My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on August 21, 2019, 09:16:31 AM
A nice long drive at high speed puts me on such a natural high.  I get to do that so seldom, but when I do, it's fantastic.  My drive back from Boston in early June was the last such time.  I did the 160 miles in exactly 2 hours, and the early part of the drive was even better than the average.

I imagine the Infiniti would be very nice on that sort of drive.

It's just pleasant. Esp in the right car. I've gone up and down the Masspike like 6x over the past few months and it's such an easy road to fly down

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 21, 2019, 05:58:51 PM
Virginia traffic. It's literally all 35mph speed limit with a light, followed by a spot where a cop has been camping, another light, two more lights, ID check, golf course on both sides, light. The lights here take FOREVER because they're on timers not sensors, they want to push as many people through per cycle as they can. THEN because of that, everyone is on their phone so probably a 20-30% reduction in how many people get through the light because they don't go right away when it turns green...

/wrists
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2019, 07:04:00 PM
/wrists

whut

1- own 2 of 3 automatic transmission cars
2- choose to drive the stickshift every day
3- win
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:35:20 AM
Tomorrow I'm driving from SLC to the Bay Area in the El Camino. 12 hours of desert driving in the middle of nowhere. Feel free to fly out here and drive for me

I would love to drive at least part of it if I could!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 21, 2019, 06:26:38 PM
It's just pleasant. Esp in the right car. I've gone up and down the Masspike like 6x over the past few months and it's such an easy road to fly down

Driving home from Boston in June, that was the best part of my drive.  I left super early so there was almost nobody on the road.  I was at 90-95 a decent part of the time and 85-90 most of the rest.  I almost got nailed in Charlton just before I got off for I-84 but managed to slip through the net.  Had a statie right behind me and thought he would pull me over, but he didn't for some reason.  That just made it more fun. .. :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 21, 2019, 04:53:14 PM
Yeah I love long drives with light traffic or no traffic in a big comfy silent car.  The scenery from Connecticut to Boston isn't that great but that's OK.  From Connecticut to Vermont/New Hampshire or through Pennsylvania is beautiful.  Out West it's a whole other level of beauty. 

Aggressive driving in a barge isn't like an Audi sedan though plus my wife usually doesn't like it if I speed so I usually keep it under 80 mph.

I imagine your wife has saved you a lot of money in speeding fines... :lol:  Do you find you drive noticeably faster when she is not in the car?

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 12:33:55 AM
I imagine your wife has saved you a lot of money in speeding fines... :lol:  Do you find you drive noticeably faster when she is not in the car?

I'm sure she's saved my ass a few times.  Definitely drive more aggressive when she's not in the car.  A bit faster but mostly more aggressive in terms of accelerating faster (not top speed) and taking tighter turns.  Not so much in the big SUV though.

My last two cars (Current Crosstrek and Diesel Beetle) have been relatively underpowered stick shift cars.  Because they're underpowered, I can pedal to the metal but still be legal and the car won't get away from me. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 22, 2019, 02:40:16 AM
I'm sure she's saved my ass a few times.  Definitely drive more aggressive when she's not in the car.  A bit faster but mostly more aggressive in terms of accelerating faster (not top speed) and taking tighter turns.  Not so much in the big SUV though.

My last two cars (Current Crosstrek and Diesel Beetle) have been relatively underpowered stick shift cars.  Because they're underpowered, I can pedal to the metal but still be legal and the car won't get away from me.

I've always noticed that,  in general, female passengers usually calm the driving habits of male drivers, while male passengers sometimes do the opposite.  I driven faster and more aggressively with certain male friends in the car (others not) and usually do the opposite with most female passengers.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 03:05:45 AM
I've always noticed that,  in general, female passengers usually calm the driving habits of male drivers, while male passengers sometimes do the opposite.  I driven faster and more aggressively with certain male friends in the car (others not) and usually do the opposite with most female passengers.
My wife is the opposite, very impatient.  She always complains when she sees someone going faster, "Why are you going so slow?" or brags "If I was driving, we'd be there half an hour ago."  I'm often tempted to drive like a maniac just to see how she would react, but I like to drive safely unless I'm alone in the car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 03:05:45 AM

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 22, 2019, 08:56:13 AM
My wife is the opposite, very impatient.  She always complains when she sees someone going faster, "Why are you going so slow?" or brags "If I was driving, we'd be there half an hour ago."  I'm often tempted to drive like a maniac just to see how she would react, but I like to drive safely unless I'm alone in the car.

When I was a teenager and I had some friends in my car I did a few dumbass things which luckily I got away with.  I once passed a car over a train track and got a few inches of air.  That was such a dumbass thing to do.  I spun out a few times in my early twenties because I had mismatched tires, not properly inflated, and was driving to fast on wet roads. 

For last twenty years I'm much more cognizant of responsibility/mortality and don't do stupid driving.  I think I've found a sweet spot of underpowered shift yourself cars where you can drive a little aggressively but still keep things safe and in legal speeds. 

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 22, 2019, 08:56:13 AM

Give the maniac driving thing a shot and see how she reacts... :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on August 22, 2019, 01:26:02 PM
When I was a teenager and I had some friends in my car I did a few dumbass things which luckily I got away with.  I once passed a car over a train track and got a few inches of air.  That was such a dumbass thing to do.  I spun out a few times in my early twenties because I had mismatched tires, not properly inflated, and was driving to fast on wet roads. 

For last twenty years I'm much more cognizant of responsibility/mortality and don't do stupid driving.  I think I've found a sweet spot of underpowered shift yourself cars where you can drive a little aggressively but still keep things safe and in legal speeds. 
Sounds a bit like my driving history, spin outs, taking a bit of air.  The most fun was stoplight races with overpowered and under-handling cars.  I did eventually learn, after a few minor accidents, not my fault, that defensive driving was the way to go.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 04:52:55 PM
Give the maniac driving thing a shot and see how she reacts... :lol:
I'm really tempted. :evildude:

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 22, 2019, 01:26:02 PM

But do you drive the same regardless of who is in the car with you?  If you have a dude friend with you, do you accelerate a bit faster and take the turns a bit faster than you would with your mother in law in the car?  I'm well past the crazy stuff too but my driving does change to a degree depending on who the passenger is.

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 22, 2019, 04:54:38 PM
I'm really tempted. :evildude:

The best way is to simulate danger and defiance of the law without doing anything truly dangerous.  Small risks can sometimes bring big rewards in terms of the rush you get from defying rules and courting danger.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 04:57:24 PM
The best way is to simulate danger and defiance of the law without doing anything truly dangerous.  Small risks can sometimes bring big rewards in terms of the rush you get from defying rules and courting danger.
I'll try to think of something.  We're due for a new car in a few months.  Maybe I'll arrange for a test drive in a gt 350 and and put it through it's paces.  Smoke the tires a bit, maybe look for a Camaro to race. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 22, 2019, 05:13:48 PM
I'll try to think of something.  We're due for a new car in a few months.  Maybe I'll arrange for a test drive in a gt 350 and and put it through it's paces.  Smoke the tires a bit, maybe look for a Camaro to race. :lol:

:lol:
One thing that has really surprised me is that I have never outgrown my love of defying rules and encountering a little bit of danger.   Even as a teenager, I was always pretty small time in this area.  I was willing to risk minor to moderate penalties if caught, but not major ones.  That holds true today too - I am happy to risk a hefty fine for some fun driving but not handcuffs.   :evildude:

I've always been pretty calculating, wanting to know the potential penalty if caught before deciding whether to have some fun by breaking a rule.

NomisR

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 05:22:02 PM
:lol:
One thing that has really surprised me is that I have never outgrown my love of defying rules and encountering a little bit of danger.   Even as a teenager, I was always pretty small time in this area.  I was willing to risk minor to moderate penalties if caught, but not major ones.  That holds true today too - I am happy to risk a hefty fine for some fun driving but not handcuffs.   :evildude:

I've always been pretty calculating, wanting to know the potential penalty if caught before deciding whether to have some fun by breaking a rule.

I'm picturing your idea of breaking the rules as taking the tags off of pillows.  :lol:

BimmerM3

Unless I know that my passengers are cool with aggressive driving, I tend to tone it down a little for any passenger. That said, I probably know more men who are cool with aggressive driving than women.

Overall though, my driving behavior depends a lot more on Explorer vs S2000 than it does on passengers. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: NomisR on August 22, 2019, 05:56:49 PM
I'm picturing your idea of breaking the rules as taking the tags off of pillows.  :lol:

Or mattresses.   That's even worse.  :evildude:

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 22, 2019, 06:19:12 PM
Unless I know that my passengers are cool with aggressive driving, I tend to tone it down a little for any passenger. That said, I probably know more men who are cool with aggressive driving than women.

Overall though, my driving behavior depends a lot more on Explorer vs S2000 than it does on passengers. :lol:

That makes sense.

CaminoRacer

Just FYI Dave, this drive through Nevada SUCKS. Not really fun open desert road, just boringness. It'd be fun for an hour, but it takes like 5 hours.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 22, 2019, 06:42:05 PM
Just FYI Dave, this drive through Nevada SUCKS. Not really fun open desert road, just boringness. It'd be fun for an hour, but it takes like 5 hours.

It may be too much of a good thing, I guess.   Are you able to drive reasonably fast?

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2019, 04:55:14 PM
But do you drive the same regardless of who is in the car with you?  If you have a dude friend with you, do you accelerate a bit faster and take the turns a bit faster than you would with your mother in law in the car?  I'm well past the crazy stuff too but my driving does change to a degree depending on who the passenger is.

Never thought about it but here goes.  5 point scale, 5 being most aggressive shifting fast, pedal to the metal, fast turns and 1 being least aggressive.

5 - driving solo late night.
4 - driving solo the rest of the time
3 - driving with my kids without my wife, driving with one of my brother in laws, driving with a male cousin, driving with a male friend
2- driving with my wife, her parents, my parents, or any female extended family member.
1 - driving with a work colleague (boss, equal rank, or underling), driving with one of my kid's friends in the car, driving with our nanny.

Yeah you're right, I drive more aggressive with male friends or family members (outside my parents or in laws) than with females in the car.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on August 22, 2019, 10:42:49 PM
Never thought about it but here goes.  5 point scale, 5 being most aggressive shifting fast, pedal to the metal, fast turns and 1 being least aggressive.

5 - driving solo late night.
4 - driving solo the rest of the time
3 - driving with my kids without my wife, driving with one of my brother in laws, driving with a male cousin, driving with a male friend
2- driving with my wife, her parents, my parents, or any female extended family member.
1 - driving with a work colleague (boss, equal rank, or underling), driving with one of my kid's friends in the car, driving with our nanny.

Yeah you're right, I drive more aggressive with male friends or family members (outside my parents or in laws) than with females in the car.

I think that's pretty typical.  I also drive the fastest/most aggressively when solo in the car, but I have some male friends who inspire me to drive as fast/aggressively as I would when solo (others not).  So for me, it depends on the person too and what I know of their own driving styles and preferences.

MrH

I drive fastest with my employees in the car :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on August 23, 2019, 08:27:45 AM

Why is that?

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 23, 2019, 08:27:45 AM

I can't because most of those times is with a company car.. 65mph is the limit...

dazzleman

Quote from: NomisR on August 23, 2019, 11:35:02 AM
I can't because most of those times is with a company car.. 65mph is the limit...

Is there a governor,  or does the car just monitor what you do and report back?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2019, 04:34:07 PM
Is there a governor,  or does the car just monitor what you do and report back?

I would top the car out just to get called into the safety office and find out how fast I went. :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)