guys are saying purple, but even in that picture, the car itself is very not-gray, other than the reflection of the clouds, to me.

The rest of the pictures in the OP leave no doubt that the car itself is blue.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on August 22, 2016, 09:00:05 AM
Nah, it should be in Jalopies

#Char

It's like you're reading my mind.

Those wheels just seem MASSIVE, I agree with the opinion that 18s would fit better. Clean ride though, enjoy.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

I agree that 18s would work better; maybe even 17s. NE roads are brutal

But we will see. Hoping for the best obviously

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 22, 2016, 11:54:34 PM
This must be an issue like the blue/black vs white/gold dress issue from a few years back: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/white-gold-dress-heres-science-5241292

To me, it's quite obviously blue. The picture in SJ's sig is pretty dark, so I can see where you guys are saying purple, but even in that picture, the car itself is very not-gray, other than the reflection of the clouds, to me.

The rest of the pictures in the OP leave no doubt that the car itself is blue.

:thatsthejoke:
:ducks:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

I don't see going to smaller wheels. Driving in comfort mode is reasonably soft (I actually prefer normal or sport to comfort) as is. Plan right now is to buy winter tires to put on to these stock wheels and then find a set of nice aftermarket wheels for summer tires. I like the BBS (CH) wheels, but oddly enough they don't seem to make wheels with the right offset to fit so I may go with something else (Enkei, Nuespeed, etc...) but I will see what's available after the winter.

GoCougs

Can you feel the AWD system shove power around, esp. to the rear?

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 23, 2016, 08:45:04 AM
I don't see going to smaller wheels. Driving in comfort mode is reasonably soft (I actually prefer normal or sport to comfort) as is. Plan right now is to buy winter tires to put on to these stock wheels and then find a set of nice aftermarket wheels for summer tires. I like the BBS (CH) wheels, but oddly enough they don't seem to make wheels with the right offset to fit so I may go with something else (Enkei, Nuespeed, etc...) but I will see what's available after the winter.

Smaller wheels are less about ride comfort and more about not busting rims on large potholes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2016, 10:42:19 AM
Can you feel the AWD system shove power around, esp. to the rear?

Not really, but at the same time I have not felt any wheel spin at all. Until I break it in I don't think I am going to try anything too crazy.

FWIW on my S4, which normally sent 60% of the power to the rear wheels, I couldn't really tell where the power was going except in the snow/ice. It normally would just go where ever I pointed it. In the snow of course the RWD bias became obvious. I doubt I will feel anything like that on the R though. If I understand correctly it can only send a maximum of 50% of the power to the rear so I don't think I would ever "feel" any power going to the rear.

GoCougs

I've seen comments about feeling power sent to the rear. That is one thing Infiniti's ATTESA is fantastic at - I cannot discern power being routed around - not in the dry, wet, snow or gravel - and I've tried plenty of times. I can only "tell" via the flashing traction control light in the dash.

AutobahnSHO

I could never tell on my Legacy where power was going.
Will

MX793

ATTESA and Subaru's AWD system put power to all 4 wheels at all times.  Haldex doesn't in all cases.  IIRC, Haldex in the Golf R will decouple the rear axle under normal cruising.  Having power go from zero to something may be more detectable than having it change from something to something.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on August 23, 2016, 12:19:20 PM
ATTESA and Subaru's AWD system put power to all 4 wheels at all times.  Haldex doesn't in all cases.  IIRC, Haldex in the Golf R will decouple the rear axle under normal cruising.  Having power go from zero to something may be more detectable than having it change from something to something.

Interesting. I assume the system is chasing better gas mileage?
Will

MrH

Really depends on the car.  I could feel it shuffle power around in my Element, but it was really quick.  A split second of wheel spin, then boom, power is shifted and it went.  My friend's VR6 R32 was so fast it was hard to even tell.  I can only imagine the latest haldex is even better.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 23, 2016, 12:26:37 PM
Interesting. I assume the system is chasing better gas mileage?
Yep, that's exactly what it's for.

I don't think SJ will notice. Feeling the power move around = real hamfisted, at the limit stuff.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 23, 2016, 12:19:20 PM

ATTESA E-TS (higher-po version in the G, Q, etc.) is a not a full-time AWD system - it sends 100% to the rear until needed elsewhere.

The Nissan system uses a traditional transfer case (bolted to the rear of the transmission) with a separate drive shaft running to a separate front diff. AFAIK it is unique for a modern car.