My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 19, 2019, 08:17:50 PM
Even with my short tenures I still manage to put more miles on my cars than you guys

I drive about 20-22K miles a year. ~85 miles a day with the gym and day care

22k miles? Gaia wept. Move your ass closer to work.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2019, 09:55:04 PM
22k miles? Gaia wept. Move your ass closer to work.

Well the main issue is wifey's job and my job are about 45 miles apart. But since I drive against traffic both ways it takes me the same amount of time (and probably gas) to cover twice the distance. Plus we like our neighborhood; daycare is like 5 minutes away etc. I just happen to work in the middle of nowhere... if I had a job downtown we'd probably commute together.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

I'm well over 20k/year :cry:  I'll probably be closer 22k for the Accord, and another 4k for the S2000, something like that.

16,500/year just for work and back every day.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

In traffic too? God bless you.

My commute is 35 miles each way, but in the mornings I can usually do that in about 30-32 minutes.

CaminoRacer

I think my commute is now just 4800 miles/year. So I'm probably driving 8-10k miles a year total
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 20, 2019, 09:31:13 AM
In traffic too? God bless you.

My commute is 35 miles each way, but in the mornings I can usually do that in about 30-32 minutes.

Yeah, traffic too.  Not too bad though.  I'm basically going from the south of one city to the north of another. I'm 33 miles each way, 45-60 minutes.  Unless there's an accident.  This morning was like 1:25 or so :facepalm:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Gross. Ten minute commute for me, about 4 miles?..
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 20, 2019, 12:05:19 PM

Bicycle?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 19, 2019, 09:49:05 AM
16,500 miles in 3 years? :wtf:

That's more than I drive now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

My car has about 38,000 miles after 5 years and 8 months.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

BimmerM3

Yeah that sounds terrible. On a bad day, that's like 15-20% of your waking hours.

MX793

I used to commute 110 miles around trip every day.  Took just under an hour each way unless there was major road construction.  There were a few times it took me 2.5-3 hours to get home because of construction .  My alternate route to miss the construction added close to half an hour,  but that only lasted for a month or so.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

I used to have a long commute, like an hour each way minimum, and I just can't do it anymore.  Imo, its not worth it.  My commute now is anywhere from 15/20 minutes (If I bike/Uber/drive in) to at most 40 minutes (if I take the bus to the train).  When I look to buy my next place I will be actively looking for something close to the train so I can cut that down further if I need to take public transit.  Long commutes are just so damn depressing and feels like you're draining your life away sitting in traffic and I'm glad I no longer have to deal with them. 

dazzleman

Quote from: Xer0 on August 20, 2019, 01:58:19 PM
I used to have a long commute, like an hour each way minimum, and I just can't do it anymore.  Imo, its not worth it.  My commute now is anywhere from 15/20 minutes (If I bike/Uber/drive in) to at most 40 minutes (if I take the bus to the train).  When I look to buy my next place I will be actively looking for something close to the train so I can cut that down further if I need to take public transit.  Long commutes are just so damn depressing and feels like you're draining your life away sitting in traffic and I'm glad I no longer have to deal with them.

I've had terrible commutes my whole career.  It's pretty much a feature of working in New York.  But it's primarily on a commuter train, which is usually reasonable comfortable and allows me to read, sleep, etc.  That same commute driving would be unbearable.  Getting rid of the commute is one reason I really want to retire.  I've had it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

Yup. I did a 1 to 1.5 hour each way commute for a year and that was enough for me. Now it's 18-20 minutes each way.

giant_mtb

Apartment to the shop is 1.1 miles.

BimmerM3

Bed to desk is about 20 feet. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 20, 2019, 03:40:41 PM
Bed to desk is about 20 feet. :lol:

Yeah but my office has a ping pong table, EV chargers, and a gym in the basement. :rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

Bed to toilet is about 25 feet
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

I enjoy my 1 hr commute each way back and forth to work.  I haven't read a book outside of my career field in over 20 years but manage about 5 or 6 audiobooks a year only listening when I drive.  I also make most of my phone calls to my friends and family outside my wife and kids when I drive.  A few NPR shows I also enjoy like "the moth".  I usually work the night shift though so my hours are weird (leave at 8 pm and come back home at 8 am) but they're very variable and sometimes I work day shifts as well.  I just like to drive though.  When driving interstate with my family late at night when everyone in the car but me is asleep, I also get this warm fuzzy feeling of dadhood.  I'll turn on some inane sports talk radio show and feel, well, life can't get much better than this.  I think I might get that from my own Dad.  When he was younger, he used to love to drive.  We once drove from Chicago to Dallas in a day. 

I also know I would go nuts if I had to work from home.  I'm very very unproductive at home.  Too many distractions.  At work I'm focused at what I have to get done in a certain allotted period.  At home, I'll leave my office to get a cup of coffee and one day thing leads to another to another, and I don't enter my office again for another half hour. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 20, 2019, 10:52:27 PM
I enjoy my 1 hr commute each way back and forth to work.  I haven't read a book outside of my career field in over 20 years but manage about 5 or 6 audiobooks a year only listening when I drive.  I also make most of my phone calls to my friends and family outside my wife and kids when I drive.  A few NPR shows I also enjoy like "the moth".  I usually work the night shift though so my hours are weird (leave at 8 pm and come back home at 8 am) but they're very variable and sometimes I work day shifts as well.  I just like to drive though.  When driving interstate with my family late at night when everyone in the car but me is asleep, I also get this warm fuzzy feeling of dadhood.  I'll turn on some inane sports talk radio show and feel, well, life can't get much better than this.  I think I might get that from my own Dad.  When he was younger, he used to love to drive.  We once drove from Chicago to Dallas in a day. 

I also know I would go nuts if I had to work from home.  I'm very very unproductive at home.  Too many distractions.  At work I'm focused at what I have to get done in a certain allotted period.  At home, I'll leave my office to get a cup of coffee and one day thing leads to another to another, and I don't enter my office again for another half hour.

This is a good way of looking at it.  You are fortunate in a way to work non-traditional hours, which probably greatly increases the quality of your drive.  I find that a good quality drive (light traffic, ability to drive fast without obstructions) puts me on a natural high, while a fight through bumper-to-bumper traffic on a regular basis is soul crushing.

I mostly agree abut working from home.  I like to do it occasionally, but it wouldn't work for me on a regular basis. I need the discipline and personal contact that comes from the office environment and if I worked from home all the time, I doubt I would be very productive.  I view my home as a place of refuge and relaxation, and work is anything but that.

How many miles per year do you put on your car?

12,000 RPM

I miss my NYC commute. Bike, motorcycle, or worst case scenario, public transit.

I agree though. My commute used to be a lot shittier and it just wore me down and stressed me out.

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on August 21, 2019, 02:43:29 AM
This is a good way of looking at it.  You are fortunate in a way to work non-traditional hours, which probably greatly increases the quality of your drive.  I find that a good quality drive (light traffic, ability to drive fast without obstructions) puts me on a natural high, while a fight through bumper-to-bumper traffic on a regular basis is soul crushing.

I mostly agree abut working from home.  I like to do it occasionally, but it wouldn't work for me on a regular basis. I need the discipline and personal contact that comes from the office environment and if I worked from home all the time, I doubt I would be very productive.  I view my home as a place of refuge and relaxation, and work is anything but that.

How many miles per year do you put on your car?

I put 25,000 miles a year on my commuter car (Crosstrek).  We put 20,000 miles a year on my wife's commuter car (Infiniti QX56) which is also our family car.  We put 12,000 miles a year on the Camry which the nanny primarily uses to shuttle the kids back and forth to school and afternoon activities. 

Ideally my wife wouldn't drive a 3 row barge to work by herself daily and instead get something more efficient, but with the Connecticut town car tax and insurance costs, it's much cheaper than getting a 4th car.  I love driving the Infiniti on long trips. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 21, 2019, 07:53:23 AM
I put 25,000 miles a year on my commuter car (Crosstrek).  We put 20,000 miles a year on my wife's commuter car (Infiniti QX56) which is also our family car.  We put 12,000 miles a year on the Camry which the nanny primarily uses to shuttle the kids back and forth to school and afternoon activities. 

Ideally my wife wouldn't drive a 3 row barge to work by herself daily and instead get something more efficient, but with the Connecticut town car tax and insurance costs, it's much cheaper than getting a 4th car.  I love driving the Infiniti on long trips.

A nice long drive at high speed puts me on such a natural high.  I get to do that so seldom, but when I do, it's fantastic.  My drive back from Boston in early June was the last such time.  I did the 160 miles in exactly 2 hours, and the early part of the drive was even better than the average.

I imagine the Infiniti would be very nice on that sort of drive.

Morris Minor

I have a 30-mile each way commute, three days per week. The other two days work in my home office (docking station, two monitors, headset & a softphone)
The drive is okay: half of it's on cruise control and the rest is reasonable traffic. I listen to Audible books - which I love to do.
I could easily work from home five days per week - but custom & tradition means putting in face time.

My wife works from home - she has an office too.

(As long as our Internet connection is good, we're good for generating revenue, which is why I obsess about getting everything under my control on the home network is as good as I can get it.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: dazzleman on August 21, 2019, 09:16:31 AM
A nice long drive at high speed puts me on such a natural high.  I get to do that so seldom, but when I do, it's fantastic.  My drive back from Boston in early June was the last such time.  I did the 160 miles in exactly 2 hours, and the early part of the drive was even better than the average.

Tomorrow I'm driving from SLC to the Bay Area in the El Camino. 12 hours of desert driving in the middle of nowhere. Feel free to fly out here and drive for me

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:35:20 AM
Tomorrow I'm driving from SLC to the Bay Area in the El Camino. 12 hours of desert driving in the middle of nowhere. Feel free to fly out here and drive for me
Buy me a ticket and I'll do it.  Likely do the trip in 6 to 8 hours. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 09:38:05 AM
Buy me a ticket and I'll do it.  Likely do the trip in 6 to 8 hours. :ohyeah:

Well the faster you drive, the more often you have to stop for gas. Not sure what the trade off in time is :lol:

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on August 21, 2019, 09:16:31 AM

Yeah I love long drives with light traffic or no traffic in a big comfy silent car.  The scenery from Connecticut to Boston isn't that great but that's OK.  From Connecticut to Vermont/New Hampshire or through Pennsylvania is beautiful.  Out West it's a whole other level of beauty. 

Aggressive driving in a barge isn't like an Audi sedan though plus my wife usually doesn't like it if I speed so I usually keep it under 80 mph.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 20, 2019, 12:09:55 PM
Bicycle?

Virginia traffic. It's literally all 35mph speed limit with a light, followed by a spot where a cop has been camping, another light, two more lights, ID check, golf course on both sides, light. The lights here take FOREVER because they're on timers not sensors, they want to push as many people through per cycle as they can. THEN because of that, everyone is on their phone so probably a 20-30% reduction in how many people get through the light because they don't go right away when it turns green... 
Will