We are gifting you a classic car! Which one would you like?

Started by shp4man, February 01, 2019, 10:06:39 AM

shp4man

OK, this is just a fake contest, but let's pretend you won and could have any vehicle that was produced before 1970 that you want.
There are only two rules.
You must keep it five years.
You must drive it at least 3000 miles a year.
If not, you lose the vehicle.

What is your choice?

BimmerM3

Are maintenance costs covered by the contest as well, or am I on the hook for those?

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 01, 2019, 10:08:47 AM
Are maintenance costs covered by the contest as well, or am I on the hook for those?
You maintain it and insure it. And repair it if it breaks.

FoMoJo

Now that's really tough.  My first instinct would be to go for...

A 51 Mercury Led Sled, because there's just nothin' cooler...

I'd want the flat head as well, just for the sound.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on February 01, 2019, 10:14:40 AM
You maintain it and insure it. And repair it if it breaks.

Damn, that makes it a much harder question. :lol: I don't know enough about cars from that era to know which would be relatively cheap to maintain.

Maybe a soft top FJ40 or Jeep CJ. Should have a big enough community around them that parts and people to help with advice aren't too hard to come by, and between top down summer driving and some off-roading, I could probably pile on 3k a year.

Either that or some old roadster probably.

93JC

Sheeeeeeeeit, I only put 7,000 km (4,350 mi.) on my daily driver. I don't think I could manage to put 3,000 mi. annually on a second car. :cry:

Laconian

Quote from: 93JC on February 01, 2019, 11:26:01 AM
Sheeeeeeeeit, I only put 7,000 km (4,350 mi.) on my daily driver. I don't think I could manage to put 3,000 mi. annually on a second car. :cry:

<-- 2,000 miles
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

3,000 miles a year is easy.

1969 911S for me.  Modern enough to make 3k/year not feel like a chore.  Will always hold its value.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

That one's easy for me, Citroen DS.

I would feel more comfortable driving modern performance cars, with better tires and airbags and and disc brakes and various nannies. So if I'm getting an older car, I'd want one that is built and drives unlike anything on the road today.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Since one is getting the car for free, might as well go for a Lamborghini Miura. Any maintenance cost could redeemed by selling it after 5 years.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on February 01, 2019, 12:55:46 PM
Since one is getting the car for free, might as well go for a Lamborghini Miura. Any maintenance cost could redeemed by selling it after 5 years.

That's my second choice
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Why couldn't it be a car before 1975?  :winkguy:

Make my choice a Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Convertible, preferably in metallic green with cream interior.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Some interesting choices here. The Porsche 356 is a good one. I would happily put 3000 miles a year on one, and more.

But then again, another part of me wants this:

How about both!  :lol:

FoMoJo

Well, if you can have 2, I want another one as well...

I always regretted not buying it/one like it, when I had the chance.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 03, 2019, 12:18:10 PM
Some interesting choices here. The Porsche 356 is a good one. I would happily put 3000 miles a year on one, and more.

That's great and all, but I specified a restomod 356 soft top. I want to keep the basic idea of the air cooled flat four, but add more biggerer displacement, balanced and forged rotating assembly, stiffened block, high lift cam and double valve springs so it can make power to 9000 RPM. Add a small turbo charger with a giant wastegate. Port fuel injection, high volume oil pump and oil cooling. Then of course, modern brakes, suspension, wheels/tires. and a quick ratio electric power steering rack.

Have it looking something like this, but not black. Give me a royal blue metallic one with a black top, no stupid bumper sticks, and not exactly those wheels.

Payman

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 03, 2019, 12:18:10 PM

It's the only model of Porsche that appealed to me,  This one would be perfect...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on February 03, 2019, 01:17:46 PM
Not a single 4 door car. I thought they were best?  :hmm:

'61 Plymouth Fury, 383 with dual quads and a 3 speed torque flite. Come get some.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 03, 2019, 01:33:00 PM
'61 Plymouth Fury, 383 with dual quads and a 3 speed torque flite. Come get some.

A friend of mine had a Plymouth Fury, a 1962 I believe.  It had a record player for 45s.  The only record he had was That's Amore by Dean Martin.  I think he was gay.  I drove it once.  The power brakes were boosted to a ridiculous level.  I almost put him through the windshield the first time I stopped; I was used to manual brakes on my Mercury.  He had a daytime running light installed.  He was ahead of his time.

shp4man

Virgil Exner was quite the car designer. Love it, hate it, whatever, but they were unique, for sure.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 03, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
That's great and all, but I specified a restomod 356 soft top. I want to keep the basic idea of the air cooled flat four, but add more biggerer displacement, balanced and forged rotating assembly, stiffened block, high lift cam and double valve springs so it can make power to 9000 RPM. Add a small turbo charger with a giant wastegate. Port fuel injection, high volume oil pump and oil cooling. Then of course, modern brakes, suspension, wheels/tires. and a quick ratio electric power steering rack.

Have it looking something like this, but not black. Give me a royal blue metallic one with a black top, no stupid bumper sticks, and not exactly those wheels.

Restomod a 356? What you suggest is heresy, sir. Heresy.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 04, 2019, 10:43:46 AM
Restomod a 356? What you suggest is heresy, sir. Heresy.

I mean, a replica would be fine if ur thread rules will allow it.

shp4man

I'll allow it. Replicas in 356's and Cobra's are completely modification cleared.  ;)