Rotary Engine Making A Comeback In 2022 As A Range Extender For Mazda MX-30 EV

Started by cawimmer430, January 06, 2021, 06:18:17 AM

cawimmer430

Seems a bit bizarre to use a Wankel as a range extender, given their poor use of fuel and oil burning tendencies...

But I get why Mazda is doing it: HISTORY & HERITAGE:praise: :lol:

Rotary Engine Making A Comeback In 2022 As A Range Extender For Mazda MX-30 EV

Mazda announced their first electric vehicle back in 2019 with the MX-30, but for many people, the 124-mile (200 km) range left much to be desired.

However, there were talks that Mazda would include a gasoline-powered range extender, possibly in the form of a rotary engine. Now the waiting has finally come to an end, as the rotary range extender for the MX-30 has reportedly been confirmed for 2022.

The MX-30 has been suffering on its initial rollout, only meeting about half of Mazda's sales target of 1,000 units per month, according to the report from Nikkei. Most of the problems seem to stem from the lack of range and the cumbersome "freestyle doors", but Mazda hopes to make up for the former by employing the range extender.

The report notes that Mazda hopes use the rotary engine to double the range from 124 miles (200 km) to 248 miles (400 km). The idea is that not only will Mazda be able to help customers reduce range anxiety, but they also hope to use the rotary engine to differentiate themselves from other EV manufacturers.

For those not already familiar, a rotary engine uses a rotating triangular rotor mounted to an eccentric shaft to produce its power, rather than the pistons and crankshaft of a traditional engine. This allows it to be lighter and much more compact, as well as have less vibration, than a piston engine of the same power, making it ideal for use as a range extender.

The rotary engine was used in some of Mazda's most storied vehicles, but it was abandoned by the company after the discontinuation of the RX-8 back in 2012, largely due to reliability concerns. While rotary engines made excellent power for their size (the 1.3-liter in the RX-8 made 232 hp, or 178 hp per liter), they were prone to apex seal failure, necessitating an engine rebuild more often than most owners would like. In addition, they were known to burn oil and have sub-par fuel economy.

Hopefully Mazda will be able to sort out most of the issues with the rotary, and we will finally see it make a return, even if it is just as a range extender.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/rotary-engine-making-a-comeback-in-2022-as-a-range-extender-for-mazda-mx-30-ev/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

If it still can't match the range of other electrics with a gas powered range extender, what's the point?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on January 06, 2021, 07:06:14 AM
If it still can't match the range of other electrics with a gas powered range extender, what's the point?

I think matching the range of other EVs isn't that difficult. Mazda stated that this EV-SUV was specifically designed for city people and their own market research had indicated that their driving habits and the 200 km range could last for almost a week.

The use of a rotary as a range extender is very weird, though. Should have used a modern DIESEL:praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 06, 2021, 07:12:55 AM
I think matching the range of other EVs isn't that difficult. Mazda stated that this EV-SUV was specifically designed for city people and their own market research had indicated that their driving habits and the 200 km range could last for almost a week.

The use of a rotary as a range extender is very weird, though. Should have used a modern DIESEL:praise:

Rotaries are very small and very light relative to the power produced.  IIRC, the RX-8's motor is physically smaller (while having a bit more displacement) than the 1000cc motor in my motorcycle but makes 80% more power and torque.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

I'd hope it runs at redline 100% of the time to charge the batteries. I want to pull up to a stoplight and see one of these things just brapping away
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 06, 2021, 07:28:09 AM
I'd hope it runs at redline 100% of the time to charge the batteries. I want to pull up to a stoplight and see one of these things just brapping away

This is an electric vehicle that I can get behind.
Or make it like the Koenigseigegeggg Ragreareara, so the ICE basically sends power directly to the electric motors.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

I think, when tuned to run at a specific RPM exclusively, that a rotary is nearly as efficient as a reciprocating engine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 06, 2021, 07:12:55 AM

You know how you shake a can of coins to get the cat off the curtains? That's what a single cylinder diesel would be like :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT