Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

MrH

Lol, I was hoping the test instructor would ride on the back and whisper the directions into your ear.  That's what I was imagining when you were describing it all.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 25, 2019, 09:11:45 AM
Lol, I was hoping the test instructor would ride on the back and whisper the directions into your ear.  That's what I was imagining when you were describing it all.

While wearing some assless chaps?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 25, 2019, 09:24:37 AM
While wearing some assless chaps?

Aren't all chaps assless?  I mean, if they weren't, wouldn't they just be pants?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

I rode to work today and lane split for the first time since it's been legal in Utah. :rockon:

The bike is running well. Now I know to always suspect the valves when the engine seems wonky. My dad's VW was backfiring and acting dumb for a few months and we thought the carbs needed to be cleaned and maybe re-jetted, but it turned out to be the valve adjustment. I'm spoiled by the hydraulic lifters in SBC's.

Speed_Racer

I've only filtered once so far and it saved a whole lot of time waiting at a red light. I don't dare try it on the Explorer though

CaminoRacer

There was a big gap today so I went for it.

I forget how easy it is to leave cars in the dust at a stoplight. This bike has 50-55 hp and it still roasts people.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 16, 2019, 02:19:18 PM
There was a big gap today so I went for it.

I forget how easy it is to leave cars in the dust at a stoplight. This bike has 50-55 hp and it still roasts people.

Imagine if it had just 100 HP.  :pullover:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 16, 2019, 10:30:09 AM
I rode to work today and lane split for the first time since it's been legal in Utah. :rockon:

The bike is running well. Now I know to always suspect the valves when the engine seems wonky. My dad's VW was backfiring and acting dumb for a few months and we thought the carbs needed to be cleaned and maybe re-jetted, but it turned out to be the valve adjustment. I'm spoiled by the hydraulic lifters in SBC's.

Lane splitting is legal in Utah now? The internet still tells me California is the only state. It should be a federal law.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2019, 03:13:59 PM
Lane splitting is legal in Utah now? The internet still tells me California is the only state. It should be a federal law.

Only filtering, so it can only be done past cars that aren't moving on roads under 45 mph.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 16, 2019, 07:54:44 PM
Only filtering, so it can only be done past cars that aren't moving on roads under 45 mph.

Oh is it under 45 mph? I might have done it illegally then :mask:

My commute is on a 50 mph road.

Eye of the Tiger

I wouldn't want to split lanes at full speeds. I only do it (illegally) when traffic is jammed up and crawling.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 16, 2019, 07:59:39 PM
Oh is it under 45 mph? I might have done it illegally then :mask:

My commute is on a 50 mph road.

Yeah there are a lot of nuances to it:

• Road must be 2+ lanes in the same direction w/ a speed limit of <45
  • All cars in front of you must be completely stopped before you can start filtering, and filtering at no more than 15 mph
  • Filtering on freeway on/off ramps are a no-go
  • Gotta merge back into traffic where you are if the light turns green before you make it to the front

12,000 RPM

Sounds reasonable to me.... that's basically how I illegally filtered in NYC. Cops never gave me grief

Bros I have got zero bites on this motorcycle. Thinking of just saying fuck it, throwing the ZX6R forks on and keeping it. Only thing I hate is the weak top end (which can be fixed relatively easily) and the parallel twin sound (not so much)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2019, 05:23:41 AM
Sounds reasonable to me.... that's basically how I illegally filtered in NYC. Cops never gave me grief

Bros I have got zero bites on this motorcycle. Thinking of just saying fuck it, throwing the ZX6R forks on and keeping it. Only thing I hate is the weak top end (which can be fixed relatively easily) and the parallel twin sound (not so much)

You can always just keep it listed and keep on riding through the summer

CaminoRacer

My front end is kinda jello-y. Not very confidence-inspiring. I should probably change the fork oil. But would that cause it? Or is it the bias ply tire? Or just the specific brand/model of tire? They're Shinko somethings, IIRC.

giant_mtb

Shinko makes some great tires. But they also make some shitty cheap ones.

Super helpful, I know.

Speed_Racer

If it's wallowing, then some fresh or thicker fork oil, or some stiffer Sonic Springs would probably help. Shinkos are such a hit and miss depending on the tire model.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 18, 2019, 10:53:21 AM
You can always just keep it listed and keep on riding through the summer
I haven't ridden since September 2017 aside from a brief test ride this summer. Might as well get some pants and get back to it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 18, 2019, 11:52:48 AM
If it's wallowing, then some fresh or thicker fork oil, or some stiffer Sonic Springs would probably help. Shinkos are such a hit and miss depending on the tire model.

Some slightly stiffer springs are on the list too. I've been holding off on the fork oil because I might do the springs. Maybe I'll just do 1 at a time and see how it goes. If fork oil and springs don't fix it, new tire time.

I replaced the wheel bearings last year so that's fine. I think I need new triple tree bearings since they seem flat spotted on center, but I don't think that's the main source of the jello.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 19, 2019, 06:37:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4f9TCg4zw

Don't get me wrong, that's pretty badass, but he did land on a fairly steep, downsloping grassy slope. Different sport, but I've seen guys take worse falls than that in the Red Bull Rampage and keep going.

Also, that made me think of a guy I sorta knew in high school who was really into dirt bikes, and even had some minor sponsorships back in the day. He's still riding for a living, as it turns out. :rockon: Nothing too mainstream, but apparently right now he's working with a travelling bike/motorcycle stunt show.

https://www.instagram.com/adrummond_fmx/?hl=en

CaminoRacer

I've got Shinko 712 tires. Maybe I'll move up to a Dunlop or Michelin or something on the front. Unfortunately I'm limited to bias ply since I have wire spoke wheels.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 19, 2019, 09:18:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, that's pretty badass, but he did land on a fairly steep, downsloping grassy slope. Different sport, but I've seen guys take worse falls than that in the Red Bull Rampage and keep going.

Also, that made me think of a guy I sorta knew in high school who was really into dirt bikes, and even had some minor sponsorships back in the day. He's still riding for a living, as it turns out. :rockon: Nothing too mainstream, but apparently right now he's working with a travelling bike/motorcycle stunt show.

https://www.instagram.com/adrummond_fmx/?hl=en

Oh yeah, he's totally lucky he landed where he did.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 19, 2019, 09:54:36 AM
I've got Shinko 712 tires. Maybe I'll move up to a Dunlop or Michelin or something on the front. Unfortunately I'm limited to bias ply since I have wire spoke wheels.
Time for a GSX-R fork, VFR SSSA, and aluminum Marchesinis

You can polish them all to retain a classic look

CaminoRacer

I've looked into fork swaps but it's not as easy on my bike vs a Honda CB750/etc. There's like 1 or 2 forks that fit and they're super rare.

If I want a sportier bike I'll just buy an MT-09 or -07

CaminoRacer

I finally got around to figuring out a helmet mount for my Faux Pro. Just need a curved 3M sticky mount, since I only have flat ones. Couple bucks off ebay.

SVT_Power

I didn't know Alaska is a helmet optional state. If I end up renting a bike for a day, I might have to do a 5 min ride without one on just to see what it's like.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna