My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 23, 2019, 05:11:50 PM
I would top the car out just to get called into the safety office and find out how fast I went. :devil:

:lol: Troublemaker.

That reminds me of when they put warning signs along the road telling you how fast you are going.  I usually speed up for them because I want to see the speed shoot up and start blinking.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on August 24, 2019, 03:07:28 AM
:lol: Troublemaker.

That reminds me of when they put warning signs along the road telling you how fast you are going.  I usually speed up for them because I want to see the speed shoot up and start blinking.

I pass one on the way to work every day, but despite my best efforts, it never reads higher than 70. It's like they think nobody would dare go faster than that. :nutty:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2019, 04:34:07 PM
Is there a governor,  or does the car just monitor what you do and report back?

Just because it's a car with city logo and department badging on it and I don't want to get in trouble for people complaining that I was speeding on something.  There's nothing as far as I know to actually monitor that stuff.

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on August 24, 2019, 10:12:18 AM
Just because it's a car with city logo and department badging on it and I don't want to get in trouble for people complaining that I was speeding on something.  There's nothing as far as I know to actually monitor that stuff.
Is there a sticker on the back that says something to the effect...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 24, 2019, 10:37:04 AM
Is there a sticker on the back that says something to the effect...

I want to get one that says, "HOW'S MY DRIVING?  TEXT 'DRIVING REPORT FOR UNIT #29A.7710.337-Vjj' TO 1-900-429-5683
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2019, 11:01:39 AM
Why is that?

Manage through fear!

No, I really don't drive any faster with them.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Hit the first issue with my Golf this morning. Got in this morning to drive to work, everything came on like normal when I unlocked the car and got in, then when I hit the start button everything died at once. Anyway since I was trying to go to work I just got in to my Z3 and went to work for now.

Car is out of warranty so I am not planning on taking it to the dealer. At lunch I am going to head home and see if I can jump the car (I have one of the portable car jump battery things). I am assuming I will have to get the car towed, but I would at least like to get it in to neutral (electronic parking brake) and/or outside my garage.

I am curious to see if it is a dead battery, bad alternator, or something worse. Car is almost 4 years old so I am hoping to keep it a couple more years before trading it in.

FoMoJo

That doesn't sound good.  Hopefully, it's just the battery.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

TBR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 19, 2020, 08:59:46 AM
Bump...

Hit the first issue with my Golf this morning. Got in this morning to drive to work, everything came on like normal when I unlocked the car and got in, then when I hit the start button everything died at once. Anyway since I was trying to go to work I just got in to my Z3 and went to work for now.

Car is out of warranty so I am not planning on taking it to the dealer. At lunch I am going to head home and see if I can jump the car (I have one of the portable car jump battery things). I am assuming I will have to get the car towed, but I would at least like to get it in to neutral (electronic parking brake) and/or outside my garage.

I am curious to see if it is a dead battery, bad alternator, or something worse. Car is almost 4 years old so I am hoping to keep it a couple more years before trading it in.

If it's the original battery then it's probably due to be replaced. That's my bet.

MX793

Quote from: TBR on May 19, 2020, 12:26:52 PM
If it's the original battery then it's probably due to be replaced. That's my bet.

Possibly.  My Mustang gives a low battery warning on the dash if you try to start it and there's not enough juice.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

It sounds like a flat battery to me. The current draw from the starter sucks away all the juice when you activate it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

We had a battery scare a few weeks ago with old minivan- it had sat for 3-4+ weeks but after jumping it discovered an overhead light was left on. It seems to be ok now.
Will

shp4man

Modern cars get really weird when the voltage goes below about 9 volts. Module communication faults, shit goes nuts.
Not like the old cars.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on May 19, 2020, 12:26:52 PM

You win the bet.  :lol:

yeah it was a bad/dead battery. When I went home at lunch I was able to jump start the car no problem and it would run fine, but the battery wasn't holding any charge (when I turned the car off it would do the same thing again...everything went dead as soon as I hit the start button).

I jumped it again and drove it to the shop my dad used to work at (dad's friend is the owner). They checked it and, if I understood correctly, while the car was running everything was charging up right, but as soon as the car was turned off the battery would be dead. Anyway they put in a new battery and it has been fine since.

SJ_GTI

PS. Mileage hit 19,650 on the drive back from the shop will probably hit 20,000 some time next month, but probably won't get to 21,000 before I hit four years (mid-August).

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Officially past the 4 year mark. Mileage is 20,520. No nothing gone wrong since the battery replacement.

Still satisfied overall with the car, can't see myself trading it in anytime soon.

CaminoRacer

I have an extra Optima battery you could use to turn this thing into a real racecar.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Officially past 5 years, mileage is at 25,017 as of this morning. No new issues in the last year.

The longest I've ever kept a car was my Audi S4 at 6 years, so based on how things are going I will keep this car as long and probably longer. Right now I don't see an obviously better car for my tastes on the market.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 26, 2021, 12:42:04 PM
Bump...

Officially past 5 years, mileage is at 25,017 as of this morning. No new issues in the last year.

The longest I've ever kept a car was my Audi S4 at 6 years, so based on how things are going I will keep this car as long and probably longer. Right now I don't see an obviously better car for my tastes on the market.

Hold on to that internal combustion engined car for as long as possible!!!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 26, 2021, 12:42:04 PM
Bump...

Even quite a bit after you bought the car, you indicated you were not happy with the clutch and I think you said you were thinking about dumping the car.  So you obviously didn't :lol:  Are you happy with it now or do you think if you had to do it all over again, you'd go with the DSG.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on August 27, 2021, 09:16:23 AM
Even quite a bit after you bought the car, you indicated you were not happy with the clutch and I think you said you were thinking about dumping the car.  So you obviously didn't :lol:  Are you happy with it now or do you think if you had to do it all over again, you'd go with the DSG.

Yeah the clutch is still not great. Now that I have the Z3 it feels even worse in comparison.  :lol:

I think personally I'd always go with a manual if its available, but I can understand why someone would get the DSG (even if they preferred manual transmissions generally). For me the overall package (small footprint, hatchback, AWD, good power, nice interior, lots of features, etc...) is nice enough to overlook it though. Actually I am not a fan of the engine type either (small displacement/big turbo), but as far as 2.0T engines go it is about as good as you can get in this format (and there isn't something obviously better on the horizon).

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Car is officially 6 years old. No new issues to report.

The last car I had (Audi S4) was the longest I've owned a car at 6 years, so the Golf is now the oldest. I don't really see anything on the horizon that makes me want to trade it in so I could see it lasting another couple of years.

I have occasionally considered trying to use the crazy car market by selling my car and getting a Subaru WRX. Since I would get the Subaru at an employee price (because my brother works there) I'd wouldn't have to even pay MSRP much less any markups. They also let you take delivery at their head offices, you don't even have to go to a dealer.

But at the end of the day I like having a hatchback (+AWD and +6MT) and don't want a sedan (for now). If/when my car starts to wear down I may not have much choice but I figure I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

SJ_GTI

Another Bump...

I had to order new tires for summer.  Last November one of my tires had a piece of rubber separate from the metal tread underneath. It was already cold out (I think it was the weekend before Thanksgiving) so at the time I just switched over to my winter wheels/tires.

I ended up ordering all-season tires instead of summer tires, although the supposedly "ultra high performance" all seasons. I was planning to go Michelin Pilots but they were out of stock on TireRack so I ended up getting Pirelli P Zero instead so I could get them soon.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+All+Season+Plus&partnum=335YR9P0ASPXL&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Golf+R&autoModClar=

Part of why I am switching is because for several months a year it seems like it is too warm for my winter tires in the afternoon but too cold for summer tires in the morning (like today it was ~30F this morning but it will be mid 50's by the time I drive home). I am not tracking my Golf so I'll be curious to see if the all-seasons feel like a step down from the dedicated summer tires in my day to day commute.

CaminoRacer

Sounds like a good idea. I've never regretted any ultra high performance all-season.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Are you going to swap the all seasons to snow tires still?  I just run all seasons on

Personally, I think there's a big drop off between Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and all seasons.  If it's just your daily commuter car though, and you're mostly taking the Z3 for fun driving in the summer, it's probably not a big deal.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 16, 2023, 08:39:55 AM
Are you going to swap the all seasons to snow tires still?  I just run all seasons on

Personally, I think there's a big drop off between Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and all seasons.  If it's just your daily commuter car though, and you're mostly taking the Z3 for fun driving in the summer, it's probably not a big deal.

Since I have a separate set of wheels for the snow tires I'll keep them for now, but I might just keep them in the garage and just switch over if there is a big snowstorm.

And to be fair to the Golf, I am switching from Continetal SportContact summer tires, not the Continental ExtremeContact, to the Pirelli P Zero all seasons. I think the P Zero tires are more akin to the "ExtremeContact" line of tires, so even if there is a downgrade from from summer to all-season its a higher bar for performance. I'll see how it goes.

FWIW I have the ExtremeContact summer tires on my Z3.

r0tor

I've been thinking about changing to some performance all seasons on my RX8.  I could probably use the car another 2-3 months out of the year with them on... So many days like today where temps are in the 20s on my drive into work and 60s coming home.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

I had the tires put on the wheels on Saturday and then yesterday I switched them out (was going to do it Sunday but it was so friggin cold). Took them for a spin in >60F weather yesterday. They felt fine, but there was too much traffic to do anything aggressive. It was cold again this morning (~35F) but hopefully the consistently warm weather will be coming soon!

Raza

How's the reliability been overall? I've been dead set on getting one of these as a daily driver (I need something more practical than the Z4 as my family situation has changed a lot over the past few years and I can't keep borrowing my brother's car), but I just ran into a guy who said his Golf R has been a nightmare. But he also tuned it, so I'm not sure how much that had to do with it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

It has been fine. I had to replace the battery when it died but otherwise no issues. Keep in mind I am not tracking the car or anything, it really is just my day to day commuter.