Used EV residuals

Started by Laconian, January 22, 2021, 11:17:40 AM

Laconian

My mom is looking for a new car. She wants to get a Prius Prime because she drives a Prius and the Prime is... like... more of one? I don't know, but I had a panic attack when she mentioned that.

I think her driving needs -- non-COVID about 50mi/day, with occasional weekend trips of 160mi round trip -- would be perfectly addressed by a BEV with 200+ mile range. My dad has a Mazda3 so they already have a longer range ICE car in their stable. I recommended a Bolt, new or used, but what are some EVs worth looking at? Used is preferable - I think her budget goes up to around $35k, which is really on the low end for most medium-range EV cars out there.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Used Bolts with 30k miles are like $15k now
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

CaminoRacer

New ones can be had in the mid $20ks due to discounts, so used ones have dropped in value a lot

Laconian

OK, that's what I told them before, but adding "a Bolt owning friend said" helped lower their guard.

I just called them and now they're pretty interested in EVs! I must've knocked her from her hybrid rut.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 22, 2021, 12:46:48 PM
Why is that, exactly?
People are worried about battery end-of-life. But, from the (admittedly anecdotal) evidence I've seen, batteries degrade a lot slower than is popularly thought. Especially in cars like the Volt, which have decent thermal management systems. I think the Leaf's shitty reputation in this respect tarred the whole segment.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 22, 2021, 03:53:26 PM
People are worried about battery end-of-life. But, from the (admittedly anecdotal) evidence I've seen, batteries degrade a lot slower than is popularly thought. Especially in cars like the Volt, which have decent thermal management systems. I think the Leaf's shitty reputation in this respect tarred the whole segment.

Most EVs don't come close to touching 100% charge in order to prolong the battery life, no?

CaminoRacer

Volts don't, but most full EVs charge to real 100%. They want to get the most range possible. But there are settings to limit the charge %. I keep my Bolt at 88-90% instead of going all the way to 100% for normal commuting.

afty

In Teslas you set the max charge percentage manually. The car warns you if you set it to 100% too frequently.

There's also the Kia Niro. I've never met anyone who has one, though. For $38k before state incentives, you could do a base Model 3.

Laconian

Quote from: afty on January 22, 2021, 07:51:56 PM
In Teslas you set the max charge percentage manually. The car warns you if you set it to 100% too frequently.

There's also the Kia Niro. I've never met anyone who has one, though. For $38k before state incentives, you could do a base Model 3.

My mom says she's too old for the MMI-centric Tesla interiors. :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 22, 2021, 04:59:00 PM
Most EVs don't come close to touching 100% charge in order to prolong the battery life, no?
Yes. For day-to-day you go to around 80% & only exceptionally 100%.

Porsche, I think it is, has a hard cap at 80% - you can't go higher. It may even be that Porsches' displays state 100% when the underlying batteries are only at 80. They prioritize longevity over numbers used for boasting at the clubhouse bar.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤