Should I kimchi the Optima

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 11, 2018, 01:03:22 PM

12,000 RPM

I'm really confused. Am I getting old? Am I not connecting with this car?

Both halves of me want to pay the Optima off ASAP so I can get into something more luxurious. Really feeling the Q50S Hybrid

One half of me is saying "leave it alone", other half is saying "you know the protocol... coilovers and wheels"

It would look better with my treatment but it's no sport sedan. It doesn't drive badly but coils + wheels would be strictly for looks. To that end not sure the endeavor is worth it. Only quasi justification is the iMove tires they put on it are truly awful, even just for tooling around once the weather gets bad.

I'm guessing the consensus will be "leave it the hell alone"... but coils + wheels would make it nicer to look at. What to do???
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 11, 2018, 01:03:22 PM
I'm guessing the consensus will be "leave it the hell alone"

[/thread]

2o6

You've had it like a fucking week

Also there are plenty of budget lowering kits that aren't coil overs.

This just seems fucking silly

GoCougs

Coils + wheels were major contributors to your last issue - such things radically alter how a cars handles, and 90+% of the time it makes it worse - tending toward unpredictability and imbalance such as snap oversteer, narrower breakaway and compromised wheel travel.

SJ_GTI

Coilovers seem like overkill.

Lowering springs are relatively cheap and easy. They will probaly make your car look "sportier" but potentially (probably?) drive worse.

Some aftermarket wheels could be nice. If you go relatively lightweight but still inexpensive you might be able to improve both the looks and the handling.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on June 11, 2018, 01:12:35 PM

Honestly, I'm surprised this thread didn't come sooner.

I think your big issue is that you buy a car thats cheapish, then put money into making it look/drive better but it'll never be exactly what you want, so you end up spending more while not being happy then rinse and repeat for the last 6 cars.  No idea what your ideal car is, but I would leave the Optima alone, save up for that one, then when ready buy it and be happy from the get go.  I know the Germans are really really good at wheel/tire fitment that just look amazing with the right package. 

shp4man

You should only kimchi it if you're.in deep kimchi. Ha, a little Korean War era reference.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on June 11, 2018, 01:20:51 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised this thread didn't come sooner.

I think your big issue is that you buy a car thats cheapish, then put money into making it look/drive better but it'll never be exactly what you want, so you end up spending more while not being happy then rinse and repeat for the last 6 cars.  No idea what your ideal car is, but I would leave the Optima alone, save up for that one, then when ready buy it and be happy from the get go.  I know the Germans are really really good at wheel/tire fitment that just look amazing with the right package.
G was very close to exactly what I want, I just totalled it. Only car I didn't fuck with was the Z, and the G basically handled and rode like it. So anything I'd be in long term would be like that, which would mean modifications for anything south of something like an M3.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 11, 2018, 01:18:16 PM
Coilovers seem like overkill.

Lowering springs are relatively cheap and easy. They will probaly make your car look "sportier" but potentially (probably?) drive worse.

Some aftermarket wheels could be nice. If you go relatively lightweight but still inexpensive you might be able to improve both the looks and the handling.
Putting lowering springs on stock shocks is bad business.... they do make upgraded shocks, but you're still limited in travel and adjustability. Coilovers would be like another $100. The coils on my G were only like $500 shipped and they were good. Could have used more low speed damping but otherwise good for the street

Quote from: GoCougs on June 11, 2018, 01:18:14 PM
Coils + wheels were major contributors to your last issue - such things radically alter how a cars handles, and 90+% of the time it makes it worse - tending toward unpredictability and imbalance such as snap oversteer, narrower breakaway and compromised wheel travel.
My setup was fine for the street. I never came close to its limits there. It was the combo of me having the bright idea to track my DD w/o coverage + the stability control failing (I'm guessing due to boiled brake fluid) and the course having walls that did me in. G did ride "worse" but it handled and looked better so to me the benefit was worth it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on June 11, 2018, 01:12:35 PM
:popcorn: I'm just here for the comments........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SJ_GTI

Not sure I get the derisive comments.

When I bought my last two cars I knew from day -1 (ie: before I even bought it) that I was going to be getting aftermarket wheels. On the car before that (a GTI) I knew from day -1 that I was going with an aftermarket suspension (did shocks, springs, and rear swaybar).

Speed_Racer

I vote leave it alone. Use the money you would spend on Kia parts to fund an inexpensive weekend project/track toy, especially since it sounds like the Ninja is on its way out too.

giant_mtb

if ur gonna mawd it, i'd jus start wit weels and c how it looks n not fuc with dienamics yet.

Tave

You should do what makes you happy in the long run. :huh:

One small point—anything that improves the "looks" isn't going to make a lick of difference from behind the wheel, and there's nothing stopping you from upgrading just the tires for now if that's your main gripe with it...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Damn... At least with normal buyers remorse you don't sink even more money into the poor decision
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on June 11, 2018, 03:10:56 PM
Damn... At least with normal buyers remorse you don't sink even more money into the poor decision

:popcorn:

MexicoCityM3

That Optima is nice - but you got it as a sort of subliminal self-punishment after the accident. You want a fun, fast car - the accident remorse wears off and now you miss it. Just embrace yourself and get something fun instead of trying to make a non-fun car fun with pointless mods.

Now on this point:

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 11, 2018, 01:37:37 PM
It was the combo of me having the bright idea to track my DD w/o coverage + the stability control failing (I'm guessing due to boiled brake fluid) and the course having walls that did me in. G did ride "worse" but it handled and looked better so to me the benefit was worth it.

You fail to mention your driving skills there. Get fucking lessons. It wasn't the walls, the fluid, the stability control or the decision to track that did you in. It was a single car accident. No shame in that but for the love of god do learn from it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Soup DeVille

Why do I remember some complaints about the G37 tending to snap oversteer on the street?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 11, 2018, 05:24:20 PM
Why do I remember some complaints about the G37 tending to snap oversteer on the street?
The tires that came with it went bald fast. The shocks it came with were also shot. That went away with new tires and the coilovers

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 11, 2018, 02:49:49 PM
if ur gonna mawd it, i'd jus start wit weels and c how it looks n not fuc with dienamics yet.
I am going to put the G wheels on and see how it looks. That might be the answer
Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 11, 2018, 04:52:52 PM

Now on this point:

You fail to mention your driving skills there. Get fucking lessons. It wasn't the walls, the fluid, the stability control or the decision to track that did you in. It was a single car accident. No shame in that but for the love of god do learn from it.
You are right, a better driver could have saved it. If I go back to the track I will get with an instructor then.

Quote from: r0tor on June 11, 2018, 03:10:56 PM
Not bad, you are like 1 for 30 million now.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 11, 2018, 05:29:17 PM
The tires that came with it went bald fast. The shocks it came with were also shot. That went away with new tires and the coilovers

The G37 OEM Pole Position RE050s are trash.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Did you crash the G?  Guess I missed that too.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on June 11, 2018, 05:34:17 PM
The G37 OEM Pole Position RE050s are trash.
It was on Nexen N5000 Pluses. Dealer inspection passing garbage. Like $70 a corner for stock G Sport sizes :wtf:

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Give me some credit guys... I went full speed ahead with the G

I think I will just replace the shit tires with something stock sized and serve my sentence peacefully.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2018, 10:18:22 AM
Give me some credit guys... I went full speed ahead with the G
Into a wall, we know. That's why this thread exists. :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

If the tires are crap I'd replace those and otherwise leave it alone. Save your money and take a driving school at some point.

Laconian

Don't even bother, it's just more pointless running on the hedonic treadmill. ;)

Kind of serious about that. You'll grow accustomed to the mods and then you'll be back to baseline levels and noticing all the nits and flaws in your Kia in no time.

Save the money and hassle for a car that benefit more from $mods, one that's closer to your ideal than an admittedly sexy FWD grocery getter.

12,000 RPM

Yea I'm going to leave it alone. New tires and spend mod money on paying it down + ending my sentence early. Maybe do one of those BMW driving events :devil:

Just very strange for me to buy a car and leave it alone. But I don't mind driving it as is, which is probably a good thing. I did change the radio, and one of the headlight bowls is burnt, but that's really it. Very strange

Laconian

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2018, 12:25:24 PM
Yea I'm going to leave it alone. New tires and spend mod money on paying it down + ending my sentence early. Maybe do one of those BMW driving events :devil:

Just very strange for me to buy a car and leave it alone. But I don't mind driving it as is, which is probably a good thing. I did change the radio, and one of the headlight bowls is burnt, but that's really it. Very strange
Slap some light tint on it and add a nice Sub Woofer. That'll hold you over till I'm ready to sell the GS!  :mask:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

C6 won't work with 2 kids in daycare :zzz:

Came with tint which is nice. Never had it but I think I'm gonna get it on everything going forward.

Stock stereo is OK, could use some amps to fix the balance with the new HU (long story). Besides that, tires and fixing the headlights I'm really struggling to justify any other expenditures, which is new for me. Car gets to and from work fine